Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

2013 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Well the Winter Meetings aren't even here yet and we apparently have two big free agent signings already, plus of course that huge trade between the Texas Rangers and Detroit Tigers involving Prince Fielder going to Texas and second baseman Ian Kinsler coming to Detroit. This thread is for ALL the winter doings, as we have one of course dealing with the Mets 2014 already set up by sonny and we want to have a place for all the big baseball news before the doldrums of winter sets in and we anxiously await spring training. Next post will deal with the free agent news.
    unofficial official mini meet Friday- Saturday April 11-12, 2014

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: 2013 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Yankees look like they've signed Brian McCann, the Atlanta Braves catcher to a five year deal worth 85 mil. He may towards the later part of his contract be phased over to DH or to replace Mark Teixeira when his contract ends after 2016. After years of solid offensive production from Jorge Posada Yanks got very little from Chris Stewart, Austin Romine and Francisco Cervelli in 2013, and suffered from a huge power shortage that is usually not associated with the Yankees. McCann is a left handed bat who has hit 20 home runs each of the past six seasons, has had over ninety RBI in three seasons and twice more at least 80. He really does channel Posada as a player, adequate defensively but not great, yet a solid contributor with the bat. His left handed power really is made for the new Yankee Stadium and he should hit in the .270-.280 range at least as Posada did. He definitely seems overpaid but catchers who can hit like he does at a premium if the Yankees didn't strike now they may well have seen themselves outbid.... crazy money in baseball these days but with the lack of a strong farm system for player development he chips aren't there to fill from inside the system or to use them in a trade, so flashing the money is the only recourse they have. Missing the playoffs last year definitely put pressure on the Yankee organization to be bolder and it's expected the Yanks will be active further and not wait on their own free agent Robinson Cano or their drama-laden third baseman Alex Rodriguez' suspension hearings.

St. Louis, who traded third baseman and World Series 2011 MVP David Freese to the Los Angeles Angels for speedy center fielder Peter Bourjos (a stellar defender, questionable bat) seems poised to also add free agent shortstop Jhonny Peralta of the Detroit Tigers. Peralta was looking at a contract of four years, 50 mil+ which would seem excessive (and would scare off the New York Mets who had schmoozed with him during the owner's meetings earlier in the month. More details if the signing becomes official.

Mets Lets Go 2015
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Yup Saucy the Yankees are quick out of the gate and on the move to improve for 2014. The acquisition of Brian McCann will bring plenty of fire behind the plate this contract is huge I don’t think there has been anything this rich for a catcher since Piazza back in 1998If the vesting option for a 6th season kicks in it could bring Brain somewhere near $100 Million A terrific upgrade for the bombers. I have always liked McCann a great receiver of the ball for sure, he will also bring back some of the fire we haven’t seen lately in the Yankees clubhouse. It also says a lot about the Yankee farm system since obviously the team did not go there for catching I always felt the Yankee farm system was kinda weak and not really productive. The Yankees want to win next year and with A-Rod situation they are going to make a lot of big plays for the free agent s out there. So what’s next? Well ya gotta figure the real possibility of Beltran coming to the team, I know a lot of you Cards fans don’t wanna hear that but it’s a real possibility Ya might even say probability. Then of course they gotta get Cano resigned and at least one maybe two starting pitchers. So yup the Yanks are a commin.
    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic101694_8.gif

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Yep, sonny.. even though they will apparently do whatever they can to get under $189 mil for luxury tax purposes next year hat doesn't mean the Yanks will not be creative and flexible in the process. They also do have to hit the free agent market hard because of the disappointing showing of their farm system... still some promising young players but most seemed to have regressed some last year. Not at peak trade value, either. McCann as a great clubhouse reputation, though I'm not really a Yankee fan( but respect the tradition like you do and want them to do well )so glad they're getting a good character guy.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

St. Louis apparently will sign Detroit shortstop Jhonny Peralta, who had the interest of both the New York Yankees and Mets to a free agent deal worth around 52 mil over four years. More than the Mets for one had expected... Peralta's involvement in the controversial Miami Biogenesis clinic which landed him a 50 game suspension for use of a banned substance apparently had no nehative ramifications as he got a lot more than was expected. Even some current baseball players in tweets ripped the St. Louis organization for their unseemly generosity as nowhere early on did it look like a contract of such length and guaranteed money would be forthcoming, and some do think( I believe with good justification)that at least they had to earn trust and respect... giving so much so soon wasn't warranted.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Really is a shame you can still get rewarded for cheating.
    St. Louis doing what they just did only ensures PEDS will continue in the game.
    As for my Yanks,the McCann signing is good but unless we improve with pitching,it won't mean much in the end.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Yankees signing Jacoby Ellsbury is fine, I'm not one of those New Yorkers who hate on the Yankees even though I love my Mets, poor masochist I am. It's the seven years, 153 mil.... with an option year bringing it possibly to 169 mil, that has me screaming in my head, "WTF"?!!!!!!! I'm doing the math in every way, but no way Ellsbury deserves this kind of money. At best see him as a five or six year deal player at no more than 90-100 mil, and even that's kinda stretching. Yanks supposed to be on a fiscal diet or something.... what kind would that be, a "seafood" diet? They see food and grab all they can,lol... they may have a relatively restrained budget(for them) so they wind up under the 189 mil threshold before a huge luxury tax hit gets them next offseason, but they are definitely mot skimping where they see a need. Wonder if this means they'll ditch Cano, because they have to get one more starting pitcher at least out of this offseason, plus likely a power hitting outfielder. When the farm system disappoints, nothing helps better than to be the biggest franchise in the biggest market on the continent, and just open your checkbook without wincing more than a millisecond.

Mets Lets Go 2015
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

After Hot Stove at 4:30 stay tuned for Daily News Live at 5 they will be all over Yankees McCann day
    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic101694_8.gif

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I am glad the Yankees shored up catching and signed Ellsbury,even I don't like the years.
    As for Cano,I'm glad to see the Yanks holding firm. Sorry,he is NOT worth the money or years he wants.
    I'm well aware of his stats,defense and RBI totals but the last thing the Yanks need is another A-Rod or Pujols like contract.
    If the money means that much to Cano,he can go to Seattle and simply count his money while watching the playoffs on TV.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Ten years, 240 mil? Come on, Seattle... well, hey like you said Ninja, if the money is the most important consideration I hope he enjoys watching the playoffs on TV as well as the dreary, drizzly weather. Hey, there's always the Space Needle for you and JZ to amue yourselves by when he visits. Bet you'll be happy to see him!

Ninja, Yankees go preaching fiscal responsibility...and I don't hate the Yanks, more the increasingly corporate lack of consideration to their fans, but the players and history I have total respect and admiration for even as you know how much the Mets are my favorite team. However try as I might, wtf are they thinking about going seven years, with an option for an eighth ( appears they were dead set on giving Cano an eighth year) at up to 169 mil? In what universe is Jacoby Ellsbury THAT kind of player, other than ONE full season when admittedly he was amazing? It's beyond incomprehensible ANYONE would go beyond six years, 100 mil and even that's a stretch for a player with Ellsbury's usual stats. He's a great defensive center fielder, and in a good typical year hits .290-.300 with 40+ steals and scores around 100 runs. But other than once hasn't hit more than nine homers, and it's not like he regularly gives you 50 doubles or 20 triples...how can ANYONE justify a base average for seven years of near 22 mil? FOR 153 mil total, not including the option year Does that in itself set the market just because the Yankees took a player worth in reality probably half that and just said" Fuck it, we're the Yankees... we can do it just because"?????????

I hold no love for what Cano and his reps are doing but come on, the Yankee organization is being hypocritical here. They've vastly inflated the worth of a very good leadoff hitter dependent on speed and giving him what could be eight years, and self righteously squawk how they won't come off of seven years, 175 mil for Cano. If Seattle is going to be stupid with the ten year thing, let em have Cano... he's showing then money trumps the whole New York Yankee pride and history thing. But the Yankee organization is really foolish here spending so much on a less critical need than pitching or a reliable RBI bat.

The money they offered Brian McCann was far more understandable as they need a good run producer from the catcher spot and McCann has consistent good power that might even be enhanced by Yankee Stadium's short right field stands. They offered five guaranteed years at 85 mil(with an option that could take it to $100 mil)and in line with what they had given Jorge Posada in his last long term contract the inflation wasn't so bad. McCann's better defensively though.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Seattle's so gutless... let Robinson Cano and JayZ walk all over them and gave in to a ten year, 240 mil deal. Honestly I think major league clubs next Basic Agreement go round have to limit contracts to six guaranteed years, with a seventh year option as maximums. Still more generous than the NBA four year maximums, five only with their current clubs. Screw Robinson Cano! He may have been upset he believed the Yankees were saying with him it's all about the money, but in the end that proved correct. Guess he'll love all the protection for him in the lineup.. oh wait, he's the only big deal in the lineup! Well he's got King Felix for now, maybe some decent prospects but I don't think he's going to be starting Cano-mania from Seattle, though their ballpark is top notch. Like I said, JayZ can always visit and they can go up the Space Needle together, lol! But he was looking to capitalize on major media marketplace and Seattle ain't it. It's pretty nearby, though and the city itself is nice but the weather tends to be dreary and this isn't New York, Chicago, or LA for maximizing exposure to the Cano brand. Mazeltov though, Robinson... you and JayZ found a live one to pull one over on in the Mariner organization!

But when you visit Yankee Stadium, hope the fans boo your ass.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Excuse me for bragging, but I got this e-card. (safe for work)

Merry Christmas, everyone!

KG8
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Thad1527 View Post
    Excuse me for bragging, but I got this e-card. (safe for work)

Merry Christmas, everyone!
    Nice one. Go Nats.
    Nats add Doug Fister to their Rotation.
    Gregster, Gumby, Muffin Man, Zer00ry, Zero, Tech Superhero ,Gumbicito, King Gumby VII, King Gumby VIII,
    King of NoVA, King with a Royal Scepter, Greggo.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

On Cano,I don't think it was the money so much as the years. As bad as the Ellsbury deal might be,it's NOTHING compared to the awful deal Seattle just made.
    The Yanks got burned by a ten year deal once with A-Rod,they weren't going to make that mistake again.
    I will miss Cano's bat and his defense but for ten years and the amount of money he got,no thanks.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Cano is Seattle's problem now. I am happy the Yankees didn't cave in to the 10 year deal, I really think as Ninja stated above, it was the years. I give another 3 or 4 years and Cano is start falling apart.

You can tell teams like the Yankees and the Soxs learned their lesson on low term contracts.

With Beltran, Ellsbury, and McCann, the Yankees need another one or two starters.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I just for the life of me don't know why they went a guaranteed seven years, 153 mil with the likelihood of using a eighth year option that would bring the contract to 169 mil. At best Ellsbury is a five or six year, 90-100 mil player. He only had one outstanding year...you can't give nearly 22 mil a year on average to someone who will average in a typical year .300, nine homers, 60 RBI, 50 steals and 92-95 runs scored. That's a very good complementary player, not superstar money type player. So I understand if Cano is kind of pissed since he produced gaudier home run and RBI numbers and average in his career, and they weren't even thinking eighth year option on him. I just think it's ludicrous player contracts aren't limited to six guaranteed years because so many become financial albatrosses and today's dollars are getting progressively insane.

Seattle feels they have to give him 240 million over ten years? Five or six years I still think Cano will be productive( but NOT happy as it dawns at best Seattle will be stuck in mediocrity during the length of this contract) but as the deal winds down Seattle will be regretting it. But yep Ninja, that's their problem. At least we didn't go that far with Ellsbury...still Yankees really overpaid for him. Just because Boston overpays for Carl Crawford just doesn't follow for that mistake the market shouldn't correct itself to reflect sanity. Good ole Scott Boras still has it... I know the Ellsbury family loves him for certain!

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I think the Yanks figure they can propbably eat the contract at the end if need be.
    Cano though,from everything I've heard,he wanted 9 0r 10 years period and the Yanks weren't going there again.
    As for the money,I agree but it is what it is.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Definitely a great point, Ninja. I'm also glad the Yankees didn't bite when Cincinnati pretty much begged them to take Brandon Phillips for Brett Gardner. Yep, Phillips is a really good second baseman but with 50 mil over the next four years and being 32 already next year, declining batting average and moody demeanor plus he would have asked for more money to wave his no trade clause. The George Steinbrenner Yankees would have gone there but though his son Hal has proven with Ellsbury, Mc Cann,, and Beltran he'll spend there is also a good business sense of not just throwing money for the sake of adding names. The Yankees are not sure what's going to happen with Alex Rodriguez' suspension hearing and if they do lose him for the most part or whole of the 2014 season as looking very likely they want to have flexibility. They love Omar Infante but are waiting for his agent's price to drop from four years, 40 mil... three years at most they want to give, don't want to go over 30 mil. Omar's a good player who can play third as well as second and if the Yankees can add him at a more reasonable price, though they lose power they get someone who could fit at ether position very well, nice contact bat too.

Seattle also got Corey Hart as a free agent from Milwaukee on a one year deal but his knees are worrisome.... not a great fielder though if healthy a potent 30 home run bat, though strikes out a lot. Also got Logan Morrison in a trade with the Marlins, to put in the outfield or at first if Hart can only DH or doesn't work out. Robinson Cano now is the man there, along with King Felix... that precious few will notice unless he helps get Seattle into the playoffs quick is his problem.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

More baseball-themed holiday fun. Safe for work, of course!

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Nice Thad! MLB loves ya!

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Yankees just signed the longtime Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts to a one year, 2 mil deal... it's a bit of a crapshoot with his recent years beset by injuries but if he can just stay healthy you've got a guy who's a doubles dynamo hitting 42 or more five times including three years of 50+, certainly can steal some base, strikes out a bit but walks a lot and has some power and plays a solid second base... why not take the chance, for a year and not that much money comparatively?

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Congrats on Glavine,Maddux and Thomas for getting into the HOF today!

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Yep, Ninja...three great players who definitely belong in the Hall. I think Craig Biggio should have made it as well but it was close and he likely will make the cut next year. Not happy Mike Piazza still hasn't gained traction, though with the drugging rumors about him wonder how long it will take to get in? Also Jeff Bagwell losing support... great player, but again drug rumors are hurting him.