Free Gay Sex Photos, Movies, Reviews and Forums at JustUsBoys
    "Repent, Harlequin!" TickTockMan's Avatar
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Should the US Government invest in Bullet Trains or other transportion options?

Like Asia and Europe have?
    "I yearn for the day when soul transplants come to be."

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: Should the US Government invest in Bullet Trains or other transportion options?

I think yes, but after it has invested in the existing infrastructure. Many, many bridges and roads and sewers are long overdue for replacement and repair.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: Should the US Government invest in Bullet Trains or other transportion options?

Yes. It should have.

But I suspect that the time has passed for that.

too late... Harke the Boeotarch's Avatar
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Widower

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by TickTockMan View Post
    Like Asia and Europe have?
    Trains are not universally hot in Europe. They are generally expensive and unpleasant. The faster ones are more expensive still and often don't even offer room to take luggage like bicycles. Also, you need to buy a new ticket after you pass a border sometimes, even within the EU.

Even with all the hassle at the airports these days, flying in Europe is often much more convenient and cheaper after a only a few hundred kilometers.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I don't trust it, disaster waiting to happen.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^ They haven't had a very good record. Seattle and Philadelphia for two.
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by gsdx View Post
    ^ They haven't had a very good record. Seattle and Philadelphia for two.

Oh it's been tried in the US? I know it have been talked about between LA and Vegas for years, but I didn't think it had been tried here.

JUB Addict

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Harke the Boeotarch View Post
    Trains are not universally hot in Europe. They are generally expensive and unpleasant. The faster ones are more expensive still and often don't even offer room to take luggage like bicycles. Also, you need to buy a new ticket after you pass a border sometimes, even within the EU.
    in some cases you may be right but the AVE train from Madrid to Valencia and Barcelona at 4oo k per hour has tickets starting at 39 Euros, Euros Star 39 GBP . I for one like carrying my bags on no 2 hour wait in an airport etc.
    Last edited by opinterph; August 7th, 2018 at 06:22 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

On the Prowl
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Harke the Boeotarch View Post

Even with all the hassle at the airports these days, flying in Europe is often much more convenient and cheaper after a only a few hundred kilometers.
    All high speed trains I know have luggage compartments to take luggage and bicycles (ICE, TGV, Eurostar, Thalys), have you ever taken your bicycle on a plane?

too late... Harke the Boeotarch's Avatar
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Widower

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas80 View Post
    All high speed trains I know have luggage compartments to take luggage and bicycles (ICE, TGV, Eurostar, Thalys), have you ever taken your bicycle on a plane?
    Thalys would not take my bicycle from Paris last summer, and I heard the same from another cyclist I met in the train I could take my bicycle home to The Netherlands in.

JUB Addict

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

of course they should have--but like everything in this country and infrastructure it never happened----love a nice fast train ride---drove to Montreal last week would have rather taken a train---driving is 4 and a half hours---Amtrak would have been nearly 9 hours and if you read the reviews can take up to 11 hours because of crossing the boarder. I could nearly be in fucking Australia in that amount of time.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Oh it's been tried in the US? I know it have been talked about between LA and Vegas for years, but I didn't think it had been tried here.
    They've been working on it since the 1960s. Wiki has a good article about it and a map which shows the high-speed lines. (There isn't much of it.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-s..._United_States
    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Of course. The USA cannot keep lagging behind in everything forever. It has to catch up on infrastructure big time. It has spent 70 years doing nothing but building, building, building and building. The result is a horrible ex-urban sprawl where everything crumbles. American cities should downsize and occupy a sustainable patch of land where restoring ageing infrastructure is affordable. All those sparsely populated exurbs with their faux-Texan ranchettes cannot produce enough of a tax base to keep things going for long.

When rich foreigners with overseas experience (and the luxury of being able to make comparisons) move to the USA, they mostly want to live in, say, NYC, San Francisco or southern Florida, but not in Orange county, the leafy suburbs of Atlanta or the vast expanses of Texas. That speaks volumes.
    NAKED SWIMMING LESSONS IN SCHOOL, ARMY AND YMCA?
    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/thre...aked-at-school

JUB Addict
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Yes, the U.S. should build high speed rail lines.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Rickrock View Post
    Yes, the U.S. should build high speed rail lines.
    hate to be that guy but what would be the impact on the environment? not that we haven't already fucked the planet over beyond the telling of it, just for shits and giggles

JUB Addict
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

How would high speed rail impact the environment any worse than roads or regular railroads? They might even reduce the congestion on roads.

Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Rickrock View Post
    How would high speed rail impact the environment any worse than roads or regular railroads? They might even reduce the congestion on roads.

I would think in the long term it would help.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I will wait to see if this happens:

https://hyperloop-one.com

It is promising quite an interesting ride to the airport for me! Much better than the hour or so it now takes (and $24 in tolls round trip).

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Upon rereading this, the comparison seems irregular.

Does North America need to develop high speed rail, as the comparison is to two other continents.

Canada, according to Google, is the only G7 country to not have it.

At any rate, I don't see the comparison being continental unless the geography is the topic, as every continent has high population concentrations somewhere (excluding Antarctica) so could justify bullet trains.

If we are not simply comparing fiscal issues between Germany, Japan, the US, and others, then yes, North America should develop high speed rail. It would be great to take a bullet train from Dallas to Houston to Cancun. Same for Toronto to New York. Same for Portland to Vancouver, BC. Chicago to New Orleans. Atlanta to Miami. Vegas to LA.

Type B/A post-gay empath!
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I know it have been talked about between LA and Vegas for years, but I didn't think it had been tried here.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotHardUp1 View Post
    It would be great...Chicago to New Orleans...
    Yes, early this year in ONE of the free weekly Chicago papers (can't remember WHICH, one chance in three I'd guess right), there was an article about some people talking about setting up a hyper-rail type of things from Chicago to...OK, New Orleans would make some sense...but...CLEVELAND?????

OK, Cleveland IS considerably nicer than people think it is...but for people in Chicago I think that Cleveland's "bad reputation" precedes it, because only a rather low percentage of Chicagoans have visited Cleveland. Fast rail between the two...because people in Chicago (where a significant part of the population celebrates the variety and diversity which can rival NY City in some areas) are...uh, in such a HURRY to get to Cleveland. Yes, as I said, Cleveland is NOT what most people think...but it ain't Chicago.

I really thought I was reading the Onion. OK, maybe the Onion would have had the fast train terminus, after leaving Chicago, at Youngstown. Yeah, that's it.
    "Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." -The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939
    WASHINGTON: I can't tell a lie. NIXON: I can't tell the truth. TRUMP: I can't tell the difference.
    Make, for a man, a fire - and he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man afire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    "MAKE ORWELL FICTION AGAIN!" This is my response to MAGA.

On the Prowl
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

You can take your dismantled bicycle in a cover on Thalys but I think they found out it's not very practical because all Thalys-trains will be redesigned with space for bicycles you won't have to dismantle anymore.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas80 View Post
    You can take your dismantled bicycle in a cover on Thalys but I think they found out it's not very practical because all Thalys-trains will be redesigned with space for bicycles you won't have to dismantle anymore.
    Gurl wut?

Orientation
    Gay

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by frankfrank View Post
    Yes, early this year in ONE of the free weekly Chicago papers (can't remember WHICH, one chance in three I'd guess right), there was an article about some people talking about setting up a hyper-rail type of things from Chicago to...OK, New Orleans would make some sense...but...CLEVELAND?????

OK, Cleveland IS considerably nicer than people think it is...but for people in Chicago I think that Cleveland's "bad reputation" precedes it, because only a rather low percentage of Chicagoans have visited Cleveland. Fast rail between the two...because people in Chicago (where a significant part of the population celebrates the variety and diversity which can rival NY City in some areas) are...uh, in such a HURRY to get to Cleveland. Yes, as I said, Cleveland is NOT what most people think...but it ain't Chicago.

I really thought I was reading the Onion. OK, maybe the Onion would have had the fast train terminus, after leaving Chicago, at Youngstown. Yeah, that's it.
    It was mainly because of how affordable it is to live in Cleveland.