JustUsBoys.com gay porn forum

logo

remove these banner ads by becoming a JUB Supporter.

Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    PerScientiam AdJustitiam bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Beware the deepity.
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    16,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Having grown up in a time with an unprecedented overthrowing of dictatorial regimes and watching in satisfied awe as countries have replaced them with open governments, I have been struck by one paradoxical effect of freedom:back in the days of apartheid or the iron curtain, if you were part of the resistance to those regimes, you had ideas worth dying for. That has a way of focussing the mind on producing good ideas. But in free societies, the cost of an opinion is exactly nothing. And I see that often you get what you pay for.

    People come to think that if all opinions are equal, then their opinion must be right. Knowledge suffers. People stop looking for a better way or the best way; politics becomes a negotiation designed to give people as much of their own opinion as possible, and people lose the skill of argument as the relevance of changing one's mind approaches zero.

    I think this is a self-limiting effect of freedom, and I wonder if there are others.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte. And Joseph Wilcox.

  2. #2
    Execuvette Rolyo85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Boystown, Chicago
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    8,924

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Of course there are. And a similar thing could be said of LGBTs building a lot more backbone when they have to fight for coming out. But the price for those better qualities or in your case - those stronger ideas - is too steep.
    That we are capable only of being what we are, remains our unforgivable sin.
    - Gene Wolfe

  3. #3
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    11,109

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    @Bankside:

    Isn't the fallacy/tragedy of the commons a result:

    The "tragedy of the commons" is a situation where rational action by individuals to improve individual performance results in destroying the ability of the whole system to perform. And as system performance is degraded, it also degrades individual performance. When confronted with a situation that cannot be addressed at the individual level, but requires a collective solution, libertarians are in denial.
    http://www.exponentialimprovement.co...sfallacy.shtml

    Overfishing is a common example.
    Last edited by palbert; December 24th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.

  4. #4
    pro bonobo
    zoltanspawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    4,878
    Blog Entries
    8

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    I don't think the fallacy of equal opinions originates with liberty, but with equality.

    Repressive regimes like those under apartheid and behind the iron curtain aren't necessarily excellent producers of ideas; and when such societies revolt behind the banner of freedom, as in Iran or Egypt, sometimes its merely theocratic repression which follows on the heels of dictatorial repression.

    The problem must rather come from a confusion that because we ought to be treated equally by the law, and because we cherish the dignity of individuals without regard to gender or race (for example), then that same essential respect for equality must also apply to our ideas.
    “Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? It is because we are not the person involved.” ~ Mark Twain

  5. #5
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,993
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    A similar argument has been made about the wealth of societies in relation to freedom: when people first have freedom, they produce wealth effectively, because they are free to enjoy the fruits of their own work. As time passes, and the standard of living becomes comfortable for nearly all, the incentive to work hard diminishes, and the country starts losing the production of wealth.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  6. #6
    Coward92
    Guest

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    I think it is about learning. We all gather experiences over our course of life and that experience is converted into knowledge, skills, adaption etc.
    Now, humans have a way of choosing the easier, most comortable way, which requires the least effort.

    Ignoring the painful truth is one of theese ways. It basically prevents the person from development, but gives him a degree of comfort.
    Equality is all nice, but there are things in this world that are objective and there are facts. Those who ignore facts and basic truths are doomed to a lowely life.

  7. #7
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    11,109

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    @ Kulindahr: You make a Dagny Taggart/Howard Roark argument for self-ownership but isn't the fallacy of the commons the natural result? Something needs to harness the horses.

  8. #8
    PerScientiam AdJustitiam bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Beware the deepity.
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    16,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    The tragedy of the commons is more the triumph of selfishness isn't it?
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte. And Joseph Wilcox.

  9. #9
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,054
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    Having grown up in a time with an unprecedented overthrowing of dictatorial regimes and watching in satisfied awe as countries have replaced them with open governments, I have been struck by one paradoxical effect of freedom:back in the days of apartheid or the iron curtain, if you were part of the resistance to those regimes, you had ideas worth dying for. That has a way of focussing the mind on producing good ideas. But in free societies, the cost of an opinion is exactly nothing. And I see that often you get what you pay for.

    People come to think that if all opinions are equal, then their opinion must be right. Knowledge suffers. People stop looking for a better way or the best way; politics becomes a negotiation designed to give people as much of their own opinion as possible, and people lose the skill of argument as the relevance of changing one's mind approaches zero.

    I think this is a self-limiting effect of freedom, and I wonder if there are others.
    Hmmm..I've noticed that you left out what has been identified as "politically correct," or PC in our current vernacular.

    Where every opinion, view, perspective, should be allowed a voice regardless of how ignert, repulsive, or retarded that it might come across with anyone with half a brain.

    Now that's some "liberal schtick."

    It seems to me that there was a point in time where "free societies" welcomed views, opinions, perspectives, and dissertations that "elevated" a question such as the one that you have posed here.

    Instead it seams over the past 30 or so some odd years, especially here in America, not only can you be a MORON you can be a celebrity on a reality TV show. A celebrity without any known or discernible talent.

    Would that be considered a "self-limiting effect" of a Free Society?
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  10. #10
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    11,109

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    The tragedy of the commons is more the triumph of selfishness isn't it?
    But isn't selfishness at the base of "self-ownership?" What use would philanthropy -- other than selfish -- have?

  11. #11
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    11,109

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by centexfarmer View Post
    Hmmm..I've noticed that you left out what has been identified as "politically correct," or PC in our current vernacular. ....
    I do not think PC would obtain in a self-ownership society.

  12. #12
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,993
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by palbert View Post
    @ Kulindahr: You make a Dagny Taggart/Howard Roark argument for self-ownership but isn't the fallacy of the commons the natural result? Something needs to harness the horses.
    Self-ownership is self-evident; that Rand sort of grasped it isn't pertinent.

    Self-ownership is not, however, a foundation of any sort for the matter of property or ownership of resources, which is where the commons problem comes in. The problem of the commons is a problem of accountability, really, but it rests on the definition of property. Rand garbs onto the current view of private (real estate) property, which actually has no rational underpinnings; it depends on might-makes-right and nothing else (the business of making it one's property by making us of it works only when there is a limitless supply of real estate that anyone at all may go seize).

    The only rational way to claim that a person may own real estate is if there is an inherent right to real estate. But no such right can be derived from self-ownership, which leads to the conclusion that there is no such inherent right; thus, any system of real estate must be conceded to be artificial, i.e. constructed for convenience (which tends to mean the convenience of the powers that be).

    The question then is how to construct a system of ownership that recognizes the corollary of self-ownership we call "equality"; that is, one that treats everyone the same way. Since the entire notion of a person owning part of the earth is artificial, we can do this in almost any fashion, but if we want to do it in a way that recognizes that "all men are created equal", the simplest path is to say that all people actually own the entire planet not as individuals, but as a whole.

    This points to the fact that our whole system of nation-states is in effect an attempt to resolve the issue of the tragedy of the commons by force. Unfortunately, until actual honoring of human rights is universal, we're sort of stuck with that approach -- but within it, we can attempt to adjust the system of property to a more sound philosophical basis by shifting to ownership-of-the-whole -- which can be simply enough done.

    What is needed is a foundation which functions as the steward of all real estate and resources for all the citizens and legal residents of a country. All current property titles would become title-leases (TL), and all TL holders would begin paying an annual lease fee to the SF, the steward foundation. The practical expression of the right of ownership as actual ownership would be the quarterly payment to all citizens and legal residents of one share of the revenue from TLs. Note that government would also have to pay lease fees for all the offices, bases, and anything else (I imagine that parks might be held as a special set of property by the SF).

    Thus the problem of the commons is ended, because everything is commons -- but cannot be used without paying for it.


    This is actually more rational than what Rand does. She relies not on self-ownership, as is claimed, but on Nietzche's will to power, and giving approval to the exercise of power and whatever it may accomplish. To her people are decidedly not created equal, and those who are "more equal" have the right to seize power and dictate to others. Her system of property is that of plunder, and it is the love of plunder that makes the tragedy of the commons a reality. Replace the love of plunder with actual equality, and the problem goes away.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  13. #13
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,993
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    The tragedy of the commons is more the triumph of selfishness isn't it?
    Yes -- and Rand considers selfishness a virtue. It's what destroys her thinking.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  14. #14
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    11,109

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    @ Kulidahr

    I appreciate the disquisition. I shall study it tp see how it comports.

  15. #15
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,993
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by centexfarmer View Post
    Hmmm..I've noticed that you left out what has been identified as "politically correct," or PC in our current vernacular.

    Where every opinion, view, perspective, should be allowed a voice regardless of how ignert, repulsive, or retarded that it might come across with anyone with half a brain.

    Now that's some "liberal schtick."

    It seems to me that there was a point in time where "free societies" welcomed views, opinions, perspectives, and dissertations that "elevated" a question such as the one that you have posed here.

    Instead it seams over the past 30 or so some odd years, especially here in America, not only can you be a MORON you can be a celebrity on a reality TV show. A celebrity without any known or discernible talent.

    Would that be considered a "self-limiting effect" of a Free Society?
    Political correctness is an interesting phenomenon, because on the one hand it rules out certain views, banning them from the realm of discussion, and then proceeds to decree that all remaining opinions are equal. It's in response to political correctness that we got the maxim "You're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts". It was the PC attitude that allowed Mitt Romney to run a campaign built on lies -- i.e. on opinions contrary to fact.

    We will not have a free society that "welcome[s] views, opinions, perspectives, and dissertations that 'elevated' a question such as the one that you have posed here" until demagogues such as Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are greeted with scoffing jeers as ninety percent of the population checks the facts and finds them repeatedly wrong.

    That is to say, we will not have such a society again until we have people who prefer to actually think rather than to be told how or what to hold as opinion.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  16. #16
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,993
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by palbert View Post
    But isn't selfishness at the base of "self-ownership?" What use would philanthropy -- other than selfish -- have?
    Not at all. Self-ownership is an observable reality; selfishness is an attitude one chooses to have about that reality.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  17. #17
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,993
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by palbert View Post
    @ Kulidahr

    I appreciate the disquisition. I shall study it tp see how it comports.
    It's not my clearest effort. Christmas munchies, bubbly beverages, and an entire day of Top Gear and spin-offs on the tube don't contribute to the best of cogitation.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  18. #18
    PerScientiam AdJustitiam bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Beware the deepity.
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    16,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    Political correctness is an interesting phenomenon, because on the one hand it rules out certain views, banning them from the realm of discussion, and then proceeds to decree that all remaining opinions are equal. It's in response to political correctness that we got the maxim "You're entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts". It was the PC attitude that allowed Mitt Romney to run a campaign built on lies -- i.e. on opinions contrary to fact.

    We will not have a free society that "welcome[s] views, opinions, perspectives, and dissertations that 'elevated' a question such as the one that you have posed here" until demagogues such as Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck are greeted with scoffing jeers as ninety percent of the population checks the facts and finds them repeatedly wrong.

    That is to say, we will not have such a society again until we have people who prefer to actually think rather than to be told how or what to hold as opinion.
    Fact is, people don't check. I attribute it to the problem I raised above.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte. And Joseph Wilcox.

  19. #19
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    11,109

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    Not at all. Self-ownership is an observable reality; selfishness is an attitude one chooses to have about that reality.
    Selfishness may be an attitude but it is one with consequences, and therefore real.

    (I am a tyro "in a strange land.")

  20. #20
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    103,993
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    Fact is, people don't check. I attribute it to the problem I raised above.
    Not solely -- but cross it with the issue I posted, of wealth/comfort, and I think you've got it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by palbert View Post
    Selfishness may be an attitude but it is one with consequences, and therefore real.

    (I am a tyro "in a strange land.")
    Different level of reality.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  21. #21
    Virtus in medio stat JUB Admin opinterph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jawja
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    21,724
    Blog Entries
    14

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    Selfishness is an attitude one chooses to have about [self-ownership].
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    [Ayn Rand] relies not on self-ownership, … but on Nietzche's will to power.
    Do you think Nietzche regarded the “will to power” more as a pre-programmed genetic predisposition of some sort, or more as a conscious choice made by the individual?

  22. #22
    PerScientiam AdJustitiam bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Beware the deepity.
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    16,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by centexfarmer View Post
    Hmmm..I've noticed that you left out what has been identified as "politically correct," or PC in our current vernacular.

    Where every opinion, view, perspective, should be allowed a voice regardless of how ignert, repulsive, or retarded that it might come across with anyone with half a brain.

    Now that's some "liberal schtick."

    It seems to me that there was a point in time where "free societies" welcomed views, opinions, perspectives, and dissertations that "elevated" a question such as the one that you have posed here.

    Instead it seams over the past 30 or so some odd years, especially here in America, not only can you be a MORON you can be a celebrity on a reality TV show. A celebrity without any known or discernible talent.

    Would that be considered a "self-limiting effect" of a Free Society?
    Other than a bit of difficulty in sorting out which person has half a brain, I agree with this.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte. And Joseph Wilcox.

  23. #23
    JockBoy87
    Guest

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Let me just say, "wow;" this is a loaded topic.

    There are self limiting effects in any society due to our nature. People living in the post-neolithic revolution are shackled to a Paleolithic brain that stopped evolving socially many tens of thousands of years ago. At that time, people lived in groups of a few dozen at the most, in a natural war of survival to the detriment of other such groups, so it is our nature to conform to the norms of that paradigm. That paradigm also explains the human predisposition to be averse to otherness, which manifests in such vices as xenophobia and racism. I disagree that the tragedy of the commons exists everywhere. I find loyalty to one's family and peers to be a common virtue, but not society at large, and the aforementioned discussion is the reason. However, I do understand that humans have extraordinary ability to adapt and reason to new circumstances, an unparalleled ability among animals. If you put too many of any other animal in too confined a space, they will tear each other up. Our social adaptability was necessary before the first cities were ever possible, but it clearly has its limits.

    Now comes the nitty gritty. The best way for humans to survive in an unnatural existence, i.e. a highly evolved society, is to formulate a philosophical approach to what is best for humans. I gravitate towards utilitarianism. The most optimal state of affairs is a result of actions aimed to produce the most tangibly pleasant experience for most people. Can everyone agree on what that is? Now we have a bit more insight into why nations are more unified in a time of existential crisis.
    Last edited by JockBoy87; December 24th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

  24. #24
    PerScientiam AdJustitiam bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Beware the deepity.
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    16,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Yes, Sam Harris goes there with the idea that we should occupy ourselves with the welfare of conscious creatures. I'm not sure that's quite utilitarian, but there is a lot of functional overlap.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte. And Joseph Wilcox.

  25. #25

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    I think you guys are overlooking actual human experience. People have benefited from free enterprise/capitalism and the resulting democracy more than anything else in history--by far. In 1800, the vast majority of people lived in abject poverty, and even the very wealthy did not have many comforts that the first world poor have today. Capitalism and democracy harness the individuals desire to benefit himself and his family for the benefit of all. Your precious socialism/liberalism/communism destroys that incentive and the ability to innovate.

  26. #26
    JockBoy87
    Guest

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benvolio View Post
    I think you guys are overlooking actual human experience. People have benefited from free enterprise/capitalism and the resulting democracy more than anything else in history--by far. In 1800, the vast majority of people lived in abject poverty, and even the very wealthy did not have many comforts that the first world poor have today. Capitalism and democracy harness the individuals desire to benefit himself and his family for the benefit of all. Your precious socialism/liberalism/communism destroys that incentive and the ability to innovate.
    That's precisely the problem, salaries of the poor in the United States have not benefited from the industrial revolution. You can't afford even the cheapest apartment on $15000 a year while providing for a family. The condition of the first world poor is a result of social safety nets devised in the 20th century. Otherwise, we would have the sprawling shanty towns you see in Manila, Jakarta, Mumbai, and elsewhere.

  27. #27
    Execuvette Rolyo85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Boystown, Chicago
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    8,924

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Another one in a proud tradition of moronic statements. Saying "socialism/liberalism/communism" as if those are interchangeable, is so bumfucking ignorant, that I can't even fathom a reality in which someone says it seriously.

    Anyway, a good society has socialist elements, as well as capitalist, in balance. Neither is good on its own, as both victims of Communism, and generations of sad little children in factories can attest...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Another one in a proud tradition of moronic statements. Saying "socialism/liberalism/communism" as if those are interchangeable, is so bumfucking ignorant, that I can't even fathom a reality in which someone says it seriously.

    Anyway, a good society has socialist elements, as well as capitalist, in balance. Neither is good on its own, as both victims of Communism, and generations of sad little children in factories can attest...
    That we are capable only of being what we are, remains our unforgivable sin.
    - Gene Wolfe

  28. #28

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolyo85 View Post
    Another one in a proud tradition of moronic statements. Saying "socialism/liberalism/communism" as if those are interchangeable, is so bumfucking ignorant, that I can't even fathom a reality in which someone says it seriously.

    Anyway, a good society has socialist elements, as well as capitalist, in balance. Neither is good on its own, as both victims of Communism, and generations of sad little children in factories can attest...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Another one in a proud tradition of moronic statements. Saying "socialism/liberalism/communism" as if those are interchangeable, is so bumfucking ignorant, that I can't even fathom a reality in which someone says it seriously.

    Anyway, a good society has socialist elements, as well as capitalist, in balance. Neither is good on its own, as both victims of Communism, and generations of sad little children in factories can attest...
    They are not interchangeable but they have core beliefs in common: that economic inequality as such is very bad, an ultimate bad thing, that equality is more important than freedom, that therefore, governments should sacrifice economic freedom for equality, either at once or in gradual increments, and that government ownership or total control of business is preferable to economic freedom.

    - - - Updated - - -

    [QUOTE=Rolyo85;8597788]Another one in a proud tradition of moronic statements. Saying "socialism/liberalism/communism" as if those are interchangeable, is so bumfucking ignorant, that I can't even fathom a reality in which someone says it seriously.

    Anyway, a good society has socialist elements, as well as capitalist, in balance. Neither is good on its own, as both victims of Communism, and generations of sad little children in factories can attest...

  29. #29

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by JockBoy87 View Post
    That's precisely the problem, salaries of the poor in the United States have not benefited from the industrial revolution. You can't afford even the cheapest apartment on $15000 a year while providing for a family. The condition of the first world poor is a result of social safety nets devised in the 20th century. Otherwise, we would have the sprawling shanty towns you see in Manila, Jakarta, Mumbai, and elsewhere.
    Our poverty is largely the result of two policies. If I mention the "I" word they will erase the post. The other major reason is welfare dependency. We hire people to be poor so liberals can use them as talking points.
    It is wrong to say our poor have not benefited. The have a life style undreamable in many parts of the world or in1800. Who is so poor they don't have a toilet, shower, electricty, Clean water, TV and the ubiquitous cell phone?

  30. #30
    JockBoy87
    Guest

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benvolio View Post
    If I mention the "I" word they will erase the post.
    You just did.

    Though it can be argued that South Dakota must be a magical place without illegal immigration, that some paradoxical confluence of circumstances inexplicable to even the most brilliant scientists has resulted in poverty there.

    Who is so poor they don't have a toilet, shower, electricty, Clean water, TV and the ubiquitous cell phone?
    Precisely.
    Last edited by JockBoy87; December 31st, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

  31. #31
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,752

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benvolio View Post
    They are not interchangeable but they have core beliefs in common: that economic inequality as such is very bad, an ultimate bad thing, that equality is more important than freedom, that therefore, governments should sacrifice economic freedom for equality, either at once or in gradual increments, and that government ownership or total control of business is preferable to economic freedom.
    Correct. Because we have actual, hard evidence of what happens when you allow pure economic freedom. We call it the Robber Baron period of our history. It wasn't a good thing and it's nothing anyone wants to return to.

  32. #32

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by xbuzzerx View Post
    Correct. Because we have actual, hard evidence of what happens when you allow pure economic freedom. We call it the Robber Baron period of our history. It wasn't a good thing and it's nothing anyone wants to return to.
    We have had even more evidence of what happens when economic freedom is limited. Not just the USSR and all its subordinated, or Obama's beloved Maxism, but all those countries who stagnated when they experimented with socialism. No one wants the age of of robber barons, but no country in history has experienced such a period of innovation and economic expansion. The big problem is that the liberals do not see how much they have in common with the socialists and communists, and therefore will not be able to avoid those extremes.

  33. #33
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,752

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benvolio View Post
    We have had even more evidence of what happens when economic freedom is limited. Not just the USSR and all its subordinated, or Obama's beloved Maxism, but all those countries who stagnated when they experimented with socialism. No one wants the age of of barons, but no country in history has experienced such a period of innovation and economic expansion. The big problem is that the liberals do not see how much they have in common with the socialists and communists, and therefor will not be able to avoid those extremes.
    Exactly what about the corporate profit margins of today and the gap between the highest and lowest income earners of today, which approaches feudalist levels, is "not free enough" for you exactly?

    Oh not to mention some of the lowest tax rates in history.

    Please, make up more about how economic freedom is more curtailed than ever before.

  34. #34
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,054
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    I'm partial to "nitty gritty."

    Quote Originally Posted by JockBoy87 View Post

    Now comes the nitty gritty. The best way for humans to survive in an unnatural existence, i.e. a highly evolved society, is to formulate a philosophical approach to what is best for humans. I gravitate towards utilitarianism. The most optimal state of affairs is a result of actions aimed to produce the most tangibly pleasant experience for most people. Can everyone agree on what that is? Now we have a bit more insight into why nations are more unified in a time of existential crisis.
    Why does it have to be "nations?"

    Just look at Hurricane Sandy as a recent example of what could be described as an existential crisis.

    The nation didn't collectively come together, but communities did, neighborhoods did, and neighbors did.

    Often times completely overlooking any racial differences, or amount of income, but rather by need that someone within their geographic area had, that another could fill while having experienced the same crisis, but on a less traumatic level thus enabling all to survive to the best of their abilities.

    As has been pointed out by another poster, I don't see must socialism/liberalism/communism taking place within that actual real world example.

    Do you?
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  35. #35
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    11,109

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benvolio View Post
    Our poverty is largely the result of two policies. If I mention the "I" word they will erase the post. The other major reason is welfare dependency. We hire people to be poor so liberals can use them as talking points.
    It is wrong to say our poor have not benefited. The have a life style undreamable in many parts of the world or in1800. Who is so poor they don't have a toilet, shower, electricty, Clean water, TV and the ubiquitous cell phone?
    Are you truly that ignorant? Wake up and visit the inner cities or parts of non-urban America.

  36. #36
    JockBoy87
    Guest

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    Quote Originally Posted by centexfarmer View Post
    I'm partial to "nitty gritty."

    Why does it have to be "nations?"

    Just look at Hurricane Sandy as a recent example of what could be described as an existential crisis.

    The nation didn't collectively come together, but communities did, neighborhoods did, and neighbors did.

    Often times completely overlooking any racial differences, or amount of income, but rather by need that someone within their geographic area had, that another could fill while having experienced the same crisis, but on a less traumatic level thus enabling all to survive to the best of their abilities.

    As has been pointed out by another poster, I don't see must socialism/liberalism/communism taking place within that actual real world example.

    Do you?
    I am confused because you responded to a general perspective on anthropology and ethical philosophy with a discussion on political orientation. It's out of place. Communists and fascists join hands when faced with a crisis when smaller more inconsequential problems are less pressing. The independent dimensions of freedom, political orientation, and deontological ethics melt away in the face of existential crisis no matter how big or small. Then, you state something remarkably contradictory. You describe a state of affairs as a "collective coming together," but then say communism does not take place in such a situation, when the definition of communism describes the structure of a unified and classless society.
    Last edited by JockBoy87; December 31st, 2012 at 05:26 PM.

  37. #37
    nf fbt funw glbhuof gmhp SLOPPYSECONDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12,649
    Blog Entries
    3

    Code of Conduct

    Re: The Self-Limiting Effects of Free Societies.

    no land of a any sign UN a free or a society a lot otnda words fa it fa eons
    this a not news

    thankyou

    may death be mor kind ta them wot nose this fa eons ans do nothin
    all dudes salute wit cock millyteeree gonna got tink new pantys
    -yea at a tinks-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About JustUsBoys.com | Site Map | RSS | Webmasters | Advertise | Link to JUB | Report A Bug on this Page

Visit our sister sites: Broke Straight Boys | CollegeDudes.com | CollegeBoyPhysicals.com | RocketTube
All models appearing on JustUsBoys.com were over 18 at the time of photography. The records for sexually explicit images required by U.S. 2257 are kept by the
individual producers of the images. The location of the records is available by clicking the Custodian of Records link at the bottom of each gallery page.
© 2012 JustUsBoys.com. The JustUsBoys.com name and logo are registered trademarks. Labeled with ICRA and RTA. Member of ASACP and The Free Speech Coalition.