Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

What's with Windows Defender?

Ever since I let my Trend Micro security software lapse because it cost too bloody much, Windows Defender keeps getting turned off and then insisting it needs updating. This is the fourth or fifth time I've tried but here I am with over an hour gone by since clicking on "Update now", and the thing is still sitting there saying "Searching" -- and I expect it will end the same as before, telling me it failed to obtain or install the updates.

Does anyone know anything about this issue? I'm beginning to wonder if it's some ploy by Microsoft to get me to move to the evil Windows 10!

"Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

--Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

*the number is now forty

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: What's with Windows Defender?

Is the Trend Micro still installed & running? If so, it may be blocking/disabling Windows Defender. You may have to disable or un-install it..

You may want to try something like the free version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (well known as a good malware cleaner)
    And the free version of AVG Antivirus (there is probably better ones out there now, This just happens to be the one I'm currently using...til I find something better)

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by 72-Jay View Post
    Is the Trend Micro still installed & running? If so, it may be blocking/disabling Windows Defender. You may have to disable or un-install it..

You may want to try something like the free version of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (well known as a good malware cleaner)
    And the free version of AVG Antivirus (there is probably better ones out there now, This just happens to be the one I'm currently using...til I find something better)
    No, when I ditch software I totally uninstall -- in this case with a vengeance, because it kept telling me twice a day it had expired.....

And I did get the same old message, after almost two hours:

Virus and spyware definitions couldn't be updated
    This app couldn't check for virus and spyware definition updates.
    Check your internet or network connection and try again.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my connection, given that I can stream a movie and play an online game at the same time!

My buddy just recommended Avira Antivirus -- know anything about it? I went to download the free version, but even though the link says it's free I can only find it listed with a price!

"Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

*the number is now forty

Moderator JUB Moderator star-warrior's Avatar
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Are you still using Windowa Vista? The boat crashed and burned early last year on that one. No more updates, and my how I tried, but to no avail. So I have consigned my vista laptop to be a storage device now.

On the Prowl

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Did you try resetting Windows Firewall?

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by star-warrior View Post
    Are you still using Windowa Vista? The boat crashed and burned early last year on that one. No more updates, and my how I tried, but to no avail. So I have consigned my vista laptop to be a storage device now.
    Nope -- 8.1.

I don't think I ever had a Vista machine -- skipped right by it.

*the number is now forty

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Sebazz View Post
    Did you try resetting Windows Firewall?
    As in click on "Restore Defaults"?

*the number is now forty

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I don't think Windows supports anything lower than 10
    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic216959_1.gif

Forever horny!
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

7 and 8.1 are both still supported. 7 is in Extended Support until January 2020, and 8.1 is still in Full Support. I wonder if Defender would be better left to try and update itself without trying to manually update it? I have Malwarebytes Anti-malware, and it is remarkably good.
    Hull FC.

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrich View Post
    7 and 8.1 are both still supported. 7 is in Extended Support until January 2020, and 8.1 is still in Full Support. I wonder if Defender would be better left to try and update itself without trying to manually update it? I have Malwarebytes Anti-malware, and it is remarkably good.
    I only tried to update manually because I kept getting notifications that it hadn't updated.

Is that Malwarebytes free? The best I can find is $39.99 for it.

*the number is now forty

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

BTW, I found the free Avira Antiviral, but when I tried installing I got a message saying it's incompatible.

Yay.

Oh -- I still don't know what Sebazz meant by "resetting Windows Firewall".

*the number is now forty

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr
    Is that Malwarebytes free? The best I can find is $39.99 for it.
    Yep, there is a free version, but if I remember right, the link for it isn't real visible on their website.

BTW, I found the free Avira Antiviral, but when I tried installing I got a message saying it's incompatible.
    There is also Avast (free version) which may be worth checking out.

Oh -- I still don't know what Sebazz meant by "resetting Windows Firewall".
    I'm not sure either, I have a Win 8 laptop, and have been meaning to go look in the Windows Firewall settings (there should be a list of apps, and an option for allowing/blocking each individually)

On the Prowl

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    As in click on "Restore Defaults"?
    Yes, I thought maybe Trend Micro had blocked internet access for everything but commonly used apps like web browsers, Skype, Windows Updates...

Did you try this? https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-u...t/1037161.aspx

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Sebazz View Post
    Yes, I thought maybe Trend Micro had blocked internet access for everything but commonly used apps like web browsers, Skype, Windows Updates...

Did you try this? https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-u...t/1037161.aspx
    Had to try it twice. First time, it didn't work, so I rebooted and tried again and it ran. Restarted, went to Windows Defender, clicked to update -- it worked!

Awesome, guys -- thanks!

*the number is now forty

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I use AVAST, it's an alright program. But I kept hearing from professionals to NEVER use free software to protect you from viruses, I use Malwarebytes.