Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

No more composting for me

Since I moved here in the early 2000s, I've been composting my green waste. The bin belonged to a neighbour and, when he and his girlfriend moved out, they left the bin. I've been using it regularly since then.

Last year, my former landlord sold the building. The new landlord has been making some changes around the place, putting in new windows and doors, new tile floors in the halls, and so on.

Today he told us that the compost bin was going.

It's gone, and all my compost with it.

If he makes us get rid of our cats, I'll be looking for a new place to live.
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: No more composting for me

That's a shame.

Most owners and landlords are pretty cat friendly these days.Just say NO!

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

You should have composted him.

Edit.......the landlord not the cat.

Orientation
    Gay

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Did he give a reason?

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Vannie View Post
    That's a shame.

Most owners and landlords are pretty cat friendly these days.Just say NO!
    He's afraid of them.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I believe that under the Landlord Tenant Act you are not entitled to remove any benefit that a tenant has had.

I have run into this a few times.

So if you were previously not forbidden from keeping cats under your old lease, they can't just change it.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^ My previous landlord keeps me apprised of the rules. He sold his restaurant to the new landlord and then sold him the apartment building a few years later.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Did he consider the compost bin unsightly? Is he trying to make the property more upmarket? Was the bin tatty? Is there a spot where you can compost without a bin?

I have an embarrassment of riches for space, and I just dump my leaves and clippings out back about 30 ft. from the back fence (my side of it). It backs up to woods. There is a natural draw there where water runs off from the hill, and there is a deep hole from a missing tree that must have rotted out some time ago, leaving the root gap below. It will take several years to raise the draw with leaves, even with two acres of trees contributing.

I'm also going to raid it often, as the soil on the hill is poor and clay, so I need lots of compost to help lighten it as I add perennial beds.
    Last edited by NotHardUp1; September 14th, 2018 at 07:33 PM.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

My husband and I are getting ready to go into the rental property business. We can't decide whether we should allow people to have dogs or not. On the one hand, we love dogs and currently have 3 of them. But on the other, dogs can do real damage to the property and are more of a liability than we think we want to deal with.

Also, I know a lot of renters have pitbulls. I'm not a fan of this breed and I think too many people get this dog for some kind of status symbol. After all, shelters everywhere are overwhelmed with this breed. I'm thinking if we allow our tenants to have dogs, we will have to deal with pits.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by NotHardUp1 View Post
    Did he consider the compost bin unsightly? Is he trying to make the property more upmarket? Was the bin tatty? Is there a spot where you can compost without a bin?
    I didn't talk to him. All I know is that he didn't want it there because we don't have gardens. (We do. Two at the front, one at the back.)

Ruminating
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by aristomaniac View Post
    My husband and I are getting ready to go into the rental property business. We can't decide whether we should allow people to have dogs or not. On the one hand, we love dogs and currently have 3 of them. But on the other, dogs can do real damage to the property and are more of a liability than we think we want to deal with.

Also, I know a lot of renters have pitbulls. I'm not a fan of this breed and I think too many people get this dog for some kind of status symbol. After all, shelters everywhere are overwhelmed with this breed. I'm thinking if we allow our tenants to have dogs, we will have to deal with pits.
    What landlords do here is to charge a separate damage deposit for the pet (more for dogs than cats) and a monthly surcharge on the rent. It's not unusual to limit the size of the dog by weight or breed. You could ban pit bulls.
    Also, if your rentals are houses with a yard, dogs can destroy a yard, too.
    Last edited by sixthson; September 14th, 2018 at 07:48 PM.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by gsdx View Post
    I didn't talk to him. All I know is that he didn't want it there because we don't have gardens. (We do. Two at the front, one at the back.)
    Is it not worth making an appeal to him?

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by aristomaniac View Post

What Sixthson said is dead on. As a landlord, you'll grow into your level of comfort for risk.

I will say that you will find that new pet owners are a greater risk. Young folks particularly get a dog, find it is more work than planned, avoid the back yard if they fail to clean up often after it, walk the dog less in winter, and then may rationalize away the damage done to landscape if they never cared about landscape anyway.

My guess is you will be very specific in the lease, with clauses that describe limitations specifically, require express approval by the landlord for any animal kept by the tenant on the property, which includes cages insects and fish and reptiles.

I also appeal on behalf of pet owners everywhere for you to not charge additional rent. People should not be penalized for having a pet, not beyond the understandable cleaning fee for carpets. A pet deposit should be just that, a risk mitigation, not a punishment.

You can be a good guy landlord while never surrendering your rights to protect your investment. You might also want to insert language that asserts your right to periodic checks on the property for the expressed purpose of inspecting conditions in regard to damage by the pet as well as ensuring animals are safe and not abused. Owners might chafe at the implications, but you as a landlord are liable for your property and having a pet is a privilege when renting, not a right. They should be willing to understand that you have a need to establish responsibility, as deposits often cannot cover the cost of actual damages.

Oh, and watch lots and lots of Judge Judy.
    Last edited by NotHardUp1; September 14th, 2018 at 08:04 PM.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^ Nope. His biggest problem is that this is his first income property. He doesn't know how to be a landlord. He wants things his way. End of story.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Well, it's your situation, so you know it best. Bossy landlords can be a pain and control freaks.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^ He doesn't come around very often, especially inside the apartment. He's afraid of my cats.

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

You might be 'grandfathered' in at least until the end of your lease. Check the laws and see.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Truthfully, I'm surprised the city doesn't have an ordinance against them - particularly in small shared spaces.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Kahaih View Post
    Truthfully, I'm surprised the city doesn't have an ordinance against them - particularly in small shared spaces.
    Composting is encouraged here and it's very common.

My next-door neighbour in the apartment beside me used it and there is another bin on another neighbour's property out back about 20 metres away from where mine was. I just have a new landlord who doesn't want one on his property.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Maybe one of your neighbours would be happy to receive your kitchen waste. Might even share the composted material.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by gsdx View Post
    ^ Nope. His biggest problem is that this is his first income property. He doesn't know how to be a landlord. He wants things his way. End of story.
    All of us who are landlords probably do.

But we are governed by the Landlord Tenant Act.

And some of us are ruled by common sense.

We limit the numbers of animals and type that our tenants can have. Right now we have Stella, a pit/bull cross living in the house we rent next door to our office and she is totally lovable.

JUB Addict

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Bins can be placed in more attractive containers that open on top for easy access.

Ruminating
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Is your yard small and the bin very conspicuous?

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by nyctopgam View Post
    Bins can be placed in more attractive containers that open on top for easy access.
    Mine opened on the top. The lid could be turned one way to lock it down and the other way to vent it. It was open at the bottom and about twice the size of an inverted trash can.

It was on a pile of dirt. I had to make a step in it to get up to the bin. When I began to compost, the bin was on flat ground. I made that pile of dirt and people used it over the years.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

/\ I always thought that people were just trying to be cute when they said they were older than dirt.