Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Why all the drama?

I don't understand why so many American programmes rely so much on 'fake' drama and confrontation, and I'm not even talking about programmes like Maury or Springer. Mike Holmes has been a staple of Canadian television for well-over a decade, and he recently made his foray into American television when HGTV USA began broadcasting his programmes. He's even appeared on Ellen.

Last year, he appeared on an American programme 'Home Free'. I watched it and I was amazed that Mike's entire personality had been changed. He was, in fact, something of an asshole on it. He even had a confrontation with his son, Mike Jr., over a simple and stupid disagreement. I've been watching Mike since 2001 through all his programmes, but I've never seen him 'act' like that, and it was acting as far as I'm concerned.

That was bad enough, but the programme was about a group of people competing to win a free home, but the drama was incredible. Contestants were constantly breaking down and crying, and the sob stories became ridiculous. Nobody could talk without turning on the tears.

The new season currently being broadcast features Tim Tebow as Mike's co-host, but it's the competitors who really caught my attention. They are constantly backstabbing their teammates and causing as much confrontation and drama as possible. I've never watched Big Brother, but I've seen the promos for it and watching Home Free is the same.

Seriously, I don't understand this fake drama. Would the programmes not even make it to the airwaves if the drama didn't exist?
    Quando omni flunkus, moritati.

JUB Addict
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: Why all the drama?

I think everyone likes drama! It makes for good TV! Why do you think the real housewives franchise is so popular? Most reality shows would be dull if there was not some type of drama going on.

I guess you could say American "reality" TV is drama based. I put reality in quotes because everyone knows it is not really reality. Everything is staged or edited to make it more interesting.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Because white trash and ghetto eat this shit up.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Rat View Post
    Because white trash and ghetto eat this shit up.
    Word to your mother

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I understand the 'reality tv' mindset. The viewers thrive on the drama and over-the-top antics. They thrive on the confrontations. That's what has been keeping shows like Maury and Springer on the air for so many decades. (However, I don't understand how the guests get away with doing things on television that they would get arrested for doing on a public street or in their own homes.)

Still, I understand the drama, no matter how fake or staged or scripted it is. I just don't understand the need for it on an HGTV programme like 'Home Free'. Not only is it like 'Big Brother' on a construction site, they actually have a co-host (Mike Holmes) being someone he simply is not. It is not his character.

The show is about winning a house, but the producers have made it into such a confrontational drama with all the backstabbing, crying, yelling, screaming, and tantrums that one would expect to see in most reality programmes.

Is the American mindset such that they wouldn't watch 'Home Free' without it?

Can you hear me yet?
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I am in error and I offer my apologies.

I'm watching People's Court on Fox29 and I just watched a promo for 'Home Free'. It's Fox which produced the competition and not HGTV. It's only HGTV Canada which is broadcasting it here.

That explains all the drama. It's Fox.