Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: Have you ever had stage fright?

I didn't and almost passed out.
    "I yearn for the day when soul transplants come to be."

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I was a musician when I as younger. Played the Mozart Clarinet Concerto as the soloist with my orchestra in a youth orchestra in Chicago. Also played in a jazz band and participated in several orchestras and bands over the years.

Even professionals who have performed all their lives still get stage fright every once in a while. I once attended a concert with a guest trumpetist Byron Strippling. Anyone who knows Strippling knows he is an awesome musician. I've been a fan of him for many years. And yet in the first part of his solo his trumpet sounded dull and flat. Then about a minute in or so he started sounding like himself again. I later talked with some people who also noticed the same as I did and everyone agreed he had stage fright for that moment.

My most embarrassing stage fright experience was playing my trumpet for a wedding for pay. Oh my goodness, I was absolutely awful. I played everything correctly. But my trumpet sounded dull and flat. My hands were shaking. I had to use my entire will power to get through the performance. That was the last time I ever accepted money to do a wedding performance.

How to get over stage fright? Pure will power. There is no other way around it. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

To be brave is to behave
    Bravely when your heart is faint.
    So, you can be truly brave
    Only when you truly ain't.

- Piet Hein
    "Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Yes, although the only time that stands out in my memory is a vocal solo I sang at age 14 and forgot some of the words.

I'm not currently playing in a band or singing in a choir, but I have done so many times. Most of the time, you have a bit of tension that makes you a little hyped, but you get used to that.

The main method for dealing with it is to have so much practice and rehearsal that you fall into it.
    CHAMPAGNE! Champagne for EVERYONE!!!

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by aristomaniac View Post
    I was a musician when I as younger. Played the Mozart Clarinet Concerto as the soloist with my orchestra in a youth orchestra in Chicago. Also played in a jazz band and participated in several orchestras and bands over the years.
    Love that concerto.

I was in bands throughout high school. I began on the trombone and tinkered with just about every other wind instrument. (There were no strings in high school.) I ended up concentrating on the tuba/Sousaphone.

My worst moment was in a concert in my first year. I played second trombone. There was a solo in it. Just 4 bars, 4 notes descending. Unfortunately, on the night of the concert, the first trombone was sick and I was shifted up. I'd never played that part before. We got to the solo. I hit all the notes on the slide and I blew into the mouthpiece, but nothing came out except air.

Fortunately, the teacher/conductor worked through it and the rest of the band picked up where my solo should have finished.

Now, suffering anxiety attacks, there are plenty of 'stage fright' moments.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by gsdx View Post
    Love that concerto.

I was in bands throughout high school. I began on the trombone and tinkered with just about every other wind instrument. (There were no strings in high school.) I ended up concentrating on the tuba/Sousaphone.

My worst moment was in a concert in my first year. I played second trombone. There was a solo in it. Just 4 bars, 4 notes descending. Unfortunately, on the night of the concert, the first trombone was sick and I was shifted up. I'd never played that part before. We got to the solo. I hit all the notes on the slide and I blew into the mouthpiece, but nothing came out except air.

Fortunately, the teacher/conductor worked through it and the rest of the band picked up where my solo should have finished.

Now, suffering anxiety attacks, there are plenty of 'stage fright' moments.
    Haha I was so tired towards the end that I cheated. Mozart for some damn reason put a very complicated section toward the end. I was too tired to play it that fast, so I improvised in the concert. Instead of playing all the notes in that section, I played every other note. The director gave me a weird look LOL.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^ Not to hijack the thread, but I'm rather keen on Julian Bliss. No stage fright here.

Oh, and he's not to bad on the clarinet, either.

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I used to be the fill in preacher in my younger days at the church that I attended and occasional at others. It never bothered me to stand and speak in front of people.

Old Man Jay Is UnLoveable 72-Jay's Avatar
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Only way I would not have stage fright is if the room infront of the stage was completely empty.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Just shit your pants.

And then relax.

huh?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I had to do a presentation before 100 or so at a seminar years ago. I prepared as best as I could, they wired me up for sound so I could move around...I looked at the audience, took a deep breath and went on with it. I’d say 30 seconds or so into it I relaxed and it went great..
    FPNY
    Annoying JUBBERS since 2003

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Never had to do it, though in other things i've never had trouble performing on the night.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

2cents Re: Have you ever had stage fright?

No fright but....Once while at a podium talking to 200 residents at Shady Pines,a senior from Paramus catholic high school snuck up behind me and pulled my chef pants down.Everyone had a laugh

And I did a cable channel commercial for a Bergen County restaurant. I was very nervous because I wanted everything to be perfect.