JustUsBoys.com gay porn forum

logo

remove these banner ads by becoming a JUB Supporter.

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 189
  1. #1
    WTF????? refujiunderground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    10,113
    Blog Entries
    43

    Code of Conduct

    Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    with that said, i download music, movies, porn, and damn near everything that i can get my hands on the internet for free. who wouldn't? just got my hands on some hand to find porn that i'd have to go over on a torrent for and DAMNIT, i'm happy.

    Moderator comment: The first 25 posts were split from the 'Confessions' thread to create this one.
    Last edited by quasar; January 11th, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
    one thing about the closet/you don't have to hurry/it will be bad tomorrow/so brother, don't you worry

  2. #2
    stacy
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Thanks for taking money out of my pocket and making it very difficult for many of us to find jobs in an industry struggling with paying for your need to be an asshole.

  3. #3
    tombastep
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by refujiunderground View Post
    am i the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?
    There is definitely something wrong with it when it comes to non-corporate people who release their own music/movies/books. Which is understandable coming from Stacy's post. I am not going to lie and say I never download music/movies/games now and in the past, but I definitely don't do it all the time and I will purchase something that I do really like.

    I could have easily pirated this game that I just bought recently, but I didn't because it was an indie developer that consists of 2 people. Plus they have already released a game in the past that I also really liked so I knew I was going to get something I enjoy.

    That probably sounds a bit self righteous, but I don't intend it to be.

  4. #4
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,602

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    I never pirate games because dev houses have gone out of business more times than can be counted and excluding like the three hugest devs, almost no game dev ever is more than one big flop away from closing up shop or being bought out.

    Likewise, music is now so accessible and affordable now via things like itunes that if I really want a song beyond just listening to it once in awhile on youtube, it's totally reasonable to buy it.

    I will say though that when big movies that I know made plenty of money get overly anal about being accessible-- they won't go on netflix, they can't be rented on netflix, you can't pay purchase them anywhere digitally, I do sometimes pirate. I don't want to add to my huge collection of plastic waste sitting in a huge pile of dvd's and cd's and if they go out of their way in greed to be overly controlling about how you are able to buy a copy, they aren't with the times.

    Oh also this obviously excludes small indie films unless there's literally no other way to get them, which is sometimes the case. When a small or foreign flick shows up that I like I'll theater visit it 2 or 3 times sometimes.

  5. #5
    JUB Addict maxpowr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,839
    Blog Entries
    3

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    ^Especially on limited release stuff that isn't available in the US, particularly on the subject of anime. Whenever the stuff gets imported over to the US, it gets dubbed and I cannot stand dubbed at all as the voice acting is mediocre at best due to them not capturing the emotions of the original. Subbed is how I enjoy my anime. Outside of that, if I feel strong about something, I will pay for it. I am not like the others that pirate Game of Thrones. I do pay for the sub for it. Course I would love it if HBO GO was spun off into its own package but HBO proves too stupid to do such a thing.

  6. #6
    stacy
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    It does not matter what excuse you use to make yourself feel better.

    Stealing is stealing.

    So because you steal a pack of gum from Wal-mart it's not a crime because you're not stealing it from Joe's Liquor Store down the street?

    This is a volatile topic that gets my blood boiling. As an artist, writer, and someone connected to Hollywood movie making, the porn industry, and the music industry, no matter how you spin it you are stealing if you do not pay for the product you are downloading from the Internet. Period.

    Thousands of people work on that product you are taking for free. And every time you steal from them you take away someone's job. I don't care what your excuse is, there is never a reason to take something for free if it is not offered by the person who owns the product as free.

    /rant for now

  7. #7
    tombastep
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by stacy View Post
    It does not matter what excuse you use to make yourself feel better.

    Stealing is stealing.

    So because you steal a pack of gum from Wal-mart it's not a crime because you're not stealing it from Joe's Liquor Store down the street?

    This is a volatile topic that gets my blood boiling. As an artist, writer, and someone connected to Hollywood movie making, the porn industry, and the music industry, no matter how you spin it you are stealing if you do not pay for the product you are downloading from the Internet. Period.

    Thousands of people work on that product you are taking for free. And every time you steal from them you take away someone's job. I don't care what your excuse is, there is never a reason to take something for free if it is not offered by the person who owns the product as free.

    /rant for now
    It's not an excuse and it is still stealing. I know it is hypocritical, was just being honest with refuj and not pretending I wasn't guilty of it either. Wouldn't be fair to do that.

  8. #8
    stacy
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by tombastep View Post
    It's not an excuse and it is still stealing. I know it is hypocritical, was just being honest with refuj and not pretending I wasn't guilty of it either. Wouldn't be fair to do that.
    I get it, and I know that I am talking to air here, because nobody really cares what the consequences are, as long as they get it free, no skin off their backs. But bottom line is, no matter what the reason you give yourself or someone else, you're taking someone's work for granted. And that affects me personally.

  9. #9
    tombastep
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by stacy View Post
    I get it, and I know that I am talking to air here, because nobody really cares what the consequences are, as long as they get it free, no skin off their backs. But bottom line is, no matter what the reason you give yourself or someone else, you're taking someone's work for granted. And that affects me personally.
    Yep, you got me. Sorry for your inconvenience.

  10. #10
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,602

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by stacy View Post
    It does not matter what excuse you use to make yourself feel better.

    Stealing is stealing.

    So because you steal a pack of gum from Wal-mart it's not a crime because you're not stealing it from Joe's Liquor Store down the street?

    This is a volatile topic that gets my blood boiling. As an artist, writer, and someone connected to Hollywood movie making, the porn industry, and the music industry, no matter how you spin it you are stealing if you do not pay for the product you are downloading from the Internet. Period.

    Thousands of people work on that product you are taking for free. And every time you steal from them you take away someone's job. I don't care what your excuse is, there is never a reason to take something for free if it is not offered by the person who owns the product as free.

    /rant for now
    Yup, it's still stealing. However I would disagree that all stealing is equal. I think that stealing from someone like yourself, Stacy, is a very different thing than stealing from a company that paid a team of slave wage laborers on a 3 month contract to make something, cut them loose, and then sold 20 million copies with corporate suits keeping almost all of the profit. And that was what my post was a reflection of.

  11. #11

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    I'm probably going to catch a bunch of flack for this, but IMO the stealing goes both ways.

    How many times have people bought movies and albums thinking they were getting something great only to realize they were duped by clever editing in the previews, or the album only had ONE decent song on it and 23 crap ones?

    In nearly every other aspect of purchasing, people of an option to try on clothes, return bad meals at restaurants, ... and to sample the item(s) before making a purchase. With digital media once you bought it, you're screwed if you don't like it.
    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic216959_1.gif

  12. #12
    stacy
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Sorry.

    What I meant to say is:

    You are so cool! Can I suck all your dicks?!!!

  13. #13
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,602

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by stacy View Post
    Sorry.

    What I meant to say is:

    You are so cool! Can I suck all your dicks?!!!
    Also just so that you know Stacy while I have stolen things.. .I would never steal from an indie, small house, or independent artist like yourself. That doesn't change the fact that I have stolen stuff but I would never do it to an actual creator.

    Picture-- the current guys running Disney. And then charging $39.99 for a re-release of something. Those are the people I don't care about stiffing. lol.

  14. #14
    The gay gargoyle
    G-Lexington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver CO
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    44,916
    Blog Entries
    21

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by refujiunderground View Post
    am i the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?
    I see all sorts of things wrong with it, but that doesn't mean I don't think people aren't going to do it anyway. It's exceptionally easy to justify away, because it's so fucking easy. Most people wouldn't try to steal a shirt from a store. But if they could get a shirt to appear next to them with a few mouse clicks, they'd have to build larger closets.

    Lex

  15. #15
    tombastep
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by stacy View Post
    Sorry.

    What I meant to say is:

    You are so cool! Can I suck all your dicks?!!!
    No, you are supposed to continually make assumptions about peoples posts and reply with visceral comments. No one even said anything for your response to be that childishly insulting.

  16. #16
    thatgirl
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    I'm sure most people would prefer to pay for quality entertainment at a very affordable cost and have access to it in the most convenient way possible. On-demand streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, etc are preferable for most people I think. The temptation comes when it's too much of a hassle to access something or it's too expensive. Many companies are catching on to that and I think they're trying to work on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by maxpowr9 View Post
    ...I cannot stand dubbed at all as the voice acting is mediocre at best due to them not capturing the emotions of the original. Subbed is how I enjoy my anime.
    I'm the opposite. I just can't cope with subtitles and animation at the same time. It gives me a headache so I prefer to watch dubbed anime if it's available. But watching foreign language live-action tv shows or films in dubbed format is unacceptable for me. I do have some standards, mkay. -_-

  17. #17

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Awww.... (Hugs Stacy)-

    I'm sorry Punkin'. It's a bad, bad, ugly world we live in that's not fair, on multiple facets. You're right that it's not fair, and needs fixed... along with a zillion other aspects in this world that either are broken, or are nearly broken.

    I have no answers... but IF it makes you feel any better, most all of the torrent sites I used to use know of are mysteriously gone. I blame our government.
    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic216959_1.gif

  18. #18
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,602

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by thatgirl View Post
    I'm sure most people would prefer to pay for quality entertainment at a very affordable cost and have access to it in the most convenient way possible. On-demand streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, etc are preferable for most people I think. The temptation comes when it's too much of a hassle to access something or it's too expensive. Many companies are catching on to that and I think they're trying to work on it.



    I'm the opposite. I just can't cope with subtitles and animation at the same time. It gives me a headache so I prefer to watch dubbed anime if it's available. But watching foreign language live-action tv shows or films in dubbed format is unacceptable for me. I do have some standards, mkay. -_-
    Heathen! Burn her!

  19. #19
    tombastep
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by thatgirl View Post
    I'm the opposite. I just can't cope with subtitles and animation at the same time. It gives me a headache so I prefer to watch dubbed anime if it's available. But watching foreign language live-action tv shows or films in dubbed format is unacceptable for me. I do have some standards, mkay. -_-
    I am pretty much the same way although anime doesn't bother me subtitled, I don't mind it at all dubbed. When it is live action I hate it and I think it's because it is easier to tell the lips not matching up to the words and a lot of the times they give the foreign actors stereotypical bad dubs.

  20. #20
    stacy
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by xbuzzerx View Post
    Also just so that you know Stacy while I have stolen things.. .I would never steal from an indie, small house, or independent artist like yourself. That doesn't change the fact that I have stolen stuff but I would never do it to an actual creator.

    Picture-- the current guys running Disney. And then charging $39.99 for a re-release of something. Those are the people I don't care about stiffing. lol.
    What you are not understanding is MY WORK, the work of an independent artist, IS what you are stealing even though it has the name Disney stamped on it.

    No one is taking into consideration the fact that Disney might be a big conglomerate but there are small independent people working for them.

    You are stealing from me by clicking download on a pirated Disney movie just by doing the deed. Every time you do that the company you think you're fucking over because they're just too big, is cutting funding for an indie project, firing employees to hire new people who are capable of anti-pirating software creation and making it harder for me as an artist to get my work seen.

    This conversation is going to continue to go in circles though, so I am going to try to pull myself out of it.

  21. #21
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,602

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by stacy View Post
    What you are not understanding is MY WORK, the work of an independent artist, IS what you are stealing even though it has the name Disney stamped on it.

    No one is taking into consideration the fact that Disney might be a big conglomerate but there are small independent people working for them.

    You are stealing from me by clicking download on a pirated Disney movie just by doing the deed. Every time you do that the company you think you're fucking over because they're just too big, is cutting funding for an indie project, firing employees to hire new people who are capable of anti-pirating software creation and making it harder for me as an artist to get my work seen.

    This conversation is going to continue to go in circles though, so I am going to try to pull myself out of it.
    Stacy I get what you are saying but I think you are oversimplifying all big distribution houses as supportive of independent creation. There are many that pointedly KILL independent creation.

    Everybody familiar with the videogame industry could probably agree with that statement.

  22. #22
    stacy
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by tombastep View Post
    No, you are supposed to continually make assumptions about peoples posts and reply with visceral comments. No one even said anything for your response to be that childishly insulting.
    I was responding to the posts as they came, you made a snarky, smartass remark that was uncalled for and bullshit. You want me to kiss your ass because you only steal from big companies and because you admit it is stealing. So I did. Ya'll are too cool for school.

  23. #23
    tombastep
    Guest

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by stacy View Post
    I was responding to the posts as they came, you made a snarky, smartass remark that was uncalled for and bullshit. You want me to kiss your ass because you only steal from big companies and because you admit it is stealing. So I did. Ya'll are too cool for school.
    I made that comment because you made an insult at me that you're "talking to air" even though I pretty much agreed with you that I was stealing and what I was saying wasn't a legitimate excuse.

    And now you're making assumptions that I want you to kiss my ass which is why I stated I pirated in the first place when I responded to refuj. I didn't want it to come off that I am superior to him and completely making him out to be a bad guy. Because I am not any better than him or less guilty of it.

    And you're the one "talking to air"?

  24. #24
    The gay gargoyle
    G-Lexington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver CO
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    44,916
    Blog Entries
    21

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    It's called "sticking it to the man". It's both free entertainment AND being edgy.

    Lex

  25. #25

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    So Lex... you come across as kinda being in the (roughly) same "industry".

    Do you feel like people are stealing from you, personally, too?
    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic216959_1.gif

  26. #26
    Ruminating
    sixthson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    11,332
    Blog Entries
    15

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Stealing is stealing whether you steal from WalMart or the Mom and Pop store down the street. Sure, it hurts Mom and Pop more than a big corporation, but wrong is wrong.
    Everyone wants to be heard. No one wants to listen.

  27. #27
    I Run S.C. BFizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    2,407

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Finally, something me and the OP can agree on.

  28. #28
    loosingyourmind
    Guest

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Meh, I love buying cds when I actually LOVE the artist and know that its music has some cultural value.
    I'm definitely not buying some stupid catchy song just because it got stuck in my head.

  29. #29
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,602

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Confess something that might surprise others or damage your reputation on JUB - 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by sixthson View Post
    Stealing is stealing whether you steal from WalMart or the Mom and Pop store down the street. Sure, it hurts Mom and Pop more than a big corporation, but wrong is wrong.
    In fairness to everyone who participated in this discussion before the mods moved it to a new topic... not a single person said it wasn't stealing. The discussion was never about if it was or wasn't stealing.

  30. #30
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    10,514

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    You have a misapprehension of the word "illegal."

  31. #31

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    I think one big disconnect is, how do you put a price on something you SEE, and HEAR.

    Stealing an item, you can hold in your hand is a tangible object. Digital media though...?

    I can see putting a price on going to a theater or a concert. The "experience". "I was THERE."

    ... I grew up in an era when Radio and TV was FREE. Companies invented and sold Tape Recorders and VCR's and ENCOURAGED you to copy sight and sound for your own entertainment at your own convenience.

    Most everything ends up FREE on YouTube or on TV as it is anyway. How is it stealing when you can already get it for free?

    I'm not condoning pirating by any means... but I can see where (IMO) it seems like a grey area with no easy answers.
    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic216959_1.gif

  32. #32
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,602

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Quote Originally Posted by borg69unimatrix View Post
    I think one big disconnect is, how do you put a price on something you SEE, and HEAR.

    Stealing an item, you can hold in your hand is a tangible object. Digital media though...?

    I can see putting a price on going to a theater or a concert. The "experience". "I was THERE."

    ... I grew up in an era when Radio and TV was FREE. Companies invented and sold Tape Recorders and VCR's and ENCOURAGED you to copy sight and sound for your own entertainment at your own convenience.

    Most everything ends up FREE on YouTube or on TV as it is anyway. How is it stealing when you can already get it for free?

    I'm not condoning pirating by any means... but I can see where (IMO) it seems like a grey area with no easy answers.
    Yup I thought it made a lot more sense when it was more like "it's not illegal to have a copy of something off the radio/tv/whatever, but it is illegal to re-sell/re-distribute it."

    The reason things like itunes are so popular imho and speaking for a lot of people I know is... you can very reasonably get a copy of a song you want without being confronted with the highway robbery of "pay 20 bucks for a whole album out of which you really just want a 3 minute song you hear on the radio nonstop anyway."

  33. #33
    ecce homo rareboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    32,965

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Quote Originally Posted by refujiunderground View Post
    with that said, i download music, movies, porn, and damn near everything that i can get my hands on the internet for free. who wouldn't? just got my hands on some hand to find porn that i'd have to go over on a torrent for and DAMNIT, i'm happy.

    Moderator comment: The first 25 posts were split from the 'Confessions' thread to create this one.
    I just go in and shoplift the CD's, DVD's and everything I can get my hands on from the stores.

    Same thing isn't it?

  34. #34

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    something that costs absolutely nothing to produce and distribute ,that should be reflected in the price . 2. Copying something is not stealing it . 3. It has occurred to me that by treating as theft what is a purely civil loss the government has GUARANTEED that not one penny in compensation will ever be paid to the industry . Not a penny . 4 . I need libraries . Very directly like most of the world either something is free or I do not read it, see that movie , hear that song . I am very disabled and have nothing extra and I have trouble paying food and rent .
    Last edited by csb999; January 11th, 2013 at 02:25 PM.

  35. #35
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    10,514

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Quote Originally Posted by rareboy View Post
    I just go in and shoplift the CD's, DVD's and everything I can get my hands on from the stores.

    Same thing isn't it?
    I do that with groceries at the supermarket. Just wheel the cart out the door.

  36. #36
    Keeland
    Guest

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Quote Originally Posted by palbert View Post
    I do that with groceries at the supermarket. Just wheel the cart out the door.
    Me too. I once backed an empy semi-trailer up to a concert hall and stole an entire symphony orchestra.

  37. #37

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    you are STEALING nothing ever . The word is COPYING . The whole point of shoplifting or theft is something must be taken nothing every is . Ever . The crime is infringing legal rights of an individual not removing an object . Not a single thing is ever reduced ever .
    Last edited by csb999; January 11th, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

  38. #38
    Kien
    Guest

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Let's criminalize youtube'ers who put songs on repeat cause they aint paying a single cent either.

  39. #39
    I spell spelled spelt
    gsdx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Peterborough Ontario
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    34,211
    Blog Entries
    26

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Quote Originally Posted by palbert View Post
    You have a misapprehension of the word "illegal."
    I've been going through the posts to see if anyone else had picked up on this word. 'Illegal' means 'not legal'. What is legal about illegal behaviour? Theft is theft. Just because 'everybody' does it doesn't mean it's right.

  40. #40

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    watching tv is illegally downloading . Do try to forget , have some respect for your legal system .

  41. #41

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Theft or stealing implies taking something . You are never taking a single thing .

  42. #42
    The old familiar sting blackbeltninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cape Town; the arse-end of the Dark Continent
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    9,694
    Blog Entries
    17

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    This is a messy topic. Stealing is wrong, sure.

    But so is the annoying practice of releasing half an item and expecting people to go find the other half a la "if you buy this disc, you get an online code to use for rare material." And then you buy the disc, and after a while, the online material is removed and the links go dead. Or the famous "sorry, this is not available for viewers outside the US." I still paid extra for the disc with the bonus material, and now I can't use it? Fuck you, studio moguls - once bitten, twice shy. I've made the effort to get the stuff legally, and I'm not going to jump through more hoops to enjoy it. I wouldn't put up with this kind of service from a retailer or restaurant; why on earth do you think I'll put up with it from you?

    Games in particular - you buy the software, and then when it installs it tells you that it needs a massive patch downloaded before you can use it. We're not all on super-fast 40mbps lines with limitless data, actually; some of us would end up paying 2-3x the cost of the software in the first place to download the patch which makes it work. I understand this is an antipiracy measure, but hey - I didn't pirate the material; I bought it and I object to having to download 4gigs of additional fixing which will take days to come down (literally; our interwebs are not fast in the 3rd world) and cost a ton of extra money. I bought the fucking thing and I expect to be able to use it out of the box. When I buy a car, I don't have to wait for the wheels to arrive afterwards. It should be ready to go because THAT'S WHAT I PAID FOR.

    So fuck you too, gaming houses, you're screwing over the wrong people and so I'm not buying the games anymore. I am playing them though... yay for piracy!

    Short version: these industries need to rethink their strategies, and quit biting the hands that feed them. I got tired of being the sap who paid the money and was forced to put up with the bullshit, so now I just don't. Those of you who make a living out of it and who are now starving because I refuse to get screwed over... sorry. But hey - put some pressure on your employers for me and I'll happily revert to being a paying customer.

    -d-
    Members: [insert appropriate/relevant wise saying or deep thought here]
    Thank you.


    I hope you get this message.
    Comments welcome.

  43. #43
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,602

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kien View Post
    Let's criminalize youtube'ers who put songs on repeat cause they aint paying a single cent either.
    Yup to me that really begs the question:

    what is the difference between saving an .mp3 of a song on youtube vs. bookmarking a youtube of a song and pulling it up whenever you want to hear it?

    So far in this discussion-- doing the first is stealing and horribly wrong. Yet I see no difference between it and the 2nd.

  44. #44
    loosingyourmind
    Guest

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Wait a sec, but I need to get this straight. Don't artists have contracts with the record studios? They earn money anyways, not depending on the sells their cd make, right? So downloading music is not affecting artists in the slightest.
    Plus internet makes you x100 times more popular, people like Justin Bieber and One Direction wouldn't even be that famous without illegal downloading.

  45. #45
    JUB 10k Club
    PreTTy PeTe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    28,293

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    I only stream but never download movies.

    is that stealing?

    *runs away before stacy bitch slaps him hard*




  46. #46
    JUB Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Widower
    Posts
    9,579

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    If it's stealing when you copy a movie, is it giving something back if you accidentally break the dvd-r you it recorded on?

  47. #47
    The old familiar sting blackbeltninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cape Town; the arse-end of the Dark Continent
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    9,694
    Blog Entries
    17

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Quote Originally Posted by loosingyourmind View Post
    Wait a sec, but I need to get this straight. Don't artists have contracts with the record studios? They earn money anyways, not depending on the sells their cd make, right? So downloading music is not affecting artists in the slightest.
    Plus internet makes you x100 times more popular, people like Justin Bieber and One Direction wouldn't even be that famous without illegal downloading.
    They get royalties, eventually. A fee for the recording, which varies depending on how popular you are - not everyone becomes an overnight insta150millionaire like Bieber, that's for sure - and then a percentage of sales. I presume once you get to the U2/Metallica/Stones level of respect, that initial fee is quite substantial.

    Likewise with books - I read somewhere that unless the first few books are multimillion-copy uber-bestsellers, most regularly-publishing authors don't start earning an appreciable amount from writing until about book number four or five gets published.

    So the more copies of either the book or the album sold, the more bonus for the artist or author.

    -d-
    Members: [insert appropriate/relevant wise saying or deep thought here]
    Thank you.


    I hope you get this message.
    Comments welcome.

  48. #48
    JUB Addict Audio Tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    2,012

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackbeltninja View Post
    This is a messy topic. Stealing is wrong, sure.

    But so is the annoying practice of releasing half an item and expecting people to go find the other half a la "if you buy this disc, you get an online code to use for rare material." And then you buy the disc, and after a while, the online material is removed and the links go dead. Or the famous "sorry, this is not available for viewers outside the US." I still paid extra for the disc with the bonus material, and now I can't use it? Fuck you, studio moguls - once bitten, twice shy. I've made the effort to get the stuff legally, and I'm not going to jump through more hoops to enjoy it. I wouldn't put up with this kind of service from a retailer or restaurant; why on earth do you think I'll put up with it from you?

    Games in particular - you buy the software, and then when it installs it tells you that it needs a massive patch downloaded before you can use it. We're not all on super-fast 40mbps lines with limitless data, actually; some of us would end up paying 2-3x the cost of the software in the first place to download the patch which makes it work. I understand this is an antipiracy measure, but hey - I didn't pirate the material; I bought it and I object to having to download 4gigs of additional fixing which will take days to come down (literally; our interwebs are not fast in the 3rd world) and cost a ton of extra money. I bought the fucking thing and I expect to be able to use it out of the box. When I buy a car, I don't have to wait for the wheels to arrive afterwards. It should be ready to go because THAT'S WHAT I PAID FOR.

    So fuck you too, gaming houses, you're screwing over the wrong people and so I'm not buying the games anymore. I am playing them though... yay for piracy!

    Short version: these industries need to rethink their strategies, and quit biting the hands that feed them. I got tired of being the sap who paid the money and was forced to put up with the bullshit, so now I just don't. Those of you who make a living out of it and who are now starving because I refuse to get screwed over... sorry. But hey - put some pressure on your employers for me and I'll happily revert to being a paying customer.

    -d-
    I sorta agree with this post. I am so sick and tired of buying something only to discover AFTER I open the package that I need patches, firmware downloads (bluray), get a root kit (thanks, SONY), Install an entire 400 gig game on my fast ass computer only to have it crippled and crashed by copy protection schemes that demand to read the DVD every 8 seconds, etc.
    Then my movie experience is ruined in my own house because Disney and others FORCE me to sit through half an hour of garbage before I am "Allowed" to see the movie I bought and paid for. And that's ONLY if my device is deemed worthy, hooked up to the internet and has successfully downloaded it's latest crippleware. All these companies KNOW this because there are no returns on crap media!

    I still buy content, because I want the full bit quality of the original. But I rip ALL of it to my server so I can actually PAINLESSLY USE IT. I support indie producers and the like, but this big corporate BS with countless DRM and copy protection has gotten out of hand for the HONEST consumer. It is literally FASTER and simpler to rip content in order to actually use it. SO while I DO indeed buy my content, the content providers have made me a pirate just so I can USE what I bought without their fingers and malware in my business.

    Nowadays I don't buy a damn thing until I find out for certain what copy protection it has on it, does it require on-line activation, does it require for the original to remain in the drive. And if I can circumvent ALL of that. I want to purchase something and just PLAY it, and in the case of PC games... install it and put the original on the shelf.

    So that's another side of big content and why it's less hassle to pirate some things than to own them legally. Content providers need to re-think these BS strategies. Even Apple has proven that more people BUY DRM free music than all this encrypted garbage.

    I watch Doctor Who on BBC. I pay for cable. But I download the episode anyway (illegally) just so I can enjoy it without commercials..... but most of all without that F***ing Logo and various ads on my screen!

    And the more annoying they get, the more I'll just download what I want. THANKS, Big Content! It may not be right, but neither are YOU!

  49. #49
    I spell spelled spelt
    gsdx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Peterborough Ontario
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    34,211
    Blog Entries
    26

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackbeltninja View Post
    Games in particular - you buy the software, and then when it installs it tells you that it needs a massive patch downloaded before you can use it.
    My roommate bought Diablo 3 last summer. He still hasn't been able to install it.

  50. #50
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,602

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Am I the only guy that doesn't see anything wrong with illegal downloading?

    Quote Originally Posted by gsdx View Post
    My roommate bought Diablo 3 last summer. He still hasn't been able to install it.
    Did he keep his receipt? It's a terrible game anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About JustUsBoys.com | Site Map | RSS | Webmasters | Advertise | Link to JUB | Report A Bug on this Page

Visit our sister sites: Broke Straight Boys | CollegeDudes.com | CollegeBoyPhysicals.com | RocketTube
All models appearing on JustUsBoys.com were over 18 at the time of photography. The records for sexually explicit images required by U.S. 2257 are kept by the
individual producers of the images. The location of the records is available by clicking the Custodian of Records link at the bottom of each gallery page.
© 2012 JustUsBoys.com. The JustUsBoys.com name and logo are registered trademarks. Labeled with ICRA and RTA. Member of ASACP and The Free Speech Coalition.