JustUsBoys.com gay porn forum

logo

remove these banner ads by becoming a JUB Supporter.

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Civis Americanus Sum Alnitak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    4,892
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Infectious diseases such as kill millions every year in third world countries. In the absence of antigen/antibody tests, a microscope is sometimes the only way to confirm diagnoses of bacterial, protozoan, and other microparasitic infections. Heavy expensive microscopes make this impossible for sick people in the poorest places in the world.

    Manu Prakash, a professor at Stanford University and his students have developed a microscope out of a flat sheet of paper, a watch battery, LED, and optical units that when folded together, much like origami, creates a functional instrument with the resolution of 800 nanometers basically magnifying an object up to 2,000 times.

    Super-Cheap Paper Microscope Could Save Millions of Lives
    While 800 nm is not good enough to see viruses, it can still see many dreaded diseases caused by bacteria such as tuberculosis and protozoans such as malaria.




  2. #2
    PerScientiam AdJustitiam bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Middle of Snowwhere.
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    15,944
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    That's incredibly good news.

    I would like to see the cost of equipment brought down in the richest places in the world too. Moore's Law should apply to the equipment in my hospital too.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte. And Joseph Wilcox.

  3. #3
    Here's looking at you kid
    cityboy-stl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    7,358

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    I think is wonderful news and I hope it is a great advance in getting medical care to people. However, I guess I am getting too cynical in my old my old age. My first thought was this will get suppressed and become unavailable because it would take mega profits away from giant corporations.



  4. #4
    Civis Americanus Sum Alnitak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    4,892
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    That's incredibly good news.

    I would like to see the cost of equipment brought down in the richest places in the world too. Moore's Law should apply to the equipment in my hospital too.
    Health care costs are going to continue to climb and become a greater portion of our economy. In the US it accounts for just under a fifth of our GDP. The reasons aren't difficult to pin down. Life expectancy is advancing, so cancer rates are through the roof. Diagnostic tools and treatments for all kinds of diseases and disorders are proliferating as well, so quantitatively more medicine is being used. The tools are getting more precise and more advanced. Their costs aren't going down, they are going up because quality is improving. In the old days for cancer you were sent home with pain meds to die. Now there is histology, imaging, radiation, and uber expensive drugs.

  5. #5
    Civis Americanus Sum Alnitak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    4,892
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by cityboy-stl View Post
    I think is wonderful news and I hope it is a great advance in getting medical care to people. However, I guess I am getting too cynical in my old my old age. My first thought was this will get suppressed and become unavailable because it would take mega profits away from giant corporations.
    It won't be used in developed countries because good microscopes are not difficult to get. In practice this instrument is probably imprecise and difficult to use, but it is better than nothing. Health corporations have no access to poor parts of Africa, but non-profits such as the Carter Center and Medecins sans Frontieres do. I think this 50 cent scope will be quite useful.
    Last edited by Alnitak; March 30th, 2014 at 08:47 AM.

  6. #6
    PerScientiam AdJustitiam bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Middle of Snowwhere.
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    15,944
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by Alnitak View Post
    Health care costs are going to continue to climb and become a greater portion of our economy. In the US it accounts for just under a fifth of our GDP. The reasons aren't difficult to pin down. Life expectancy is advancing, so cancer rates are through the roof. Diagnostic tools and treatments for all kinds of diseases and disorders are proliferating as well, so quantitatively more medicine is being used. In the old days for cancer you were sent home with pain meds to die. Now there is histology, imaging, radiation, and uber expensive drugs.
    Yeah but those things should be halving in cost every year. In the old days you needed a thousand engineers with slide rules to figure out the trajectory of a rocket launch. Now my iPhone could do it. Why shouldn't that apply to medicine too?

    You've found a great example of cost cutting for the third world but those principles should apply here too.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte. And Joseph Wilcox.

  7. #7
    Civis Americanus Sum Alnitak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    4,892
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    Yeah but those things should be halving in cost every year. In the old days you needed a thousand engineers with slide rules to figure out the trajectory of a rocket launch. Now my iPhone could do it. Why shouldn't that apply to medicine too?
    Well like I said. The drugs and instruments are improving, so the cost of treatment isn't going to go down because of patent expiration or the economy of scale.

    You've found a great example of cost cutting for the third world but those principles should apply here too.
    This isn't cost cutting. It is introducing a device that they did not have access to before.

  8. #8

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    I don't understand how that thing can focus. It's nearly flat as a pancake, so how does whatever it uses for a lens resolve anything by putting it directly to your eye?

    Even a magnifying glass has to be adjusted.

  9. #9
    Civis Americanus Sum Alnitak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    4,892
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeland View Post
    I don't understand how that thing can focus. It's nearly flat as a pancake, so how does whatever it uses for a lens resolve anything by putting it directly to your eye?

    Even a magnifying glass has to be adjusted.
    The strips can be manipulated to translate an up and down motion. The video demonstrates reasonable optical quality, but obviously it will never match the quality of a precision instrument.
    Last edited by Alnitak; March 30th, 2014 at 11:17 AM.

  10. #10

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Thanks. Now I see how it works. (Duh) Sliding each end of the paper slip toward the middle lifts the lens.

  11. #11
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    10,097

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    One of those "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" things. Well done.

  12. #12
    Civis Americanus Sum Alnitak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    4,892
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeland View Post
    Thanks. Now I see how it works. (Duh) Sliding each end of the paper slip toward the middle lifts the lens.
    The optical elements are also spaced very close together, i.e. tiny f-ratio which results in severe aberrations around the edges of the image.

  13. #13

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by Alnitak View Post
    The optical elements are also spaced very close together, i.e. tiny f-ratio which results in severe aberrations around the edges of the image.
    Seeing the projected image from the Foldscope brought to mind a scene in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, of a view through a telescope. Dirt and colour aberration around the edge. A nice touch.

  14. #14
    Civis Americanus Sum Alnitak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    4,892
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeland View Post
    Seeing the projected image from the Foldscope brought to mind a scene in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, of a view through a telescope. Dirt and colour aberration around the edge. A nice touch.
    Telescopes at that time didn't have field correction elements.

  15. #15
    Oranje rareboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    32,448

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Brilliant.

  16. #16
    Virtus in medio stat JUB Admin opinterph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jawja
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    21,046
    Blog Entries
    14

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by Alnitak View Post
    800 nm is not good enough to see viruses
    Optical microscope technology has only recently ventured into the realm of virus-sized observation.


  17. #17
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    101,262
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    Yeah but those things should be halving in cost every year. In the old days you needed a thousand engineers with slide rules to figure out the trajectory of a rocket launch. Now my iPhone could do it. Why shouldn't that apply to medicine too?

    You've found a great example of cost cutting for the third world but those principles should apply here too.
    It doesn't apply to medical equipment because there's not that much turnover. If hospitals were buying an entire new suite of microscopes every two years, then yes, the cost would keep dropping, but they're not.

    Although you indirectly raise an interesting possibility: how long will it be until there are tablets that can serve as microscope, thermometer, etc. -- basically a first-generation tricorder? (Today I got my temperature and pulse taken by a device being rolled over my forehead . . . . . )

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  18. #18
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    101,262
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by Alnitak View Post
    The optical elements are also spaced very close together, i.e. tiny f-ratio which results in severe aberrations around the edges of the image.
    I read where someone stumbled across a lens in nature which has no aberration. How fast can we duplicate it?

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  19. #19
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    101,262
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by opinterph View Post
    Optical microscope technology has only recently ventured into the realm of virus-sized observation.

    Odd -- that just takes me to an image of a microscope. Let's see if this does it:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/sc...cope.html?_r=0

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  20. #20
    PerScientiam AdJustitiam bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Middle of Snowwhere.
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    15,944
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    It doesn't apply to medical equipment because there's not that much turnover. If hospitals were buying an entire new suite of microscopes every two years, then yes, the cost would keep dropping, but they're not.

    Although you indirectly raise an interesting possibility: how long will it be until there are tablets that can serve as microscope, thermometer, etc. -- basically a first-generation tricorder? (Today I got my temperature and pulse taken by a device being rolled over my forehead . . . . . )
    Well, let's say a billion people have doctors equipped with modern medical equipment. That leaves, what, six billion people to go shopping for? There is room in that market for innovation and cost-cutting and scale.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte. And Joseph Wilcox.

  21. #21
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    101,262
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Paper Microscope Magnifies Field Diagnostics

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    Well, let's say a billion people have doctors equipped with modern medical equipment. That leaves, what, six billion people to go shopping for? There is room in that market for innovation and cost-cutting and scale.
    But cost-cutting and scale have very little to do with the efficiency doubling in Moore's Law.

    Besides that, it's more like two billion and five -- and the five aren't exactly customers with money to spend.

    Further, the system is stacked against cost-cutting: neither medical manufacturers nor insurance companies nor even pharmaceuticals have any interest whatsoever in finding things that will cut our costs. That's the inherent problem with a profit-driven medical system.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About JustUsBoys.com | Site Map | RSS | Webmasters | Advertise | Link to JUB | Report A Bug on this Page

Visit our sister sites: Broke Straight Boys | CollegeDudes.com | CollegeBoyPhysicals.com | RocketTube
All models appearing on JustUsBoys.com were over 18 at the time of photography. The records for sexually explicit images required by U.S. 2257 are kept by the
individual producers of the images. The location of the records is available by clicking the Custodian of Records link at the bottom of each gallery page.
© 2012 JustUsBoys.com. The JustUsBoys.com name and logo are registered trademarks. Labeled with ICRA and RTA. Member of ASACP and The Free Speech Coalition.