Free Gay Sex Photos, Movies, Reviews and Forums at JustUsBoys
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Weird Is this just a little weird for a funeral?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/body...182105773.html

I found it to be a bit out there.
    Last edited by peeonme; July 10th, 2018 at 11:03 AM.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: Is this just a little weird for a funeral?

Well, we ceased the practice of having open caskets period in our family, so I find all of it creepy.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Several years back there was one guy who was kind of standing at his own funeral to greet the guests

If I find it...I will post it.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

A bit of a fashion victim as well it seems.

Once the life force is gone it's basically a meat suit, let the family do what they find appropriate.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by peeonme View Post
    I do wonder whether the family have seperation issues

JUB Addict

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

do they have to straighten these bodies out to put them in a casket after the little staged event is over?

seems like a bit of abuse to the dearly departed.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I can't see why they should put them in a casket.

Roy Rogers had Trigger stuffed.

If this corpse resembles the listless teen playing a video game, why would they ever bury him? Just leave him there in the den and occasionally walk through and ask him to take out the trash. Probably will keep him "alive" indefinitely.
    CHAMPAGNE! Champagne for EVERYONE!!!

Ruminating
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by NotHardUp1 View Post
    I can't see why they should put them in a casket.

Roy Rogers had Trigger stuffed.

If this corpse resembles the listless teen playing a video game, why would they ever bury him? Just leave him there in the den and occasionally walk through and ask him to take out the trash. Probably will keep him "alive" indefinitely.
    And don't forget to dust him.

JUB Addict
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Yes, it's pretty weird, but to each his own.

Slut

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Not all all weird...a great way to create a final memory.

I distinctly remember both my Grandmother's and separately my Best Friend's funerals...both had open caskets and really crappy embalming jobs to the point that I remember looking in the casket and saying "that is not Grandma"... and same exact experience with my best friend. Not in a not accepting the death kinda way but in just the physical appearance and in no way was how I remembered them in life. Sucks that that was my last memory of them.

May be a bit unorthodox, but a great way to remember a lost person as a final memory IMO!
    Last edited by SC6201; July 10th, 2018 at 09:11 PM.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I believe it was back in the 18th and 19th centuries families did something similar to this.

Having a portrait painted or a picture taken was expensive back then so a lot of families had just a few done and if they were quite poor they might just have one family picture or just a picture of the children. If a family member would pass away suddenly they'd put the body in it's best clothes, make it look as lifelike as possible and pay someone to take a portrait with family members standing/sitting around the body to make it as natural looking as possible.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Looks like a great way to attract a necrophiliac.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I find the whole cult of "last memory" or viewing of the corpse to be insufferably maudlin. Our memories are what they are. We knew the person in life, whether funny, brilliant, doltish, cruel, generous, helpful, lazy, or devoted. Suggesting that we need a final viewing in order to have a good memory is rather a false notion, perhaps Victorian in its preoccupation with creating a false thing.

When I was just out of college, before I taught, I worked briefly at a funeral home. There was a fairly broad range of observations made available by how different families and different classes memorialize the dead. My impressions from that brief stint remain. Spending lavishly in order to demonstrate social standing, renting limousines, buying outer vaults for caskets, and so many other practices play to vanity.

The best funerals of friends I have attended focused on the great memories shared with the deceased and served the best purpose of a funeral, to mark the passing from life of a friend and to celebrate the brief encounter with a kindred soul.

These families making tableaus of corpses can do as they please, but it all seems like so much flopping about when not knowing what to do about death and dying. One doesn't need a posed body to remember little Marcus as a couch potato or gamer. The real and repeated viewing of exactly that scene is well burned into engrams of those actual events.

For those who may liken the ritual to the making of busts or statues of the famous, they are not the same. Statuary commemorates the name of the famous for posterity, for accomplishments of valor or invention. Today, we live in an era of digital photography, and there is little need for bronzes or marbles to preserve the likenesses. In fact, sculptors today are often disdained because the image is not faithful enough.

Let the dead be dead. Don't hold open casket funerals, don't prop up empty shells at bars for make believe. Be a leader instead of a follower.

Sex God

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

At my mothers wake I actually had a woman say I would never be cremated it would hurt and in front of every one I said you need mental help !

I suggest you see the loved one a movie from 1965 and a book by Waugh who wrote Brideshead revisited!
    Last edited by Pierresro; July 11th, 2018 at 03:34 AM.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by SC6201 View Post
    Not all all weird...a great way to create a final memory.

I distinctly remember both my Grandmother's and separately my Best Friend's funerals...both had open caskets and really crappy embalming jobs to the point that I remember looking in the casket and saying "that is not Grandma"... and same exact experience with my best friend. Not in a not accepting the death kinda way but in just the physical appearance and in no way was how I remembered them in life. Sucks that that was my last memory of them.

May be a bit unorthodox, but a great way to remember a lost person as a final memory IMO!
    Not necessarily a bad embalming job. I remember looking at the bodies of my parents and grandparents and realizing that once the actual life had gone out of them, they didn't look like I remembered them. Just waxy caricatures somehow of their living beings.

It is the same thing I see when I look at these corpse pictures. How disappointing it must actually be to see them as waxy mannequins with no life at all in their face.

Far better to just have a portrait of them as you want to remember them at their funeral.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Isn't New Orleans famous for unusual funeral customs? I am surprised this got any press! Maybe the makers of Doritos are promoting this. "The great taste of Doritos...you CAN take it with you!"

too late... Harke the Boeotarch's Avatar
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Widower

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

One is reminded of this anti-pot PSA.

I envy Sarah a little bit...
    Last edited by Harke the Boeotarch; July 11th, 2018 at 02:39 PM.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by rareboy View Post
    Not necessarily a bad embalming job. I remember looking at the bodies of my parents and grandparents and realizing that once the actual life had gone out of them, they didn't look like I remembered them. Just waxy caricatures somehow of their living beings.

It is the same thing I see when I look at these corpse pictures. How disappointing it must actually be to see them as waxy mannequins with no life at all in their face.

Far better to just have a portrait of them as you want to remember them at their funeral.
    Completely agree. The first embalmed body I saw was my great grandmother's in 1977. I have no criticism of the mortician, but you could see the makeup line end in her scalp and she looked terse. Plus, there's the whole unnatural act of looking down on an adult who is fully dressed and supposedly sleeping in a coffin.

I'm quite grateful, as it was a huge boon to my faith. The body is but a shell, and once bereft of a spirit, is but dust and should be allowed to return to dust, not preserved like a leather bag. I've never had any sentimentality for a dead body since that day. It's all about the person, not the body. Playing with the body is a poor substitute for accepting the loss and behaving in a way that isn't denying it.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

It's weird to see the word 'embalmed' used this way.

Embalming is all about adding preservatives to the body. Nothing to do with makeup, clothing, or positioning the body.

It's quite rare, I believe, for an undertaker even to use a bit of 'purple Jesus' for colouring in the embalming process.
    Last edited by Kahaih; July 11th, 2018 at 04:45 PM.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

My first Honey died at 28 and looked horrible embalmed. Didn't even look like him.

Even though I have been to a lot of other funerals where I have heard people say...."Oh she/he looks so good" "They did a good job with her/him"

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Kahaih View Post
    It's weird to see the word 'embalmed' used this way.

Embalming is all about adding preservatives to the body. Nothing to do with makeup, clothing, or positioning the body.

It's quite rare, I believe, for an undertaker even to use a bit of 'purple Jesus' for colouring in the embalming process.
    It's merely convention. The embalmer does his thing, then a cosmetics person does the makeup and hair. Many times, the mortician does both, so there's nothing too unusual in people conflating the roles. When I worked at a mortuary, I helped with hair, and it was not stressful.

And to be fair, the mortician does a lot more than add chemicals. The blood is drained (when possible), the body is washed, the jaw may be sewn shut, putty may be applied if a cancer affected the face or if there was an autopsy or a deforming accident.

It's really not simply preserving the body -- it's preparing it for viewing.
    Last edited by NotHardUp1; July 11th, 2018 at 04:54 PM.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Embalming is done for one reason only - to preserve the body - to slow down the rotting process.

Embalming isn't even always necessary for a timely viewing/funeral. It has nothing to do with the other 'display/presentation work.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

When I first saw my dad laid out he looked like Humphrey Bogart. Problem was he never did in life. Had to go home and get his dentures and insist that they use them instead of whatever they put in there, though they insisted it wouldn't make a difference. Afterwards they admitted it did. He looked like himself.

Mom was an other story.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Embalming is done for one reason only - to preserve the body - to slow down the rotting process.

Embalming isn't even always necessary for a timely viewing/funeral. It has nothing to do with the other 'display/presentation work.
    Yes, but you are being clinical. And, it's patently obvious that embalming is performed for the chief purpose of presenting the body to the living prior to interment. It doesn't serve anyone's purpose to make sure none of those bodies buried in the cemetery aren't rotting away too quickly. It's for the funeral. Of course, the mortuary lobby succeeded in getting legislatures to make embalming mandatory in most states, but that was mere charlatanism to boost business for a greedy industry. It hardly protects the public health in any significant way.

Common people use embalming inaccurately, and refer to morticians as embalmers, synonyms.

And, as I said, they are not inaccurate, as the job requirements of quite a few embalmers has included body preparations that are cosmetic, not merely preservationists. Most mortuaries are small and have small staffs. They don't have specialization of labor like some factory.

You may have to be licensed to be allowed to embalm, but few have only the job of embalming without other responsibilities that I have described.
    Last edited by NotHardUp1; July 12th, 2018 at 01:34 AM.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Fortunately, now that people realize the actual harm produced by embalming chemicals leaking into the water table....there is an increasing push to get rid of the practise...or at least to require that casket vaults are sealed to prevent leakage.

This bizarre Victorian era practise that took off during the American Civil War needs to end.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

/\ Embalming was quite necessary when dead soldiers were being shipped back home by train, particularly in hot weather.

Still is, when bodies are held long without refrigeration, or transported long distances. I believe that most airlines insist on a full 5 point.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

By bizarre, I was referring to it becoming a common practise in general society.

Along with the two or three days of visitations before the funeral, although I grant that it would have taken people longer to travel to the corpse.

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I planned my funeral when I retired. I specifically stated that I did not want to be embalmed. I would rather be fertilizer than a pollutant.

JUB Addict
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I think open caskets are creepy as well. I don't want to see a loved one laid up dead in a box imo. I saw a Hispanic family left the body standing up near the front door for a few days kinda creepy walking in and seeing John standing there lifeless looking at you.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Former boxer funeral. Shades on....don't look at me

JUB Addict

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

didn't the Egyptians sort of do this already?