Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45610 ... LastLast
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: Trump Staff Picks

^Are we to believe that IBM is hiring, and training an additional 25,000 employees in the USA just because Donald Trump is anticipated to take delivery of the keys to The White House? Or, would IBM have made the same decision had HRC been poised to take delivery of the keys to The White House?

Business investment is a daily, and ongoing fact of life no matter who is POTUS.

I am sure that the business media will analyse IBMs decision and provide us with the facts, rather than present us with yet another Trump PR driven photo opportunity demonstrating Trump's imaginary skills as a job creator.

Banned

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by kallipolis View Post
    ^Are we to believe that IBM is hiring, and training an additional 25,000 employees in the USA just because Donald Trump is anticipated to take delivery of the keys to The White House? Or, would IBM have made the same decision had HRC been poised to take delivery of the keys to The White House?

Business investment is a daily, and ongoing fact of life no matter who is POTUS.

I am sure that the business media will analyse IBMs decision and provide us with the facts, rather than present us with yet another Trump PR driven photo opportunity demonstrating Trump's imaginary skills as a job creator.
    Your closed mind is showing when you announce before he has even taken office, that his skills are only "imaginary".

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Benvolio View Post
    Your closed mind is showing when you announce before he has even taken office, that his skills are only "imaginary".
    IBM does not work on a day, by day basis when investing hundreds of millions in its business model.

I have much more faith in IBM by believing that their investment program decisions are the result of months, if not years of planning.

To believe that after a solitary meeting with Trump, IBM should suddenly decide to hire, and train some 25,000 new employees over the next four years challenges my understanding of how high technology corporations plan ahead.

There may well be more to this news worthy story, to be revealed at a later date that relates to lower taxation.

Banned

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

IBMs announcement reflects the new spirit of economic freedom and optimism which Trump brings. The stock market has exploded following his win, and that spirit has invigorated stock markets around the world.

Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

New hires in 2017 to replace the highly-paid workers they laid off in 2016.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ibm-layo...nue-1463784692
    IBM Layoffs Continue
    Company has said it’s restructuring workforce to retool for cloud services and data analysis
    By Robert McMillan
    May 20, 2016 6:51 p.m. ET
    International Business Machines Corp. this week quietly laid off employees, continuing a wave of job cuts the company announced in April.

IBM declined to say how many jobs would be cut overall. The total layoffs could affect more than 14,000 jobs, according to an estimate by Sanford Bernstein analyst Toni Sacconaghi.

The job cuts come after four straight years of declining revenues as the rise of cloud computing threatens the company’s software and services business. IBM has said it would restructure its workforce to retool for cloud services and data analysis, and could hire an equal number of new employees by the end of the year.

The company said on Friday it had more than 20,000 open positions. Two employees reached Friday said that IBM’s internal job-search tool listed between 7,000 and 8,000 open positions.

IBM’s last round of layoffs, which affected less than 5,000 employees, came in March.
    JUB's full list of smilies can be found here. BBcodes are here.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^ Pretty typical of what corporations are doing.....cleaning out the older higher paid employees in order to get the new cheap hires.

I wonder how many of them will just be on contract instead of employees?

Banned

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by KaraBulut View Post
    New hires in 2017 to replace the highly-paid workers they laid off in 2016.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ibm-layo...nue-1463784692
    Fired under Obama, hired under Trump.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

IBMs announcement reflects the new spirit of economic freedom and optimism which Trump brings. The stock market has exploded following his win, and that spirit has invigorated stock markets around the world.
    Bubbles instigated by a false sense of euphoria also have a well established track record leading to bear markets.

We will wait and see how Trump has "bribed" IBM.

- - - Updated - - -

I am certain that President Obama did not make hiring, and firing decisions for the management of IBM.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Sometimes you write something so stupid...there is no way to respond to it. This is one of those times.

Banned

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Bubbles instigated by a false sense of euphoria also have a well established track record leading to bear markets.

We will wait and see how Trump has "bribed" IBM.

- - - Updated - - -

I am certain that President Obama did not make hiring, and firing decisions for the management of IBM.
    He and his marxist party are anti-employer. Your belief that Trump bribed IBM confirms that he gets the credit.

Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by rareboy View Post
    Sometimes you write something so stupid...there is no way to respond to it. This is one of those times.
    Next you'll say that Santa Claus is really his parents.

It's another example of disinformation and how people with a certain world-view handpick information to support that world-view.

A lot of these tech companies have been in the process of closing offices and RIFing highly paid senior employees to cut their US payroll (especially around the time that earnings reports are due). The more charitable companies offer "early retirement" but most just cut the positions.

The tactic allows them to post another "open position" and either offshore the work or hire a new grad for a fraction of the salary of the person who got laid off- they call it "skill rebalancing". The layoffs don't seem to get into the national media but their press officers love to announce that they're hiring. IBM is also notorious for buying new companies to gain marketshare and then RIFing the employees of those companies.

Ginni Rometty came from the marketing side of IBM. She knows how to manage press releases. In a speech in 2016, she bragged that IBM added 70,000 employees to their payroll in 2015. The SEC filing told a different story.
    All told, IBM added 70,000 IBMers to its payroll in 2015, she said, albeit many of them came in through acquisitions.

IBM has spent more on acquisitions in the last 12 months than it has at any other 12-month period in its history, she said. IBM bought 14 companies in 2015, and she's already bought three more in 2016.

Even with adding 70,000 people to IBM's payroll in 2015, IBM actually ended the year with slightly lower headcount than when it started, according to an SEC filing.
    Source

It's almost Orwellian- someone runs around holding rallies claiming that they're going to bring back jobs to the US and then they bring in advisors that work for the companies that are sending jobs overseas. Does anyone even notice?

Banned

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

It's another example of disinformation and how people with a certain world-view handpick information to support that world-view.

A lot of these tech companies have been in the process of closing offices and RIFing highly paid senior employees to cut their US payroll (especially around the time that earnings reports are due). The more charitable companies offer "early retirement" but most just cut the positions.

The tactic allows them to post another "open position" and either offshore the work or hire a new grad for a fraction of the salary of the person who got laid off- they call it "skill rebalancing". The layoffs don't seem to get into the national media but their press officers love to announce that they're hiring. IBM is also notorious for buying new companies to gain marketshare and then RIFing the employees of those companies.

Ginni Rometty came from the marketing side of IBM. She knows how to manage press releases. In a speech in 2016, she bragged that IBM added 70,000 employees to their payroll in 2015. The SEC filing told a different story.
    Source
    Derailing? I don't see how this relates to the 25,000 being added

Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Derailing? I don't see how this relates to the 25,000 being added
    I know, bless your heart.

Banned

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Source

It's almost Orwellian- someone runs around holding rallies claiming that they're going to bring back jobs to the US and then they bring in advisors that work for the companies that are sending jobs overseas. Does anyone even notice?
    If you want to stop companies sending jobs out of the country you should find out why they do it and what it will take to stop it. Duh. Did Obama ever ask?

Banned

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I know, bless your heart.
    The correct answer is that the past is not relevant to what they are planning for the future.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Stardreamer View Post
    So the news all this week is Trump's very public parade of candidates for his cabinet and staff to meet with Trump. I just did a spit take on hearing that Laura Ingram is being considered for Press Secretary. What do you think of the folks being considered so far and what this telling of about what Trump's White House will be like.
    I’m jealous.

The next Democratic Party president should have extreme left administration.

For any chance that the Democrats can get reempowered, I won’t be voting for anything I perceive to be less.

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

The correct answer is that the past is not relevant to what they are planning for the future.
    Translation: So what if they lied in the past. This time will be different.

So what if a multimillionaire government appointee who runs a company that's competing for billions in federal spending has proven themselves to be untrustworthy.
    So what if they might stand to gain personally from this oddly low paying government job...
    Blah blah blah, something enigmatic sounding...

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBlue71 View Post
    For any chance that the Democrats can get reempowered, I won’t be voting for anything I perceive to be less.
    A guarantee, rather than any chance, after six months living with the Trump White House.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

A guarantee, rather than any chance, after six months living with the Trump White House.
    I am not entirely certain what you wrote; but, if you’re thinking I would freak out from a President Donald Trump and be willing to come back to a still-influential neoliberal Democratic Party establishment—whose policies helped create such leadership in a President Trump—you can forget it.

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolBlue71 View Post

I am not entirely certain what you wrote; but, if you’re thinking I would freak out from a President Donald Trump and be willing to come back to a still-influential neoliberal Democratic Party establishment—whose policies helped create such leadership in a President Trump—you can forget it.
    So the Democrats are responsible for Trump? Fascinating.

Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
    So the Democrats are responsible for Trump? Fascinating.
    Actually they are but not in the way that was presented here.

Americans have become very knee-jerk in their response to politics. There's a lot of reasons for it but it's a factor of how polarized politics has become since the 1990s.

Every 2 years, the public reacts to whatever happened in the previous election. Presidential politics seems to work on an 8 year cycle and everything else seems to be on a 2 year cycle.

The Jan 2017 issue of Atlantic will have an article by Ta-Nehisi Coates that pretty much lays out the case that Trump is the knee-jerk response to Obama.

IBM does not work on a day, by day basis when investing hundreds of millions in its business model.

I have much more faith in IBM by believing that their investment program decisions are the result of months, if not years of planning.
    I don't know that employment has a strong connection to long-term corporate planning anymore. It seems a reaction to short-term demand, shareholder activism and general economic conditions. The planning part has more to do with HOW they hire/fire and less to do with the actual hiring or firing itself.

Presidents always love to claim credit for great economies but they find excuses when the economy isn't so great. It's largely fiction that Presidents have much to do with short-term employment numbers. The problem with economic policy is that it takes months or even years for economic policy to ripple through the actual economy. What happens more often is that Presidents inherit the effects of their predecessor and it takes years to improve or damage that legacy. Clinton benefited from Bush 41's painful choices (choice that probably cost Bush the presidency) and Obama spent a lot of his first term trying to recover from the economic disasters of the 2006-2009 from Bush 43's policies.

Americans (like many of the counterparts in other countries) are really good at complaining about their elected officials, completely ignoring the fact that in a democracy, the public is ultimately responsible for electing those same officials.

Banned

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

If you watch the business news--CNBC for instance-- you will see business people expressing great optimism, inspired by Trumps promises. While the changes have not been adopted and it would take awhile for the to have an effect, the expectation and resulting optimization may inspire the confidence to make employment and expansion decisions now.
    Footnote; the disaster in 2007 and 2008 did not result from policies of Bush.

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct
    If you watch the business news--CNBC for instance-- you will see business people expressing great optimism, inspired by Trumps promises. While the changes have not been adopted and it would take awhile for the to have an effect, the expectation and resulting optimization may inspire the confidence to make employment and expansion decisions now.
    Footnote; the disaster in 2007 and 2008 did not result from policies of Bush.
    Nice disclaimer there at the end. Meaningless though.

Companies can be optimistic about their own fortunes, but they'll be speaking about their profit and ability to exploit their position in the market for their shareholders.
    Not their employees.

eastofeden

Actually they are but not in the way that was presented here.

Americans have become very knee-jerk in their response to politics. There's a lot of reasons for it but it's a factor of how polarized politics has become since the 1990s.

Every 2 years, the public reacts to whatever happened in the previous election. Presidential politics seems to work on an 8 year cycle and everything else seems to be on a 2 year cycle.

The Jan 2017 issue of Atlantic will have an article by Ta-Nehisi Coates that pretty much lays out the case that Trump is the knee-jerk response to Obama.

I don't know that employment has a strong connection to long-term corporate planning anymore. It seems a reaction to short-term demand, shareholder activism and general economic conditions. The planning part has more to do with HOW they hire/fire and less to do with the actual hiring or firing itself.

Presidents always love to claim credit for great economies but they find excuses when the economy isn't so great. It's largely fiction that Presidents have much to do with short-term employment numbers. The problem with economic policy is that it takes months or even years for economic policy to ripple through the actual economy. What happens more often is that Presidents inherit the effects of their predecessor and it takes years to improve or damage that legacy. Clinton benefited from Bush 41's painful choices (choice that probably cost Bush the presidency) and Obama spent a lot of his first term trying to recover from the economic disasters of the 2006-2009.

Americans (like many of the counterparts in other countries) are really good at complaining about their elected officials, completely ignoring the fact that in a democracy, the public is ultimately responsible for electing those same officials .
    I would have to add how excruciating it is for me to hear people who never voted complain about ANYTHING...or who didn't vote "because blah blah blah...whatever whatever..."

I think apathy will be THE THING that brings us down in the end...

I also think the vote was a knee jerk reaction to Obama. A lot of it is because he was black...let's get that on the table right away because it was an issue for the racists who are now feeling empowered and becoming vocal about something anyone with a clue knew all along.....

Then you have the people for whom the pendulum swung too far. Sometimes it swings too far for me when all you have is the extremist POV on the table and they shut down anyone who doesn't agree 110%. EXTREMISTS DO ALOT OF DAMAGE....

On another gay board....I watched this group of pretty hard core people shut down anyone who didn't completely understand all the letters after LGBT.....and after listening to them...I have no desire to understand because they ask for things they aren't willing to give anyone else.

They are doing that damage right now on the right side of the aisle....watch it unfold. Trying to explain white supremecy....after the hard core audience in support of racism and the fringe around them take notes....there is a steep drop off in people who want to learn about white supremecy. Same with LBGFTRESGOLOIUYTFGHKKI...it is just the way it is...like it or not....

The jobs leaving America..they voted for the guy who participates in that himself...manufacturing his products overseas. The "change" they want..starts on a local level....and apathy about local politics is insane...so again...the complainers are often the ACTUAL target of their own complaints....

Does anyone else find it annoying that someone can name all the Kardashians but not the Vice President? I know it is supposed to be "funny and cute" but I want to throw up when I watch them....

The polarizing thing...the people who had limited access to potential voters now have an unprecedented amount of access to polarize and characterize the other side with disinformation and misinformation and lies. The rise of fake news is a serious new threat. It is true that the public now needs to take the time to seek out information and wade through an actual swamp comprised of the people who pretend they are draining it....but they always should have been doing that. I think all of these factors definitely played a bigger role than ever this year in politics....

The scariest thing IMO....when the facts don't agree with your narrative....and you insist the ACTUAL non partisan or award winning journalistic sites are working for whoever Alex Jones told you they were working for....probably no cure for that....and they vote too. I always hope they are as small a margin as I believe they are but they do seem to be growing.....

Banned

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by eastofeden View Post
    I would have to add how excruciating it is for me to hear people who never voted complain about ANYTHING...or who didn't vote "because blah blah blah...whatever whatever..."

I think apathy will be THE THING that brings us down in the end...

I also think the vote was a knee jerk reaction to Obama. A lot of it is because he was black...let's get that on the table right away because it was an issue for the racists who are now feeling empowered and becoming vocal about something anyone with a clue knew all along.....

Then you have the people for whom the pendulum swung too far. Sometimes it swings too far for me when all you have is the extremist POV on the table and they shut down anyone who doesn't agree 110%. EXTREMISTS DO ALOT OF DAMAGE....

On another gay board....I watched this group of pretty hard core people shut down anyone who didn't completely understand all the letters after LGBT.....and after listening to them...I have no desire to understand because they ask for things they aren't willing to give anyone else.

They are doing that damage right now on the right side of the aisle....watch it unfold. Trying to explain white supremecy....after the hard core audience in support of racism and the fringe around them take notes....there is a steep drop off in people who want to learn about white supremecy. Same with LBGFTRESGOLOIUYTFGHKKI...it is just the way it is...like it or not....

The jobs leaving America..they voted for the guy who participates in that himself...manufacturing his products overseas. The "change" they want..starts on a local level....and apathy about local politics is insane...so again...the complainers are often the ACTUAL target of their own complaints....

Does anyone else find it annoying that someone can name all the Kardashians but not the Vice President? I know it is supposed to be "funny and cute" but I want to throw up when I watch them....

The polarizing thing...the people who had limited access to potential voters now have an unprecedented amount of access to polarize and characterize the other side with disinformation and misinformation and lies. The rise of fake news is a serious new threat. It is true that the public now needs to take the time to seek out information and wade through an actual swamp comprised of the people who pretend they are draining it....but they always should have been doing that. I think all of these factors definitely played a bigger role than ever this year in politics....

The scariest thing IMO....when the facts don't agree with your narrative....and you insist the ACTUAL non partisan or award winning journalistic sites are working for whoever Alex Jones told you they were working for....probably no cure for that....and they vote too. I always hope they are as small a margin as I believe they are but they do seem to be growing.....
    It is too early to claim that they are "pretending" to drain the swamp since they have not taken office yet. Nor can you validly claim they should have been doing it before. Trump has never held office before and many of his appointees are similarly untainted.
    "White Supremacy" is and epithet used by anti white racists and which does not accurately describe the position of the vast majority of the people who voted for Trump.

eastofeden

It is too early to claim that they are "pretending" to drain the swamp since they have not taken office yet. Nor can you validly claim they should have been doing it before. Trump has never held office before and many of his appointees are similarly untainted.
    It isn't too early because from where I sit..he invited the swamp to fill his cabinet positions....maybe even worse than the swamp...a new and different kind of dangerous swamp.

I am sure our definitions of swamp are very different as well.

For instance...I think Banana Republics are swamps.....

eastofeden

"White Supremacy" is and epithet used by anti white racists and which does not accurately describe the position of the vast majority of the people who voted for Trump.

Bullshit.

White Supremecy is now celebrated by a select group of Americans who were pissed off about losing any of the white privilege they enjoyed...like having all white male presidents with one exception.

I don't need to guess or even accurately describe anything. They are doing it themselves....

I try to help them along when I can.....

Did you see my song dedication to you BTW? I was thinking of you The holidays get me all choked up

...and I would hardly call fair play on to the stage at this point..after all the characterizations you have made yourself...eh?

Banned

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Bullshit.

White Supremecy is now celebrated by a select group of Americans who were pissed off about losing any of the white privilege they enjoyed...like having all white male presidents with one exception.

I don't need to guess or even accurately describe anything. They are doing it themselves....

I try to help them along when I can.....

Did you see my song dedication to you BTW? I was thinking of you The holidays get me all choked up

...and I would hardly call fair play on to the stage at this point..after all the characterizations you have made yourself...eh?
    You are simply INVENTING what you claim they are pissed off about just as you have INVENTED that their objection to Obama is as to his race not his socialist, anti-American policies.

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

You are simply INVENTING what you claim they are pissed off about just as you have INVENTED that their objection to Obama is as to his race not his socialist, anti-American policies.
    And Ben repeats his own invented story.

eastofeden

No...wrong..not inventing anything....

I never said "all" ....I said a "select group" which is millions of people BTW....cheering him on with the Birth Certificate was the OBVIOUS indicator....same people now proudly and openly claiming tons of racist ideals. I encourage them to do so.....

They are all over facebook. Whenever I read some remarks...openly racist nasty remarks...I follow the trail back to their page for a quick look and a quick profile analysis...and it is ALWAYS there.. a pattern and a history of racist bullshit.....

In their words....

I don't need to do a thing except bring attention to it. People can make up their own minds....

Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Add to your list of grievances the fact that 1.7 million voted but either by accident or by choice, made no selection for President.

The breakdown by state:

In a year that has been rich with irony....

And in the theme of "What comes around goes around", the Washington Post has a story today entitled "Trump’s national security adviser shared secrets without permission, files show".

A secret U.S. military investigation in 2010 determined that Michael T. Flynn, the retired Army general tapped to serve as national security adviser in the Trump White House, “inappropriately shared” classified information with foreign military officers in Afghanistan, newly released documents show...

The Army files call into question Flynn’s prior assertion that he had permission to share the sensitive information.

During the presidential race, Flynn campaigned vigorously for Republican nominee Donald Trump and drew attention for his scalding attacks against Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton for mishandling classified material.

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

The professional educators have created the deficiency and aren't likely to solve it. Like all bureaucrats they will focus on their yearning for larger budgets and bigger salaries; plus their foolish focus on PC. It is easier to teach things the kids can get emotional about; racism, white privilege , global warming etc.
    Of course the 'evangelical' school boards in a number of states trampling on the teaching of science have nothing to do with it.

"Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

--Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

*the number is now forty

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Is it really good to devote so much of our educational resourses to foreign students? Are they given slots and scholarships while American students are turned away? Educational professionals in the US tend to subscribe to the anti-American ideology that diversity and multiculturalism are more important than educating Americans. Foreign students are likely to be liberal, giving schools the opportunity to exclude US students likey to be conservative, just as they exclude conservatives from faculty.
    I hope the Trump administration and his nominee donot buy into the diversity-over-American ideology.
    Until the GOP got racist about it, many if not most of those foreign students getting advanced degrees here stayed here, becamse citizens, and overall provided substantial numbers of jobs for Americans.

"Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

*the number is now forty

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

You guys just voted for a woman who with her husband accumulated 150 million or so IN POLITICS but now you are worried that extremely wealthy businessmen are being appointed and they might make money from cabinet positions. What we know for certain is that Bill and Hillary would have looked for and found ways to profit from her position. These businessmen are used to workinging the full glare of disclosure to boards of directors, shareholders, SEC, DOJ, and dozens of other regulatory agencies. They are necessarily honest men.
    No, they're thoroughly manipulative men. Like Trump, they'll push the edge of what's legal in order to make a buck.

*the number is now forty

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Americans (like many of the counterparts in other countries) are really good at complaining about their elected officials, completely ignoring the fact that in a democracy, the public is ultimately responsible for electing those same officials.
    In America there's good reason for that, since there hasn't been a candidate elected on the national scene in years with an actual majority of the voters. We settle for pluralities of the people who actually decide to go vote, which means that for the most part no public official has more than two-fifth of the public behind him. That's what we're looking at with Trump, who got about a third of American voters to support him.

*the number is now forty

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Given the choices for his cabinet, Trump is definitely not draining the swamp -- he's actively aiming to pump in toxic waste.

*the number is now forty

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Obama didn't have any "socialist, anti-American policies". He was too much of a wimp to really have any policies, an in what he did accomplish it tended to be total corporate sellouts.

*the number is now forty

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Not a staff pick...but a bizarre pick for Ambassador to Israel.

But I guess Trump owes him big.

Donald Trump has named as his ambassador to Israel a pro-settler lawyer who has described some US Jews as worse than concentration camp prisoner-guards.

David Friedman, a bankruptcy lawyer who represented the president-elect over his failing hotels in Atlantic City, served Trump’s advisory team on the Middle East. He has set out a number of hardline positions on Israeli-Palestinian relations, including fervent opposition to the two-state solution and strong support for an undivided Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.
    Well this should help bring on Armageddon.

Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    In America there's good reason for that, since there hasn't been a candidate elected on the national scene in years with an actual majority of the voters. We settle for pluralities of the people who actually decide to go vote, which means that for the most part no public official has more than two-fifth of the public behind him. That's what we're looking at with Trump, who got about a third of American voters to support him.
    But is the problem the candidates or is it the way that Americans regard politicians?

There's some good research coming out about how Americans pick which candidate they ultimately vote for. It confirms what many people suspect- that Americans ignore hard information and in the end vote for the candidate they "like"- with "like" defined more as a "gut" feeling.

There was also a lot of research saying that negative campaigning heavily influenced the election results, which is why 1.9 million people who voted didn't select a candidate for President. Of note is that one of the states with the highest vote was Arizona where there was a great deal of antipathy toward Donald Trump in the Mormon electorate and a lot of hesitation to vote for Hillary because of some of her liberal stances on issues like gun laws and abortion.

...But I guess Trump owes him big.
    He's a bankruptcy attorney who works for Trump. So, given that specialty, you can assume that Trump owes him.

These ambassadorships are largely ceremonial positions since Foggy Bottom really controls the policy. Israel doesn't have oil reserves, so the Secretary of State designate is unlikely to pay them much attention.
    ...Well this should help bring on Armageddon.
    He also wants to move the US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. I hope he has a lot of money in the budget for security. Notice who is in the right of the picture.

Banned

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I disagree that the people suporting a candidate are only thse who voted for him. Many people have a preference but just don't get around to voting; too busy, didn't feel well, forgot. A lot of people care but don't bother because one vote does not make a difference. Many feel that their oen lives are not affected.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    Obama won a majority of the voters in both of his elections, George W. Bush won a majority of voters in his re-election, George H.W. Bush won a majority when he was elected, Reagon won the second largest majority his second term. Reagan in his first term and Carter won a very bare majority, but it was a majority. LBJ won the biggest majority in history, at over 61%.

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

A few people here must be pissing themselves with joy over this:

Trump’s Cabinet is shaping up to be one of the whitest in recent history

The population of the United States is more diverse than ever, yet with each new Cabinet appointment announced by President-elect Donald Trump, his proposed administration looks poised to become one of the whitest White Houses in recent history.

With his core team in place — Vice President Mike Pence, chief of staff Reince Priebus, national security adviser Mike Flynn and chief strategist Steve Bannon — Trump is already guaranteed to enter the Oval Office surrounded by white men.

The rest of Trump’s Cabinet appointments must first be confirmed by the Senate. But of the 18 people he’s already picked for the top roles requiring Senate approval, 14 are white and of those, 12 are also male.
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/news/trump...212344891.html
    Everything I Ever Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

It is too true.

Except for Ben Carson..................It was like looking at a catalogue of hairstyles for old white guys as Stephen Colbert put it.

In mourning for America.
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Chicago!! (A big city, but my country is DYING!)
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I heard some talk, somewhere, that Trump is offering an ambassadorship to whomever successfully finds somebody who will perform at his inauguration.

That sounds entirely like fake Onion news, but who the fuck can tell anymore?
    "Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." -The Scarecrow, WIZARD OF OZ, 1939
    If you think that fertilized eggs are PEOPLE, and refugees AREN'T, *YOU* are the problem.
    Make, for a man, a fire - and he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man afire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Satire is meant to ridicule power. If you are laughing at people who are hurting, it's not satire, it's bullying. - Terry Pratchett

Shy, but Mischievious
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Yet Another Donald Trump Pick Has A Habit Of Spreading Dangerous Conspiracy Theories.

"A history of peddling debunked theories won’t guarantee you a spot in Trumpland — but it apparently doesn’t hurt."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b08debb788afc4

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

...and TrumpCo. doubles down on putting unqualified men in charge of complex issues...

Donald Trump will appoint a real estate lawyer with minimal experience of foreign relations as his special representative for international negotiations, a role that involves overseeing negotiations between Israelis and the Palestinians.

Jason Greenblatt, who served as Trump’s top adviser on Israel policy during the campaign along with fellow lawyer David Friedman, will take on the role in the president-elect’s administration. Friedman has already been announced as Trump’s controversial pick for ambassador to Israel.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...administration

I wonder what they all do when they find out that Israel and Palestine isn't just some real estate deal?

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

...and TrumpCo. doubles down on putting unqualified men in charge of complex issues...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...administration

I wonder what they all do when they find out that Israel and Palestine isn't just some real estate deal?
    We hope that Madison's and Jefferson's (I hope I got the right Founding Fathers) concept of ordinary men rising to extraordinary circumstances works.

*the number is now forty

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Now the conservatives are trying to get around a complete ethics vetting of the Donald's cabinet picks

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement...hrough_process

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^ Just The Donald being unpresidential again. His list is getting longer by the day. I suspect that, by the end of January, the American government will be completely unrecognisable.
    Everything I Ever Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

hahahahahaha

So Trump's pick for Communications Director, Monica Crowley, has been accused of plagiarism in her book.

Washington (AFP) - A conservative media personality tapped by the incoming Donald Trump administration for a top communications role was accused Saturday of plagiarizing sections of her 2012 book, CNN reported.

The president-elect has nominated Monica Crowley, a talk-radio host and Fox News commentator, to a senior communications job with the National Security Council.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-com...192149125.html

So fitting. 3 out of 5 rofl's.