JustUsBoys.com gay porn forum

logo

remove these banner ads by becoming a JUB Supporter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 75
  1. #1
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    10,479

    Code of Conduct

    Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/m...-politics.html

    The Republican Main Street Partnership, a Washington-based group that has promoted moderate GOP lawmakers and policies, will remove the word "Republican" from its title and welcome center-right Democrats in 2013, Yahoo News has learned.

    The organization's board of directors voted Tuesday morning to scrap party identification from its title and be known simply as "The Main Street Partnership." The group's new president, former Ohio Republican Rep. Steven LaTourette, told Yahoo News that he plans to begin conversations with Blue Dog Democrats and centrist groups in the coming months.

    "The goal is to try and fill the void that is the middle," LaTourette, who resigned from Congress this year, said. "The American political system is like a doughnut: You've got sides, but you don't have anything in the middle, and it would be my goal to work with Republicans and Democrats who want to find the path forward to getting things done and compromise."
    To me, very welcome news. Maybe it will break the logjam.

    Particularly where the Tea Party has declared war on Repubs voting with Obama on the fiscal ckiff.

  2. #2
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    10,479

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Further to the above see White Eagle's thread on the John Birch Society:

    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/thre...=1#post8617963

  3. #3
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,522

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    I would love to see this happen, but this same split between "moderate Republicans" and "fringe crazy" was also predicted towards the end of George W. Bush as people were beginning to distance themselves from his Presidency, and all it ever seemed like happened was that the Tea Party sorta parasitically grafted itself into the mainstream party.

  4. #4
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    10,479

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    xbuzzerx: I think the divisions are now so great and the animosity so entrenced that we indeed for a time may see 3 parties: Dems, Main Street, and Tea Party Repubs. I am not saying it will get us through the next election cycle, but if it gets something done in this Congress we're probably ahead.

  5. #5
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,522

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by palbert View Post
    xbuzzerx: I think the divisions are now so great and the animosity so entrenced that we indeed for a time may see 3 parties: Dems, Main Street, and Tea Party Repubs. I am not saying it will get us through the next election cycle, but if it gets something done in this Congress we're probably ahead.
    I don't disagree that those splits are there and I would LOVE to see it actually manifest in voting/election habits. I just have the cynical outlook that no matter how much Republicans claim to be dissatisfied with where their party is going or how much they disagree with elements of its platform... I want to wait and see them actually change how they vote before I presume they're capable of it. I think they're far less capable of it than progressives.

  6. #6
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    10,479

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    The Northeastern (formerly Rockefeller) Republicans are in a very tight spot and need to make common cause with some power group. Witness Maine's Snowe/Collins generally working across the aisle.

  7. #7
    ecce homo rareboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    32,942

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats



    puff. pant....wheeze...

    Will they make it in time? Before the Tea Party blows the bridge up?
    Last edited by rareboy; January 8th, 2013 at 03:39 PM.

  8. #8
    GiancarloC
    Guest

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    They should realize the democratic party is widely a centrist party where they would be welcomed. Maybe even a tad bit right of center. The republicans are so far off in loonyville right now. I'm just sitting back and watching the drama unfold with the republican party turning in on itself. Everyone is turning on each other in that party like a bunch of rabid animals, and the rational minds that were still remaining packed their bags.

    The republicans have fallen below 30% of the voting electorate and I predict this trend will continue. Infighting and dissertations doesn't paint a nice picture for their future.

  9. #9
    JUB Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    7,142

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by GiancarloC View Post
    They should realize the democratic party is widely a centrist party where they would be welcomed. Maybe even a tad bit right of center. The republicans are so far off in loonyville right now. I'm just sitting back and watching the drama unfold with the republican party turning in on itself. Everyone is turning on each other in that party like a bunch of rabid animals, and the rational minds that were still remaining packed their bags.

    The republicans have fallen below 30% of the voting electorate and I predict this trend will continue. Infighting and dissertations doesn't paint a nice picture for their future.
    They would never join the democratic party because, even if they are moderate, they still vehemently disagree with their tax policy.

    The big difference is that instead of holding everyone hostage over those beliefs, they're willing to compromise.

  10. #10
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,522

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
    They would never join the democratic party because, even if they are moderate, they still vehemently disagree with their tax policy.

    The big difference is that instead of holding everyone hostage over those beliefs, they're willing to compromise.
    Nutball conservatives who still believe in Reagonomics are certainly covered by what you say, yes. But in that case you're talking about the koolaid drinkers who are far enough to the extreme end of ill-informed ideology that they'd never change how they vote no matter what.

    There are plenty of Republicans however who began to distance themselves from the title during and since W Bush, and really only vote GOP on one or two issues and don't even try to defend the rest of the platform. The Republicans I know who don't give a hoot about gay people or abortion far outnumber the ones who religiously make sure to vote because those issues are important. Likewise I know people who don't even have much of an opinion on economics or taxation but vote GOP on only one issue-- say guns.

  11. #11
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    10,479

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
    They would never join the democratic party because, even if they are moderate, they still vehemently disagree with their tax policy.

    The big difference is that instead of holding everyone hostage over those beliefs, they're willing to compromise.
    And given what we've got now, that is the hope of progress.

  12. #12

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Anywhere for us center-left Democrats and Progressives?

  13. #13
    GiancarloC
    Guest

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
    They would never join the democratic party because, even if they are moderate, they still vehemently disagree with their tax policy.

    The big difference is that instead of holding everyone hostage over those beliefs, they're willing to compromise.
    I'm not talking about the tea party republicans. I'm talking about the moderates who are indeed joining the democrats as mentioned in the OP. So no, you're mistaken. And they whemently disagree with the democrats tax policy? Is that so? I don't see that at all. Most moderates back the tax plan of the democrats.

  14. #14
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,522

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    That was my thought. Since when are Tea Party / Reaganomics people "moderates"? lol.

    If you still believe in something despite 20~ years of proof that it doesn't work you don't qualify as much of a moderate.

  15. #15
    GiancarloC
    Guest

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by xbuzzerx View Post
    That was my thought. Since when are Tea Party / Reaganomics people "moderates"? lol.
    Tea party republicans qualify as moderates for some right wingers. Lol pretty disturbing.

  16. #16

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    The main focus of the Tea Party is to control government spending and taxes. Only liberals could make that an extreme position.

    I don't see many republicans leaving the party. There is usually some back-and-forth movement between parties --- it's happened for years and will probably happen in the future.

  17. #17
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,522

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Springer View Post
    The main focus of the Tea Party is to control government spending and taxes. Only liberals could make that an extreme position.

    I don't see many republicans leaving the party. There is usually some back-and-forth movement between parties --- it's happened for years and will probably happen in the future.
    I think "controlling government spending and taxes" is something you could probably get a majority of all Americans to heartily endorse in a poll. You leave out the fact that what makes the Tea Party fringe is the ideology driving their vision of what that means.

    "Do it all yourself and stop whining" hardly represents the totality of "people who want to reasonably control spending and taxing."

  18. #18
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    10,479

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Jack, we need a reasoning middle -- words unfamiliar to you -- to make this government work. If the far right and far left are dissatisfied,well, I measure that as success.

  19. #19
    JubberClubber White Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Widower
    Posts
    10,855

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by palbert View Post
    Further to the above see White Eagle's thread on the John Birch Society:

    http://www.justusboys.com/forum/thre...=1#post8617963
    Thank you. I don't think I've ever had anyone cite a thread of mine. Life gets better don't it?
    BEWARE! Harassing the Indian may result in sudden and severe hair loss.

  20. #20
    Rambunctiously Pugnacious JayHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    River Quay - KC
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    24,238

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    I think any coalition of adults looking for agreeable compromises in our congress should be applauded and encouraged. It would be worthwhile to email or tweet encouragement to lawmakers that become affiliated. What we need is stability, compromise and decisive leadership from our congress. Not petty bickering that results in nothing but headlines for news networks.
    Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve.
    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


  21. #21
    GiancarloC
    Guest

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Springer View Post
    The main focus of the Tea Party is to control government spending and taxes. Only liberals could make that an extreme position.
    Lol no it's not. The main focus of the tea party is to send the country back into a recession by implementing idiotic austerity measures.

  22. #22
    JUB Addict
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,018

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    My uncle who was a highly educated guy with a doctorate---used to tell me American needs a more Parliamentary type gov, which made no sense to me at the time--but now I see our system is so dysfunctional that if we had a few more parties---the sane parties could govern by excluding the lunatics---this sorta happened when the Dems and the few semi-sane GOP congressman came together to avoid the fiscal cliff---but generally the lock step GOPers vote in lock step.

  23. #23
    auribus teneo lupum Stardreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Over the Hedge and Under the Hill
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    3,192

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Springer View Post
    The main focus of the Tea Party is to control government spending and taxes. Only liberals could make that an extreme position.

    I don't see many republicans leaving the party. There is usually some back-and-forth movement between parties --- it's happened for years and will probably happen in the future.
    The fiscal conservative basis of the Tea Party is not extreme but unfortunately the grass roots manner in which it was formed resulted in a lot of extremist elements of the far right joining it and having far too much influence unfortunately which has ruined its effectiveness and purpose. It has also pursued its goals in an extremist manner allowing for no compromise which quite frankly simply doesn't work in the long run as compromise and negotiation is the heart of accomplishing things politically.
    Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right. H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)

  24. #24
    auribus teneo lupum Stardreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Over the Hedge and Under the Hill
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    3,192

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by JayHawk View Post
    I think any coalition of adults looking for agreeable compromises in our congress should be applauded and encouraged. It would be worthwhile to email or tweet encouragement to lawmakers that become affiliated. What we need is stability, compromise and decisive leadership from our congress. Not petty bickering that results in nothing but headlines for news networks.
    I'm sort of confused as I read the OP and it comes across not as Republicans leaving to join the Democrats but a group of moderate conservatives inviting moderate Democrats (blue dogs) to join them. If anything they are rejecting BOTH parties.
    Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right. H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)

  25. #25
    JUB Addict maxpowr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,839
    Blog Entries
    3

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardreamer View Post
    I'm sort of confused as I read the OP and it comes across not as Republicans leaving to join the Democrats but a group of moderate conservatives inviting moderate Democrats (blue dogs) to join them. If anything they are rejecting BOTH parties.
    That's how I read it also. Breaking party lines is what is needed.

  26. #26

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by xbuzzerx View Post
    I think "controlling government spending and taxes" is something you could probably get a majority of all Americans to heartily endorse in a poll. You leave out the fact that what makes the Tea Party fringe is the ideology driving their vision of what that means.

    "Do it all yourself and stop whining" hardly represents the totality of "people who want to reasonably control spending and taxing."
    What fringe of the Tea Party. They have extremely tame functions and include both republicans and democrats and minorities in their group. They were demonized by the far left because the tea party wanted to talk about fiscal responsibility -- a hostile topic for many.

  27. #27

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by palbert View Post
    Jack, we need a reasoning middle -- words unfamiliar to you -- to make this government work. If the far right and far left are dissatisfied,well, I measure that as success.
    I believe in a reasonable middle. There are extremes on both sides. I'm not against raising taxes where there is a need, but I'm not for raising taxes just to raise taxes, there has to be some restraint on controlling waste and uncontrolled spending.

    There shouldn't be anything like baseline budgeting. It's time to be honest, we're in serious trouble and something needs to be done.

    Republicans gave in on raising taxes, now it time to cut spending.

  28. #28
    JUB Addict chrisrobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    8,158

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by maxpowr9 View Post
    That's how I read it also. Breaking party lines is what is needed.
    Exactly!



    This is Everett M. Dirken, the favorite son of Pekin, Illinois. The federal building in downtown Chicago is named after him. He was very conservative (like Barry Goldwater) but he had the decency to "reach across the aisle" and vote in favor of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If he could see how the so-called Republicans of 2013 are behaving, he would be apalled.

    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

  29. #29
    JUB Addict chrisrobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    8,158

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by palbert View Post
    The Northeastern (formerly Rockefeller) Republicans are in a very tight spot and need to make common cause with some power group. Witness Maine's Snowe/Collins generally working across the aisle.
    However, Ms. Snowe has retired. Probably couldn't stand the current madness of today's Republicans.

    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

  30. #30
    GiancarloC
    Guest

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Springer View Post
    I believe in a reasonable middle. There are extremes on both sides. I'm not against raising taxes where there is a need, but I'm not for raising taxes just to raise taxes, there has to be some restraint on controlling waste and uncontrolled spending.

    There shouldn't be anything like baseline budgeting. It's time to be honest, we're in serious trouble and something needs to be done.

    Republicans gave in on raising taxes, now it time to cut spending.
    That isn't the reasoning of the middle. The moderates understand austerity is a massive failure in most countries, and the tea party nuts believe in extreme austerity. It's no joke. Engaging in austerity, as some of the right wingers here want, would only push this country back into recession.

  31. #31
    FEAR THE LIBERAL DETENTE! TX-Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,322

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    If the Tea baggers and their lunatic fringe were actually serious about cutting spending, they wouldn't be bitching about social security which isn't the problem they'd be bitching about the fat, huge, pork stuffed albatross on our backs that the Defense Department has become - Homeland security second - but NOOOOOO we must cut ONLY THINGS that offend their RELIGIO-POLITACL Neo-Fascist agenda.

    Fiscal conservatives my ass - HA! conservatives my as.

    Radical Jeebus Taliban? Table for two!
    ATTACK OF THE LIBERAL ELITE

  32. #32
    JUB Addict maxpowr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,839
    Blog Entries
    3

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrobin View Post
    However, Ms. Snowe has retired. Probably couldn't stand the current madness of today's Republicans.
    Should add it's the same reason that Scott Brown lost his reelection.

    There are still some sensible Rs up in the New England area (I've worked with several and are friends with a few too) but the brand itself is a tough sell.

  33. #33
    JUB Addict Sausy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    21,026
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardreamer View Post
    I'm sort of confused as I read the OP and it comes across not as Republicans leaving to join the Democrats but a group of moderate conservatives inviting moderate Democrats (blue dogs) to join them. If anything they are rejecting BOTH parties.
    I'd join them in a heartbeat..Democrats centrist? There is still a strong centrist core among the Democrats but the party itself in its base is pulling leftward and has for awhile now. Just not quite at the pace the Republicans have veered sharply to the far right and almost have seen their moderate wing annihilated altogether.

    Around 40% of the electorate are centrist and oppose mandates from the right and left...with the major parties dramatically shifting towards ideological opposites increasingly unwilling to form consensus wherever possible, a truly centrist party is needed to keep functional representation possible in Washington. At one time third party reform movements were co-opted by one or the other of the major parties but with the ideologues in both parties unwilling to deal with the other side, a real chance to break the 150 year old stranglehold of the GOP and the Democrats really seems at least not outside the realm of possibility.
    unofficial official mini meet Friday- Saturday April 11-12, 2014

  34. #34
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,522

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Springer View Post
    What fringe of the Tea Party. They have extremely tame functions and include both republicans and democrats and minorities in their group. They were demonized by the far left because the tea party wanted to talk about fiscal responsibility -- a hostile topic for many.
    Actually I believe they were far more demonized when they became a magnet for racists and white supremists and all kinds of extreme radical far-right angry constituencies and started making headlines because of racial epithets and similar. And when they did not clearly and loudly denounce and push that element out, the demonization was right.

  35. #35
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,522

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausy View Post
    I'd join them in a heartbeat..Democrats centrist? There is still a strong centrist core among the Democrats but the party itself in its base is pulling leftward and has for awhile now. Just not quite at the pace the Republicans have veered sharply to the far right and almost have seen their moderate wing annihilated altogether.

    Around 40% of the electorate are centrist and oppose mandates from the right and left...with the major parties dramatically shifting towards ideological opposites increasingly unwilling to form consensus wherever possible, a truly centrist party is needed to keep functional representation possible in Washington. At one time third party reform movements were co-opted by one or the other of the major parties but with the ideologues in both parties unwilling to deal with the other side, a real chance to break the 150 year old stranglehold of the GOP and the Democrats really seems at least not outside the realm of possibility.
    How exactly have the dems become "more left?" If we go through all the large bureaucratic expansions in government over the last couple decades most of them in size, scope and cost are Republican in origin.

  36. #36
    GiancarloC
    Guest

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausy View Post
    I'd join them in a heartbeat..Democrats centrist? There is still a strong centrist core among the Democrats but the party itself in its base is pulling leftward and has for awhile now. Just not quite at the pace the Republicans have veered sharply to the far right and almost have seen their moderate wing annihilated altogether.
    How is that the case? How is the party being pulled leftward? No it's not. It's a right of center party moving a little more towards the center. The republicans are so far off to the right they are now in the loonybin. There is no real left wing party in the country... at least not one that garners more than 0.5% of the vote.

    Around 40% of the electorate are centrist and oppose mandates from the right and left...with the major parties dramatically shifting towards ideological opposites increasingly unwilling to form consensus wherever possible, a truly centrist party is needed to keep functional representation possible in Washington. At one time third party reform movements were co-opted by one or the other of the major parties but with the ideologues in both parties unwilling to deal with the other side, a real chance to break the 150 year old stranglehold of the GOP and the Democrats really seems at least not outside the realm of possibility.
    Why on earth would the democrats move to the left? They haven't and are taking advantage of the situation. And lets stop the faux centrist talk please... I've heard that plenty of times.

  37. #37

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausy View Post
    I'd join them in a heartbeat..Democrats centrist? There is still a strong centrist core among the Democrats but the party itself in its base is pulling leftward and has for awhile now. Just not quite at the pace the Republicans have veered sharply to the far right and almost have seen their moderate wing annihilated altogether.

    Around 40% of the electorate are centrist and oppose mandates from the right and left...with the major parties dramatically shifting towards ideological opposites increasingly unwilling to form consensus wherever possible, a truly centrist party is needed to keep functional representation possible in Washington. At one time third party reform movements were co-opted by one or the other of the major parties but with the ideologues in both parties unwilling to deal with the other side, a real chance to break the 150 year old stranglehold of the GOP and the Democrats really seems at least not outside the realm of possibility.
    I think it was Mark Shields on the PBS News Hour the other night who said that Americans want all the social programs, they just don't want to pay the taxes to fund them. That's about it in a nutshell.

    I think if the economy was on sounder footing and more Americans felt economically secure, they would be less worked up about taxes.

  38. #38
    Rambunctiously Pugnacious JayHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    River Quay - KC
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    24,238

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardreamer View Post
    I'm sort of confused as I read the OP and it comes across not as Republicans leaving to join the Democrats but a group of moderate conservatives inviting moderate Democrats (blue dogs) to join them. If anything they are rejecting BOTH parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpowr9 View Post
    That's how I read it also. Breaking party lines is what is needed.
    Which goes along the a coalition of adults acting on behalf of the nation. But it is interesting that while I was simply talking cooperation and not identifying a party you felt the petty bickering must refer to republicans.
    Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve.
    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


  39. #39
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,522

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by JayHawk View Post
    Which goes along the a coalition of adults acting on behalf of the nation. But it is interesting that while I was simply talking cooperation and not identifying a party you felt the petty bickering must refer to republicans.
    Yup. That's really where we're stuck. When the working definition of compromise is far too close to "surrendering and showing political weakness", meaningful moving forward isn't possible.

  40. #40
    auribus teneo lupum Stardreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Over the Hedge and Under the Hill
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married
    Posts
    3,192

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by JayHawk View Post
    Which goes along the a coalition of adults acting on behalf of the nation. But it is interesting that while I was simply talking cooperation and not identifying a party you felt the petty bickering must refer to republicans.
    I likely made a mistake replying with quotes to your post as I was mostly in agreement with it. Apologies.

    My confusion stems from the thread as a whole up to that point and the thread subject which seems to be saying that these are Republicans leaving the party and joining the Democrats when that does not seem to be whats happening at all but rather a group of conservative moderates expanding their group's tent to liberal moderates by removing party association from their name. The type of across the aisle cooperation we need.
    Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right. H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)

  41. #41
    JUB Addict chrisrobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    8,158

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by palemale View Post
    Americans Neocons want all the social military programs, they just don't want to pay the taxes to fund them. That's about it in a nutshell.
    ............
    Our military involvement in Afghanistan costs the U.S. $2 billion a week.

    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

  42. #42
    GiancarloC
    Guest

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrobin View Post
    ............
    Our military involvement in Afghanistan costs the U.S. $2 billion a week.
    It didn't work for the Russians, and it won't work for us. So it's time to cut our losses and leave. The Afghan military can fend for itself.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20708548

    Meanwhile get our cut for spending so much... the Chinese are already getting contracts for their enormous mines... $1 trillion in wealth exists in its mines, perhaps more.

  43. #43
    JUB Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    7,142

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by GiancarloC View Post
    I'm not talking about the tea party republicans. I'm talking about the moderates who are indeed joining the democrats as mentioned in the OP. So no, you're mistaken. And they whemently disagree with the democrats tax policy? Is that so? I don't see that at all. Most moderates back the tax plan of the democrats.
    I'm not either. And no, I'm not mistaken.

  44. #44
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,522

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
    I'm not either. And no, I'm not mistaken.
    So moderate Republicans agree with the Tea Party? lol.

  45. #45
    GiancarloC
    Guest

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
    I'm not either. And no, I'm not mistaken.
    Lulz. The point was totally wrong. Sorry.

    Most Americans agree with the democrats on both domestic and foreign matters, and definitely on the tax plans.

  46. #46
    ecce homo rareboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    32,942

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Advice to moderate republicans?



    I would reiterate though that the best solution is for moderates to take their conservative party back.

    Marginalize the crazy and far right instead of allowing it to dictate the entire agenda.
    Last edited by rareboy; January 10th, 2013 at 05:16 AM.

  47. #47

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by GiancarloC View Post
    Lulz. The point was totally wrong. Sorry.

    Most Americans agree with the democrats on both domestic and foreign matters, and definitely on the tax plans.
    Do you really believe that? A slim majority might agree with the spin that dem's project in the media -- but the regular American does not want higher taxes, more regulation and intrusion into their daily lives by the government, or less protection as a country at home or abroad.

  48. #48
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,522

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Springer View Post
    Do you really believe that? A slim majority might agree with the spin that dem's project in the media -- but the regular American does not want higher taxes, more regulation and intrusion into their daily lives by the government, or less protection as a country at home or abroad.
    There just isn't any reasonable cause to support this. Everytime nutball conservatives prompted by Tea Party sentimentality have tried to attack the things you're saying "regular Americans don't like", like Social Security, the American public has laid the smackdown hard. They do want these things. No matter how much the far right convinces itself that its laissez faire small government ideology actually represents most of "real america" out there.

  49. #49

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    ^^
    You're saying that Americans want to be taxed at a high rate, want the government to interfere more in their personal lives, and want the US Military reduced to a minimal state where national security is in jeopardy.

  50. #50
    Rambunctiously Pugnacious JayHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    River Quay - KC
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    24,238

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Moderate Republicans Begin Move Away From Party, Toward Democrats

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardreamer View Post
    I likely made a mistake replying with quotes to your post as I was mostly in agreement with it. Apologies.

    My confusion stems from the thread as a whole up to that point and the thread subject which seems to be saying that these are Republicans leaving the party and joining the Democrats when that does not seem to be whats happening at all but rather a group of conservative moderates expanding their group's tent to liberal moderates by removing party association from their name. The type of across the aisle cooperation we need.
    No Problem. As you can see by reading the posts since -- discourse on either rabid side has a long way to go.

    Interesting concept but the Republican party is lost in the wilderness when it comes to foreign policy and therefore national security. I read a piece recently in Foreign Policy discussing the nature of Romney's last debate performance. He simply said he would be extra double what Obama was saying because he had no foreign policy. His staff consisted of a few Bush retread Neocons and a world view that exists in that era of Reagan where Russia is our greatest enemy. If that is what the Republican party has to offer then they have a LONG trip through the wilderness ahead of them. National Security IS their kingdom since Carter. Yet Clinton's eight years giving mid-level democratic appointees the ability to rise up in the National Security realm coupled with Bush's Neocons invalidating their "expertise" through so many miscalculations and now you have another eight years of Democrats rising through the ranks.

    Anyways I am way off topic. Suffice to say the republicans that run to the middle and get things done will be rewarded while the folks who stake a stark and ignorant fight against even handed gun restrictions will be routed in 2014. Americans want to grow the economy and have healthcare paid for by the government. They will not reward republicans who obstruct that process.
    Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve.
    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About JustUsBoys.com | Site Map | RSS | Webmasters | Advertise | Link to JUB | Report A Bug on this Page

Visit our sister sites: Broke Straight Boys | CollegeDudes.com | CollegeBoyPhysicals.com | RocketTube
All models appearing on JustUsBoys.com were over 18 at the time of photography. The records for sexually explicit images required by U.S. 2257 are kept by the
individual producers of the images. The location of the records is available by clicking the Custodian of Records link at the bottom of each gallery page.
© 2012 JustUsBoys.com. The JustUsBoys.com name and logo are registered trademarks. Labeled with ICRA and RTA. Member of ASACP and The Free Speech Coalition.