Free Gay Sex Photos, Movies, Reviews and Forums at JustUsBoys
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    JUB Addict aristomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,477


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Is this a good or bad idea?

    My oldest neices and nephews (I have 9 of them) are one by one entering college age. My sister's son will go to college next year. She plans to buy a house at whatever school he wants to go to. The plan is he can comfortably live in a house versus a dorm and also teaches him responsibility by him renting out the space to other students and then he will be the landlord.

    Good idea or not in your opinion?

    From my perspective, I understand that she and her husband want to give their son the bear chance he can get. But isn't the point of college is to let them have their freedom so they can finally move outside their parents' shadows, make their own mistakes, and actually learn to be independent?

  2. #2
    Can you hear me yet?
    gsdx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Location
    Peterborough Ontario
    Posts
    50,965
    Blog Entries
    26


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    I fear your sister will soon learn the meaning of the words 'party central'.
    Spherical Bastards: People who are bastards no matter how you look at them. - Fritz Zwicky

  3. #3
    JUB Addict aristomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,477


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsdx View Post
    I fear your sister will soon learn the meaning of the words 'party central'.
    Haha, ya.

  4. #4
    coleos patentes rareboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    62,139


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    I went to school with a friend whose parents did that.

    They put up the down payment and then the rent from the house covered the payments and utilities.

    The kid took care of it and they sold at a profit when he was finished school.

    Of course, that was at a time when housing was more affordable in many places.

  5. #5
    Resurgam unloadonme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    201,617


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Financially it's probably a good idea. In terms of independence, cutting the apron strings and so on, maybe not such a good idea.

  6. #6
    JUB Addict mikey3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Partnered
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,583


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    I think a major part of college is socialization. I lived at home all through school and felt I missed out. My daughter is half way through her third year and has always lived in residence. I think i prefer the residence route because they learn how to live with others and how to deal/cope with various unpleasant situations on their own, a skill that will transfer into the workforce. Plus a kid shouldnt have the burden of a house. Yes, ive seen these gifted hiuses turn into party central too.

  7. #7
    JUB Addict aristomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,477


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by rareboy View Post
    I went to school with a friend whose parents did that.

    They put up the down payment and then the rent from the house covered the payments and utilities.

    The kid took care of it and they sold at a profit when he was finished school.

    Of course, that was at a time when housing was more affordable in many places.
    That's also along the line of what they're thinking. To be honest, they're kinda well off, so they're thinking of buying the house with cash. So if/when the kid wants to sell it, would be a good boost to start the kid off in the real world.

    That's another thing I'm unsure about. I just feel it's not a good idea to give a kid this much resources to begin with. I know he will be 18, but to me that's still a kid. I know I wasn't ready to handle that much responsibility when I was 18. And to be frank, I probably would have squandered it.

  8. #8
    Get it on! peeonme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    11,016


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Much depends upon family dynamics, if the young man is not some coddled brat who thinks that mommy and daddy owe it to him then it could be a good way to go. Personally, I think that when a boy becomes a man that it's time to push them out of the nest.

  9. #9
    coleos patentes rareboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    62,139


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by aristomaniac View Post
    That's also along the line of what they're thinking. To be honest, they're kinda well off, so they're thinking of buying the house with cash. So if/when the kid wants to sell it, would be a good boost to start the kid off in the real world.

    That's another thing I'm unsure about. I just feel it's not a good idea to give a kid this much resources to begin with. I know he will be 18, but to me that's still a kid. I know I wasn't ready to handle that much responsibility when I was 18. And to be frank, I probably would have squandered it.
    I helped my nephew buy his first property at the age of 18.

  10. #10
    Salt In The Wounds. Cormac135's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    70,183


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Sounds ideal, hopefully he's a sensible lad.

  11. #11
    Ruminating
    sixthson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    15,890


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    It would depend on the maturity of your nephew. Do you see him being able to handle it? They must or are they just looking at this from a financial perspective? At first glance, it might seem like a way for them to keep him tied to them, but if the are paying for college and housing anyway, it's not much different.

    Parents of means often protect their children financially. There is a tax free annual exclusion gift that can be given to a child, or anyone for that matter, where no one pays taxes on it. For 2018 it's $15,000 per year. Both parents can give that amount, so can grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc. By the time a child heads to college, he could have a sizeable nest egg. Can they be trusted not to squander it? Some probably, but you don't wait until the child is 18 to teach them responsibility.

  12. #12
    JUB Addict HoodedRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,184


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    I lived in a student house during the early 90s (even though I've never been a student). One of the guy's wealthy parents bought him the house and he rented the extra rooms to other students. It seemed to work very well.

  13. #13
    JUB Addict aristomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,477


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedRat View Post
    I lived in a student house during the early 90s (even though I've never been a student). One of the guy's wealthy parents bought him the house and he rented the extra rooms to other students. It seemed to work very well.
    I guess I've been scared for years that my nephews and nieces would turn out to be spoiled brats. It is a very popular meme in our culture: the hard working rags to riches parents having absolute spoiled brats as children.

  14. #14
    too late... Harke the Boeotarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Widower
    Location
    Stuttgart
    Posts
    14,558


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by aristomaniac View Post

    From my perspective, I understand that she and her husband want to give their son the bear chance he can get. But isn't the point of college is to let them have their freedom so they can finally move outside their parents' shadows, make their own mistakes, and actually learn to be independent?
    College and the associated housing have become so expensive that it is becoming the worst place to learn to be independent. YouŽd do much better just working a job and renting your own place for that.

  15. #15
    JUB Addict Telstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    40,073


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsdx View Post
    I fear your sister will soon learn the meaning of the words 'party central'.
    Only stupid parents allow that to happen.
    Strict parents won't allow it.
    Victim of PC police. Some of the PC police are good at making untrue things up about other jub members.

  16. #16
    Uncharted Thad1527's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Location
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Posts
    4,819
    Blog Entries
    89


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Wait two years. Let the kid enjoy the on-campus experience and make friends and connections. If he wants to go on at this school, then it's a pretty good idea. Some college towns are far more affordable than others, though...the South might work well in this scenario. Going to NC State with a house in Raleigh would probably be a win.

  17. #17
    JUB Addict aristomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,477


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thad1527 View Post
    Wait two years. Let the kid enjoy the on-campus experience and make friends and connections. If he wants to go on at this school, then it's a pretty good idea. Some college towns are far more affordable than others, though...the South might work well in this scenario. Going to NC State with a house in Raleigh would probably be a win.
    Good idea. I'm forwarding this idea to sister next time we talk.

  18. #18
    Thank you, Dahling! NotHardUp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available
    Location
    Rocket City
    Posts
    9,404


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    A few questions.

    Is the child socially likely to meet people and socialize if living off campus? Of course, living in a dorm doesn't guarantee socialization, but it greatly increases the chances as well as throws together people of different classes and ethnicities. I did both, living on campus during terms, and off campus in summers, once house sitting for a professor, and another time sharing a house with three guys. Dorms were frustrating but helpful in exposing me to new experiences and people. The house shared was fun -- I still remember crawling out of bed and along the floor across the bedroom to surprise my roommate with a machete. Good times.

    Will the house prevent the child from possibly learning the value of earning the basics?

    Will the child be more likely to get bogged down in a live-in relationship that could hijack classes and plans?

    Of course, you can't know some of these, nor can the student, but if I were a parent, I'd be discussing some of those same questions.

    It may have been my insecurities, but the few people I knew who owned a condo or house during college seemed to feel like the rest of us were sort of chumps for not being "smarter" financially. I also knew middle class kids who invested their college loans to earn more interest than they owed on it. Blech.

  19. #19
    Thank you, Dahling! NotHardUp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available
    Location
    Rocket City
    Posts
    9,404


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thad1527 View Post
    Wait two years. Let the kid enjoy the on-campus experience and make friends and connections. If he wants to go on at this school, then it's a pretty good idea. Some college towns are far more affordable than others, though...the South might work well in this scenario. Going to NC State with a house in Raleigh would probably be a win.
    I attended a private university the last three years of my degree. They would not allow underclassmen to live off campus. Only juniors or seniors were allowed.

  20. #20
    JUB Addict LeicsDom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Location
    Leicester UK
    Posts
    4,212


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by aristomaniac View Post
    My oldest neices and nephews (I have 9 of them) are one by one entering college age. My sister's son will go to college next year. She plans to buy a house at whatever school he wants to go to. The plan is he can comfortably live in a house versus a dorm and also teaches him responsibility by him renting out the space to other students and then he will be the landlord.

    Good idea or not in your opinion?
    I had a friend whose parents did just that. It worked so well that they retained the house after he finished uni and used to rent it out as a second income

    Over here students only get to live on campus for the first year. After that they have to go into private accommodation. Why line someone else's pockets if you can afford to buy a house yourself for your child?
    Last edited by LeicsDom; December 7th, 2018 at 05:20 PM.

  21. #21
    Back to Creepy Old Fart Yooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    6,396
    Blog Entries
    16


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Some schools consider dormitory housing an essential part of the overall experience; some have a Freshman residency rule, requiring on-campus housing for part or all of the first year. Only a difficult-to-obtain wavier exempts the student. Just sayin'; it would be smart to check this out.

    In some schools, there are programs within the dorms extending the overall experience, with appropriate credit. Don't discount on-campus housing automatically as a bad choice.

    I suppose it depends where the student is going.

  22. #22
    JUB Addict LeicsDom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Location
    Leicester UK
    Posts
    4,212


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: Is this a good or bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by aristomaniac View Post
    I guess I've been scared for years that my nephews and nieces would turn out to be spoiled brats. It is a very popular meme in our culture: the hard working rags to riches parents having absolute spoiled brats as children.
    The mistake all these parents make is to devote so much time to making money that they have no time for their kids. They then throw money at them thinking this will compensate

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •