JUB Addict
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Gaydar Maintenance?

Hey, I live in Jamaica, definitely not the most tolerant of places. This might affect how certain mannerisms are displayed, but does anyone here know how to tell if a guy is gay? I'm essentially the only gay guy I've meet irl so I clearly don't know much, including how to operate a Gaydar. Are there any behavioral patterns, features or anything else to notice to tell if guy is gay or is likely to be gay?

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: Gaydar Maintenance?

Unless it's 'in-your-face' obvious, gaydar is nothing more than an impression you get when you assess the entire 'package'. That includes the posture, the walk, the talk, the voice, the face... everything. Just remember that it doesn't always work.

One of the most useful signs I use is to watch the man and observe how he looks at other men and see if he looks at men the same way I do. Watch who they look at and how they look at them.

It's people-watching and interpreting what you see and a lot of people never figure out how to do it.
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I love the concept of 'operating a gaydar'.

Ah... if it was only that easy.

You have the extra problem of living in a place where a lot of homos are probably deep in denial and/or on the down low...so they are consciously repressing or hiding many of the outward characteristics of being a homo.

I agree with the above. There really isn't a lot of magic to having gaydar. It is just about observation and looking for the subtle clues in behaviour or appearance. And the eyes really are the windows to the soul for most people.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Many of the tells that gays give off in open societies are affectations that are consciously or subconsciously acquired to signal a reaction against heterosexual male norms. A boy lisps to sound more effeminate, or he reacts in more dramatic way to effect what he perceives as style, or he models his words or body movements after certain idols.

Other than that, gaydar is ust as Neil and Rareboy said, a losing proposition when the man is not projecting any of those beacons.

As societies accept gay men, there will be fewer and fewer outward flags, as there will be less and less need to act out in defiance of norms, and men will just be men, without the need to adopt psychosocial personas that are currently associated with gay-isms. Executives, farmers, stoners, flamers, bikers, plumbers and all the rest of the men will just be those people who also happen to go home at night and fuck other men.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Stop looking at me!

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Well, if he shows stereotypically Gay mannerisms, I look at the way he walks. If he struts his stuff like a girl does, he's most likely Gay, if he doesn't, then he's probably an effeminate straight guy(also known as metrosexual). But hey, not all campy Gay guys walk like that, so I could be wrong.
    There is no great genius without some touch of madness.