JustUsBoys.com gay porn forum

logo

remove these banner ads by becoming a JUB Supporter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 51
  1. #1
    Sex God
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    بولندا
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    839

    Code of Conduct

    Silly Windows 8 questions

    Hi
    Sorry for troubling you, especially with such silly questions, but please, help me - dummy.
    I have a new computer, with Windows 8.
    I have a couple questions.
    1) how do I search for stuff on my computer?
    2) how do I find control panel?
    3) how do I add another language?

    Well, I guess when I find the control panel, I will be able to add another language, and if I know how to search I will be able to find the control panel, perhaps

    Thank you for your answers.

  2. #2
    Keeland
    Guest

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Jump to the 2:07 mark:

    Last edited by Keeland; March 8th, 2013 at 05:14 PM.

  3. #3
    Sex God
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    بولندا
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    839

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    thank you mate

  4. #4
    GiancarloC
    Guest

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

    Here is something good if you're having trouble finding things. I wanted the old start menu back and this is a way to do it. Once you add the start menu the control panel would be there.

  5. #5
    Sex God
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    بولندا
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    839

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    thank you.
    One more question. In this new windows, if I have a couple applications of the same type opened, they are visible on the lower toolbar as one icon only, while once every application (in my case, word document) had its own icon. Is it possible to return to the old system? It was much better.

  6. #6
    panegyric JUB Admin Corny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Germany!
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    36,227
    Blog Entries
    12

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    At least in Windows 7 you can rightclick the taskbar, choose properties and change that "group" behavior. Maybe this works in 8, too.
    Check out my very own Body Hair Lovers and Photography Groups!

  7. #7
    Sex God AstareGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    647

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Corny View Post
    At least in Windows 7 you can rightclick the taskbar, choose properties and change that "group" behavior. Maybe this works in 8, too.
    I can confirm this is also the case in Windows 8 (and Windows RT). Right click on the Taskbar and choose Properties. There's a dropdown list next to "Taskbar buttons". You'll want to pick either the second or third option of that dropdown list.

    I will say that I'm a huge fan of Windows 8. I started using it the day the Developer Preview came out, so I was used to it way before it went on sale. However I do think Microsoft really dropped the ball on making it easy for people to learn and discover how it works. There are lots of gestures and shortcuts here and there, but they aren't easily discovered and take a few tries to learn.

    I'm not sure if this was in the video that Keeland posted, but if you mouse to the lower-left to where the picture of the Start Screen appears and RIGHT-click, you'll be shown a menu of lots of advanced options. I forget it's there and do things the long way, but I'm getting better.
    Brad's Search - 70,000 words and counting!

  8. #8
    Sex God
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    بولندا
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    839

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    thank you both

  9. #9
    GiancarloC
    Guest

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    You're welcome.

    I also am a major fan of Windows 8 like AstareGod, but I agree with him. I can tell one thing... Windows 7 is sluggish and is a slug compared to this OS, and it's not even close to as stable. The ease of use should be something that should be addressed in future updates. Microsoft needs to bring back the old start menu as that is what many people like and it has everything. For now, I paid $4.99 to bring it back with the Stardock. Works well for me.

  10. #10
    Surviving Another Day BillyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oviedo
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    51,226

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    I just got a new laptop with windows 8. My question is with my old computer I would read or post here on Jub and the thread would mark as being read or that I posted last. This computer does not do that unless I go to another forum and return. Does anyone know how to set to the old way? Thanks

  11. #11
    Keeland
    Guest

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Sounds like a cookie screwup.

    Log off, toss JUB's cookies, clear the cache and log back into JUB.

  12. #12
    Surviving Another Day BillyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oviedo
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    51,226

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Done that. Also have tried Yahoo, Bing and Google as my search engines and still the same thing. I think it has something to do with the internet explorer settings but don't know which settings to change. Thanks anyway.

  13. #13
    In Loving Memory Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Curious
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    43,836

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Glad I'm not the only one having fun with the new W-8.

    Both my new Laptop Notebook and new Tabletop (long story)

    are W8 and touch screen. The Photo Icon at start is storing

    tonnes of photos but when I want to use one, I can't get it out.

    Except delete which obviously defeats the purpose of saving them.

    and it saves a bunch I didn't ask it too.

    I bought a $25. Windows 8 for Dummies but I guess I'm

    not even 'Training Wheels' ready yet.


  14. #14
    Inactive
    star-warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Home is where the heart is
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    36,631
    Blog Entries
    9

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one having fun with the new W-8.

    Both my new Laptop Notebook and new Tabletop (long story)

    are W8 and touch screen. The Photo Icon at start is storing

    tonnes of photos but when I want to use one, I can't get it out.

    Except delete which obviously defeats the purpose of saving them.

    and it saves a bunch I didn't ask it too.

    I bought a $25. Windows 8 for Dummies but I guess I'm

    not even 'Training Wheels' ready yet.

    Caveat emptor


  15. #15
    The Journey of a Lifetime Adrock-JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    5,874

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Seems to me that Microsoft should have released two versions, a touch screen and a non touch screen for the 90% rest of the computers running it. What kind of idiots are working over there? Has Apple infiltrated them? If so, mission accomplished.

    This has caused me to delay buying a new pc until they either solve this issue or I decide to stop using Microsoft.

  16. #16
    M10000
    Guest

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    how do I search for stuff on my computer?
    Irydion,
    My favorite program for the computer is a search engine called 'Everything'. This program is sooo fast that it will find things in milli seconds. Just watch the video below.

    It is this fast because it scans your computer when it opens. The scanning will depend on how big your computer is. I have 3 terabyte of data so it takes longer about 10 minutes. But it will not take as long on computers with less data.

    You will see how fast it works in this demo . . .



    (I have Everything set on task scheduler so it is on my screen first thing in the morning. It reminds me to have it scan the computer first thing in the morning)

  17. #17
    ( ̄(エ) ̄) GamerBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portland
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    11,634
    Blog Entries
    4

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Windows 8 sure is a crappy operating system, has a lot of issues with some of the games I run. Wish when I bought my computer it came with Windows 7 instead of 8. I hear that 8.1 will allow people to by pass that ugly start up menu and go right to the desktop.

  18. #18
    JustMeBois
    hack24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Columbus
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    7,142

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Does anyone know of a free software for unzipping files and combining .rar files? I just got a new system and am pretty much tapped out after paying for it. It's a Microsoft 7 enhanced system that runs on IE-10 (I think I got that right). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

  19. #19

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by hack24 View Post
    Does anyone know of a free software for unzipping files and combining .rar files? I just got a new system and am pretty much tapped out after paying for it. It's a Microsoft 7 enhanced system that runs on IE-10 (I think I got that right). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I've always really liked 7Zip. http://www.7-zip.org/
    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic216959_1.gif

  20. #20
    JustMeBois
    hack24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Columbus
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    7,142

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Thanks, borg69unimatrix. I'll check it out.

  21. #21

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by hack24 View Post
    Thanks, borg69unimatrix. I'll check it out.
    Ah, good avatar...always nice to be reminded of Tim Hamilton!

    Seconded on the 7Zip recommendation, and you're supporting the open-source concept in using it, too. WinRAR is of course the defacto standard and the one most people think of, and it'll actually continue to operate perpetually by design (albeit with a nag screen) even after the trial ends. But if you want to try something a little less mainstream, 7Zip is for sure a great choice.

  22. #22
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,495
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    So far as I can tell, what Windows 8 excels at is requiring more keystrokes or mouse clicks to do the same old tasks; second is making it very hard to find out how to do anything in the first place.

    I ran into another bizarre thing today: when I try to use an email link on a website, Windows butts in and wants me to use a Microsoft account and their mail program -- whatever it is. I want as little as possible to do with Microsoft (bad enough I'm stuck with their OS), so I don't want that. But when I went to look into turning off their mail program, it turned out I can only do that if I turn off messaging (fine with me) and the calendar (huh?).

    Does anyone know a way to keep the calendar but kill their mail?

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  23. #23
    Sex God AstareGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    647

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    So far as I can tell, what Windows 8 excels at is requiring more keystrokes or mouse clicks to do the same old tasks; second is making it very hard to find out how to do anything in the first place.

    I ran into another bizarre thing today: when I try to use an email link on a website, Windows butts in and wants me to use a Microsoft account and their mail program -- whatever it is. I want as little as possible to do with Microsoft (bad enough I'm stuck with their OS), so I don't want that. But when I went to look into turning off their mail program, it turned out I can only do that if I turn off messaging (fine with me) and the calendar (huh?).

    Does anyone know a way to keep the calendar but kill their mail?
    I think the calendar, mail, messaging, and people apps are all bundled together. When an update shows up, it references all four apps as if they were one-and-the-same.

    What you can do is change the protocol handler for mailto:. Open the Start Screen, type in "Default Programs", and pick it from the list. (Alternatively, go to Control Panel (quick way is to right-click in the lower-left corner of the screen), go to "Programs", then "Default Programs". Click "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". Once the list loads, scroll all the way near the bottom, pick "Mailto", then click "Change program". You should be able to choose your preferred mail program from there.

    Not many people know about the right-click menu in the lower-left corner of the screen. You can also open it up by holding down the Windows key and hitting "X". Once that menu opens, you can also type the underlined letter of the choice you want, if you want to keep your hands on the keyboard.

    It may take some time getting used to the new stuff. I've been using it since the Developer Preview, so I've had lots of time to get used to it and I find that I'm much faster on Windows 8 than I ever was on 7, Vista, or XP. And I live mostly on the desktop. YMMV.
    Brad's Search - 70,000 words and counting!

  24. #24
    Defender of Downtrodden
    DonQuixote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western New York
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Curious
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    40,371

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    I'm doing a little pre-reading since I have a new laptop w/ Win 8 Non-touch coming.


    And I know, if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest . . .

  25. #25
    The nice guy from Nice. dpnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    7,562
    Blog Entries
    295

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    I don't really understand these problems. All I know is that when I was looking for something, eg. uninstall a program all I did was type on the "start" screen "control panel" and there it was. In fact all I typed was "con"

    All I can say is that suddenly my computer is doing exactly what I want it to do rather than what Microsoft think I want to do.

    I think if I end up with too much on the "start" screen I will consider installing the old start button but at the moment I find everything easy and uncluttered.
    http://justusboys.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=72786&dateline=115443  2352

  26. #26
    ( ̄(エ) ̄) GamerBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portland
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    11,634
    Blog Entries
    4

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dpnice View Post
    I think if I end up with too much on the "start" screen I will consider installing the old start button but at the moment I find everything easy and uncluttered.
    Installing the old start button? Is that using a third party software?

  27. #27
    The nice guy from Nice. dpnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    7,562
    Blog Entries
    295

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by GamerBear View Post
    Installing the old start button? Is that using a third party software?
    It seems you can buy different ones to do this (seen on YouTube videos). I also came across a video explaining how to do it in Windows 8; but I forgot to copy the link.
    http://justusboys.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=72786&dateline=115443  2352

  28. #28
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,495
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dpnice View Post
    I don't really understand these problems. All I know is that when I was looking for something, eg. uninstall a program all I did was type on the "start" screen "control panel" and there it was. In fact all I typed was "con"

    All I can say is that suddenly my computer is doing exactly what I want it to do rather than what Microsoft think I want to do.

    I think if I end up with too much on the "start" screen I will consider installing the old start button but at the moment I find everything easy and uncluttered.
    I never kept more than six icons on my desktop in Windows 7 or before. So the Win8 start screen is insanely cluttered right off the bat.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  29. #29
    Defender of Downtrodden
    DonQuixote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western New York
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Curious
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    40,371

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Kuli,
    It does have a lot of icons, and I'd like to be able to have more spacing - but I found the enlarge/shrink to make an icon a square (1/2 size) or a rectangle (full section).

    I've played with arranging the tiles to where I want them so the items I'm most likely to use, are near at hand.


    And I know, if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest . . .

  30. #30
    The nice guy from Nice. dpnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    7,562
    Blog Entries
    295

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    I never kept more than six icons on my desktop in Windows 7 or before. So the Win8 start screen is insanely cluttered right off the bat.
    But the start screen is not your desk top.

    My desk top is absolute clear apart from my calendar and the trash bin.

    The start screen is your old start menu in a different configuration. Now your old start menu was chock full and the only difference is that you scrolled up and down.

    All your regular sites and programmes you can pin to your task bar to keep the desk top clear and never have need to go to the start screen.
    http://justusboys.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=72786&dateline=115443  2352

  31. #31
    Defender of Downtrodden
    DonQuixote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western New York
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Curious
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    40,371

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    When I log in, the start screen is the default, but I click on my Firefox icon and it takes me to my desktop and launches FF.

    I don't have much on my desktop, either - mostly what my son put on there when he was using it over the past month.


    And I know, if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest . . .

  32. #32
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,495
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dpnice View Post
    But the start screen is not your desk top.

    My desk top is absolute clear apart from my calendar and the trash bin.

    The start screen is your old start menu in a different configuration. Now your old start menu was chock full and the only difference is that you scrolled up and down.

    All your regular sites and programmes you can pin to your task bar to keep the desk top clear and never have need to go to the start screen.
    The start screen is the center of the action in Windows 8. It comers up automatically at the start. And it dominates even when not present, because all the crap Microsoft put on it steps in to do things, taking over and keeping you from doing anything else when it interferes. That's why I keep having to download other software and change the settings in Windows 8 -- to get things done. They've made the desktop just a tool, rather like putting a partition in front of the office desk so you can't get to it.

    And many of my regular programs have been banished by Windows 8 -- e.g. their stupid decision to make simple games into elaborate affairs that take over the computer in order to play, and their building in a PDF reader that makes it harder to get things done.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  33. #33
    The nice guy from Nice. dpnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    7,562
    Blog Entries
    295

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Kulindahr Yours isn't the first criticism I have read about Windows 8 so I can understand you not liking it.

    But for someone like me who doesn't play games, make videos or circulate on social networks it is working like a charm. I am absolutely adoring exploring and using it.

    You are obviously not the only one who doesn't like it as I am certainly not the only person who finds it great.
    http://justusboys.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=72786&dateline=115443  2352

  34. #34
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,495
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dpnice View Post
    Kulindahr Yours isn't the first criticism I have read about Windows 8 so I can understand you not liking it.

    But for someone like me who doesn't play games, make videos or circulate on social networks it is working like a charm. I am absolutely adoring exploring and using it.

    You are obviously not the only one who doesn't like it as I am certainly not the only person who finds it great.
    I have yet to meet someone who uses the internet seriously to research and write at the same time who likes it -- if someone sat down to design a system that constantly got in the way of actually using the internet to do work, he couldn't do much better than Win8.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  35. #35
    The nice guy from Nice. dpnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    7,562
    Blog Entries
    295

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Why didn't I know about this?

    http://www.eightforums.com/

    I am getting all the answers I needed to my difficulties and problems.

    Password is now gone.

    Public folders no longer exist.
    http://justusboys.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=72786&dateline=115443  2352

  36. #36
    The nice guy from Nice. dpnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    7,562
    Blog Entries
    295

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Just another thought:

    I still have so much to do to get this computer up and going:

    Find a simple address book and enter all my contacts
    Sort out how to add my mail address so that files are attached automatically
    Get all the windows to open full screen by default
    Learn how to back up the "start" screen
    Find out what I do about backing up the whole computer; I can do the file backup by copying to a USB clé
    etc;
    http://justusboys.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=72786&dateline=115443  2352

  37. #37

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dpnice View Post
    Just another thought:

    I still have so much to do to get this computer up and going:

    Find a simple address book and enter all my contacts
    Sort out how to add my mail address so that files are attached automatically
    Get all the windows to open full screen by default
    Learn how to back up the "start" screen
    Find out what I do about backing up the whole computer; I can do the file backup by copying to a USB clé
    etc;
    You should have a Contacts place on your PC already... Look in an area similar to:

    C:\Users\dpnice\Contacts
    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic216959_1.gif

  38. #38
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,495
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dpnice View Post
    Public folders no longer exist.
    There's an attractive idea.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  39. #39
    The Journey of a Lifetime Adrock-JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    5,874

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    I never, ever thought I'd be saying this but thank God I have Vista running on my current pc.

    No problems. At all. Smooth as a baby's bottom. That wasn't the case for the first few years.

    I just hope Microsuck gets over their "fuck eveyone not using a touch screen/tablet" before I need a new pc.

    I do not need or want a touch screen or tablet. I want a large screen full HD monitor and a loaded desktop pc. Which is what I have. When I need to replace the desktop pc, I don't want to replace a new HD monitor by paying for another, smaller screen on a laptop or tablet.

  40. #40
    Defender of Downtrodden
    DonQuixote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western New York
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Curious
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    40,371

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Adrock,
    It's not that bad.

    I've had 7 for years, and XP at work. 8.1 is fine w/out touch screen, once you turn off the swipe features designed for touch screen.
    Then it's a question of getting used to the changes, like everything else. Start "button" is now a full screen.

    Not that big of a deal.


    And I know, if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest . . .

  41. #41
    ( ̄(エ) ̄) GamerBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portland
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    11,634
    Blog Entries
    4

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrock-JD View Post
    I never, ever thought I'd be saying this but thank God I have Vista running on my current pc.

    No problems. At all. Smooth as a baby's bottom. That wasn't the case for the first few years.

    I just hope Microsuck gets over their "fuck eveyone not using a touch screen/tablet" before I need a new pc.

    I do not need or want a touch screen or tablet. I want a large screen full HD monitor and a loaded desktop pc. Which is what I have. When I need to replace the desktop pc, I don't want to replace a new HD monitor by paying for another, smaller screen on a laptop or tablet.
    Vista is extremely slow now on my desktop PC. Windows 8 has been behaving nicely ever since I turned off their Windows Updates. I got that one update from Microsoft where it corrupted files and made my computer super slow. I long since turned off Windows Updates.

  42. #42
    JUB Addict SaskGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    1,795

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by irydion View Post
    Hi
    Sorry for troubling you, especially with such silly questions, but please, help me - dummy.
    I have a new computer, with Windows 8.
    I have a couple questions.
    1) how do I search for stuff on my computer?
    2) how do I find control panel?
    3) how do I add another language?

    Well, I guess when I find the control panel, I will be able to add another language, and if I know how to search I will be able to find the control panel, perhaps

    Thank you for your answers.
    1. First download and install "Classic Shell". From there, you can search for stuff the way you would on an OS that isn't a complete piece of shit.
    2. You can find it on Classic Shell's start menu that should have been on the pissing OS in the first place.
    3. I honestly have no idea... but a Google search might help. Microsoft's website is rarely any help at all, and many times, they just tell you to google it, so don't even bother with their site.

    When I first got Windows 8, I was very confused, and it felt like trying to learn how to use a computer all over again! I seriously wonder what they were smoking, snorting, or shooting up when they decided this was an acceptable OS to force upon us. After downloading Classic Shell, I was able to feel my way around a little better.
    There's other programs that add a start menu to Windows 8, many of which you have to pay for... but fuck, who would pay for something they can get for free? That's like wasting money buying a low quality, re-recording on iTunes, when you can download the 320kbps original version for free.

  43. #43
    The nice guy from Nice. dpnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    7,562
    Blog Entries
    295

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    "2) how do I find control panel?"

    All I did was go to the start screen and type in "control panel".

    You can do any number of searches on the start screen, just start typing and you will see it come up.
    http://justusboys.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=72786&dateline=115443  2352

  44. #44
    Sex God AstareGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    647

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Move the mouse to the bottom-left corner so the "Start" rectangle appears. Don't left-click, but right-click instead. That brings up what I think of as a Power User menu, which has all sorts of commands to quickly get to things like Command Prompt and Control Panel.

    The Windows 8.1 update will add more things to this menu.
    Brad's Search - 70,000 words and counting!

  45. #45
    Defender of Downtrodden
    DonQuixote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western New York
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Curious
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    40,371

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Windows 8.1 upgrade came out about the day I bought this ultrabook.
    I updated to it immediately, and, after turning off the "touch screen swipe" functionality, it's been working fine.

    I even managed to adjust some of the programs and their places on the main screen to get what I wanted up front.
    That was a bit daunting just because they dynamically shift, which can move things from where you "just put them" until you get something else moved.


    And I know, if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest . . .

  46. #46
    The nice guy from Nice. dpnice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    7,562
    Blog Entries
    295

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by AstareGod View Post
    Move the mouse to the bottom-left corner so the "Start" rectangle appears. Don't left-click, but right-click instead. That brings up what I think of as a Power User menu, which has all sorts of commands to quickly get to things like Command Prompt and Control Panel.

    The Windows 8.1 update will add more things to this menu.
    Oh! I didn't know that. I find that neat.
    http://justusboys.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=72786&dateline=115443  2352

  47. #47
    Sex God AstareGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    647

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by dpnice View Post
    Oh! I didn't know that. I find that neat.
    A lot of times I forget it's even there. But it sure does come in handy.
    Brad's Search - 70,000 words and counting!

  48. #48
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,495
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by AstareGod View Post
    A lot of times I forget it's even there. But it sure does come in handy.
    It's almost as good as having an actual Start menu.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  49. #49
    Defender of Downtrodden
    DonQuixote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western New York
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Curious
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    40,371

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Kuli,
    Once you get the tiles where you want them, it's a Super-Sized Start menu.

    My Ultrabook goes to this when I log in - so the windows key will also take me back to it.


    And I know, if I'll only be true, to this glorious quest . . .

  50. #50
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,495
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Silly Windows 8 questions

    Quote Originally Posted by DonQuixote View Post
    Kuli,
    Once you get the tiles where you want them, it's a Super-Sized Start menu.

    My Ultrabook goes to this when I log in - so the windows key will also take me back to it.
    Where I want most of the tiles is in submenus, where they only show when I go there. My ideal start menu would have a half dozen items, total.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About JustUsBoys.com | Site Map | RSS | Webmasters | Advertise | Link to JUB | Report A Bug on this Page

Visit our sister sites: Broke Straight Boys | CollegeDudes.com | CollegeBoyPhysicals.com | RocketTube
All models appearing on JustUsBoys.com were over 18 at the time of photography. The records for sexually explicit images required by U.S. 2257 are kept by the
individual producers of the images. The location of the records is available by clicking the Custodian of Records link at the bottom of each gallery page.
© 2012 JustUsBoys.com. The JustUsBoys.com name and logo are registered trademarks. Labeled with ICRA and RTA. Member of ASACP and The Free Speech Coalition.