"Repent, Harlequin!" TickTockMan's Avatar
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: Thoughts and Prayers

Here may be a good start.

Prominent Republican Donor Issues Ultimatum on Assault Weapons

A prominent Republican political donor demanded on Saturday that the party pass legislation to restrict access to guns, and vowed not to contribute to any candidates or electioneering groups that did not support a ban on the sale of military-style firearms to civilians.

Al Hoffman Jr., a Florida-based real estate developer who was a leading fund-raiser for George W. Bush’s campaigns, said he would seek to marshal support among other Republican political donors for a renewed assault weapons ban.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartanntp
    "I yearn for the day when soul transplants come to be."

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by gsdx View Post
    You are saying that I'm saying that. I'm saying that lobbies shouldn't hold such power over the government. The same goes for the pharmaceutical industry.

Eliminating the lobbies and and the enormous donations won't fix the problem, but it will remove the impetus for the government to do what they want it to do. As long as the donations continue, nothing will be done and more students will be murdered in cold blood. That blood should be on someone's hands, but all that comes out of it is excuses and diversions.
    The republicans are asking us continue to line their pockets with gold, to give them a gift. Lobbies will fund these wealthy murders.
    See how beautiful we are and blessed, too. Together we are excellent.

Orientation
    Gay

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

And the deflector in chief in the White House is blaming the FBI for the shootings- "too much time spent on Russia". Typical Trump, when the heat starts to increase, float some outrageous lie on Twitter to try and take the heat off. He needs to go, he is way above his level of competence.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Holidays On The Way
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

You are saying that I'm saying that. I'm saying that lobbies shouldn't hold such power over the government. The same goes for the pharmaceutical industry.

Eliminating the lobbies and and the enormous donations won't fix the problem, but it will remove the impetus for the government to do what they want it to do. As long as the donations continue, nothing will be done and more students will be murdered in cold blood. That blood should be on someone's hands, but all that comes out of it is excuses and diversions.
    Look. All I'm saying is money is the root of all evil and this root finds fertile ground in the republican party in which to grow and do its evil. You can't just cut off the root. You have to change the soil in which it which the root is deliberately planted by the NRA and purposefully cultivated by the republican party. Otherwise, it will spring up again later in a worse form.

The same applies to other issues and to both parties. But that is off-topic from this post and thread. Stay on-topic people. Please.

Status
    Available
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by cityboy-stl View Post
    Look. All I'm saying is money is the root of all evil and this root finds fertile ground in the republican party in which to grow and do its evil. You can't just cut off the root. You have to change the soil in which it which the root is deliberately planted by the NRA and purposefully cultivated by the republican party. Otherwise, it will spring up again later in a worse form.

The same applies to other issues and to both parties. But that is off-topic from this post and thread. Stay on-topic people. Please.
    He is on topic, at least s'far as I can tell. As much as you are, anyway. As for your 'money is evil's root', it actually goes, 'For the love of money is the root of all evil.' Clarity and distinction of concept is important in communication. And pointing out that 'money' represents quite a few eye-on-the-prize to the detriment of others' will do nothing for your opinion, I suspect.
    On a long vacation.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Look. All I'm saying is money is the root of all evil
    Actually, it's the 'love of money' that is the root of all evil, and the Republicans love money. And for people who love money, they're certainly not going to snub their noses at 3 million dollars. You are arguing that the money is the cause of the problem, but I'm saying that the love of money is the cause. There is a huge difference.

And this IS on topic. People are begging Trump to do something about the senseless shootings and, because of the millions and millions of dollars he and his cronies are getting from the NRA, it would be suicide for him or any of his well-paid senators to do anything against the NRA. He loves the almighty dollar far more than he loves America or Americans.

Totally on topic.

This cartoon represents Aaron Feis' welcome in Heaven by victims of school shootings. Feis was the coach who died from gunshot wounds trying to protect students from the bullets. How many children will never grow up like you did because the NRA spends millions and millions of dollars to buy the politicians to make sure they will do nothing to prevent other wackos from destroying lives?

I'll tell you. A lot.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Relaxed
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^If that image does not make you stop and wipe away a tear, then in my opinion there is no hope for you.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by rareboy View Post
    Read in the NYT this morning that Al Hoffman, Jr., big donor to Dubya and the GOP is threatening to withdraw support unless the GOP does something about the sale of assault weapons. https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/17/gop-...s-nytimes.html

Holidays On The Way
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

You are arguing that the money is the cause of the problem, but I'm saying that the love of money is the cause. There is a huge difference.

And this IS on topic. People are begging Trump to do something about the senseless shootings and, because of the millions and millions of dollars he and his cronies are getting from the NRA, it would be suicide for him or any of his well-paid senators to do anything against the NRA. He loves the almighty dollar far more than he loves America or Americans.

Totally on topic.
    I am NOT arguing that (love of) money is the root cause of the problem. That is what YOU are arguing. I am arguing that (love of) money is a symptom of the problem. The root cause is the passionate, whole-hearted belief of the republican party in absolute, unrestricted gun rights which the NRA is taking advantage of with mounds of cash for them to promote that agenda. Nothing will change and the money will continue to flow until republicans accept the reality that GUNS ARE THE PROBLEM.

But maybe I'm giving republicans too much credit for having some integrity and they are supporting gun rights solely for the money. IDK.

By off topic, I mean don't counter with what about the democrats taking money for something, or what about abortion or what about immigration and so on. That would be off-topic.

Holidays On The Way
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Type B/A post-gay empath!
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Yes. That is exactly what you're saying. You keep saying republicans are doing it ONLY for the money and implying that stopping the money would solve the problem. NO. Money is a problem but not the ONLY problem. Republicans are willing co-conspirators, accomplices, with the NRA.They are not dupes taking cash. They believe in the NRA mission with all their hearts and accept millions to promote the NRA agenda because that is who they are. Stopping the money does not stop the problem. Republicans will do the same thing even without the cash. I'm all for getting money out of politics but that is not a cure all for this issue. The heart of the republican party needs to change as well. That can only happen through the vote.
    Wait, wait, guys...you're both right.

It depends on WHICH Republicans you're talking about.

If you're talking about the "GRASSROOTS" Republicans - the voters who have their opinions, but are not beholden to any direct funding donations BRIBES from the gun manufacturers (with the NRA as a middleman), Republicans ARE INDEED for some sort of gun control. I can't provide any links but I seem to remember seeing something like 65% or 70% agreement, among voters who align Republican, that something needs to be done.

This isn't as high a percentage as those who align Democrat, but it's still substantial.

In fact, it HAS TO be (or has to have been) higher than that, because I believe after Sandy Hook 91% of the public wanted some restrictions. With 91% of all people, the math wouldn't even work out to have only 70% of Republican voters in agreement. After all, NOT 100% of Democrats agree either...

If you're talking about THE REPUBLICAN PARTY - yes, the structure and organization of the GOP itself - their opposition to any kind of gun control is entirely intractable because they ARE awash in these BRIBES. Any kind of gun control whatsoever goes against the gun manufacturers' hegemony to try as hard as possible to completely bury this country ten feet deep in more and more manufactured guns, stretching across every square foot of the United States from sea to shining sea. In order to get what they want, guns MUST be made readily available to the criminally insane and such.

Banning "assault weapons" (such as they may be called) and weapons-of-warfare, etc. does NOT violate the Second Amendment in any way. None of this prevents choosing to have a handgun or a hunting rifle, etc. - and those will adequately do the job of disabling/killing the "bad guy" who invades your home. Somebody with an AR-15 (for defense) isn't going to be able to grab that, any faster than they could grab their more-conventional firearm.
    "Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." -The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939
    WASHINGTON: I can't tell a lie. NIXON: I can't tell the truth. TRUMP: I can't tell the difference.
    Make, for a man, a fire - and he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man afire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    "MAKE ORWELL FICTION AGAIN!" This is my response to MAGA.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

The First Amendment guarantees us free speech. However, we have traditionally had censorship for morality and libel laws to inhibit absolute freedom of expression. One cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater. Society and technology have evolved and the authors of The Constitution could not have conceived of the internet, social media, bullying, etc. It has been suggested that the Second Amendment, our right to keep and bear arms, however, is absolute and without restriction. Unless of course, one is a convicted felon. Broadly, possession of an unregistered gun carries a potential penalty of a fine or imprisonment (AK and one other state prohibit registration). The authors of the Constitution, to put their situation in context, had recently come away from the American Revolution which relied solely on citizen soldiers. The United States, under the Articles of Confederation had no standing military and thus relied on citizens armed with there own weaponry to form a militia should the need arise. The authors of the Constitution had no way of foreseeing a nation with approximately 90 guns per 100 people in the population. Upwards of 270 million guns. [note: The large number of guns means the number of guns used in 64% of all our homicides is a small percentage. 13,000 dead and twice that many injured annually is not insignificant]. The most of any country in the World. Nor could they have foreseen that some people would have hundreds of guns, nor the advent of automatic weapons. Automatic weapons conceived, designed and manufactured to kill efficiently in combat. And that despite a standing military, civilians would rely on the Constitution to justify having these military grade weapons in their homes and businesses. Why automatic weapons in the home? One can't really hunt with them. You CAN, I suppose, but rabbits and quail are out of the question. One needs to target larger game....moose, bison, humans, police. It is argued that our citizens need automatic weapons for protection. From what? There is no Zombie Apocalypse, people. If you have a burglar or trespasser, a licensed hand gun wielded by someone who has some idea what to do with it would seem to be the best alternative. To get back on point, as one cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater, neither can they whip out an AK-47 in a crowded theater, or a grade school, office building, concert venue....unless, of course they happen to have one or a dozen. And the NRA and the politicians they pay for portray that this is a right guaranteed in our Constitution. When the Right can stop worrying about being reelected, NRA campaign contribution and feeding their base on abortion, gay marriage, transgender bathrooms, whatever, they need to focus..not on praying for the dead, but on meaningful legislation for all our safety. Talk about RIGHT TO LIFE. WTF? We are told that Life is an inviolate, sacred, precious gift from God in the womb, but frankly, nobody gives a flying fuck once they get in public schools. Then they're just target practice for any unhappy maladjusted goof with a couple hundred bucks, and become collateral damage to promoting the Conservative Agenda.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^ I find it interesting that the amendment was written so ambiguously and so open to interpretation. The first words are, for the most part, completely ignored and irrelevant: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State". That would mean that every American who owns a firearm is in the militia, but we know that is not true. And a State is not 'free' when any nut job can march into any school in the nation and murder any number of school children in cold blood.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

People are livid that Trump made the massacre all about him.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/parkland-s...190118563.html

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

People are livid that Trump made the massacre all about him.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/parkland-s...190118563.html

I am one of those people. I am so angry I have cried. Imagine being the parent of a lost child, seeing this. Just imagine!

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

FEAR THE LIBERAL DETENTE! TX-Beau's Avatar
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

This will never stop until people like Scott lose thier jobs no matter how much blood money they take.

FYI - the NRA political wing, isn't the same as the NRA membership wing. NRA members do have majority support for sensible gun laws. The NRA political wing (that whore LaPierre and his minions) take massive bribes from manufacturers and their sole priority is cash, in order to maximize the profits for their Johns. They are lobbyists for the arms industry, and don't actually speak for, or indeed care what the members actually think.

So next time you are baffled by an argument for lax gun laws, whatever it is, remember that the NRA is just throwing shit at the wall looking for whatever might stick.
    ATTACK OF THE LIBERAL ELITE

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I hope there is a picture which shows more people at this march today than at the Trump inauguration.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by swmjck View Post
    I hope there is a picture which shows more people at this march today than at the Trump inauguration.
    I found this. It was taken from atop the 'Newseum'. (I've never heard of that place before.) From the looks of it, I would say it's more reminiscent of Obama's inauguration than Trump's pitiful crowd. Does anyone know if Trump was there or is he golfing in Florida again?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/24/us/ma...ves/index.html

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

"If you listen real close, you can hear the people in power shaking," Parkland survivor David Hogg said to roars from the protesters packing Pennsylvania Avenue from the stage near the Capitol many blocks back toward the White House. "We're going to take this to every election, to every state and every city. We're going to make sure the best people get in our elections to run, not as politicians but as Americans.

"Because this," he said, pointing behind him to the Capitol dome, "this is not cutting it."
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/apos-vote-...204835254.html

Holidays On The Way
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Apparently over 800,000 showed up...more than for Trump's inauguration.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^Very powerful and spot on, but unfortunately the NRA and their sycophants are incapable of reflection, humility, or shame.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

And then denies the request to have flags at half mast.

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^ Sensationalized headline which suggests he has a thought or a prayer.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I see that the White House reversed themselves and have ordered flags at half-mast.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by rareboy View Post
    the White House reversed themselves
    Too much heat, I guess. But I'm not surprised that Trump has flip-flopped again.