JustUsBoys.com gay porn forum

logo

remove these banner ads by becoming a JUB Supporter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 65
  1. #1
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Discussion is invited on the subject of whether wikipedia quotes should be allowed in here versus source material (non-derived). IMO it should not be allowed because of inaccuracies in most wikipedia material. It is open source and thus often tertiary or even further derived from the source material that produced it due to extensive edits not to mention vandalism and purposeful alterations. In this forum accurate historical and current affairs citations are of considerable value and importance so that's why I broach the topic.

    Wikipedia is NOT accepted as an authoritative citable source in many instances and why not this forum as well. We can improve quality of posts here by disallowing it. But this is just my opinion and users here are welcome to discuss this.
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  2. #2
    JUB Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Widower
    Posts
    9,580

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    ^ The problem with this notion is that many of the posters here seem to be so ignorant of even the most basic concepts discussed that unauthorative wikipedia is actually a step up for them.

  3. #3
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by Harke the Boeotarch View Post
    ^ The problem with this notion is that many of the posters here seem to be so ignorant of even the most basic concepts discussed that unauthorative wikipedia is actually a step up for them.
    My god I hope that is not the case.
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  4. #4
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,646

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by cgymike View Post
    My god I hope that is not the case.
    I think it is.

  5. #5
    Likes cock.
    ChickenGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Brighton, England
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    5,184

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    I'm afraid you rather overestimate my research abilities, cgymike, if you're now expecting me to only quote from published works, thesis, academical papers, journals, and original-source statistics.

  6. #6
    JUB 10k Club
    jackoroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    11,390

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Wikipedia isn't perfect, of course. It isn't horrible either. We'll continue to allow it to be used. We'll allow it to be rebutted by other sources as well.

  7. #7
    Execuvette Rolyo85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Boystown, Chicago
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    8,839

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Depending on subject matter, Wikipedia can be absolutely credible. And when it's not, there are easy ways to be disproven.
    That we are capable only of being what we are, remains our unforgivable sin.
    - Gene Wolfe

  8. #8

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    I do use Wikipedia often and often quote it . Its "authoritativeness" would be dependent on anyone who views it not by a person or group of people deciding that a person or persons is authority on something else , so reasonably , being constantly subject to external citicism it should be more acurrate ( idiosyncratic and constant editing versus no editing at all ) not less accurate . More accurate in that any one article in that over time should represent the opinion of the community.

  9. #9

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    looking at the printing history of Semelweiss . Complicated issue certainly . Silenced and oppressed by the medical community but towards the end suddenly became very eccentric in his behaviour , like schizophrenia or something , even his wife thought so .

  10. #10
    ecce homo rareboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    33,030

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    One of the reasons that Wiki should be allowed to be used is for the reference sources listed at the bottom of most articles. These often list a number of primary sources for the articles in one place that readers can then go to to expand their own research.

    It is no more or less credible than the majority of other sources cited on this forum.

  11. #11
    Quality posting since 2K7 Nishin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Europe
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    2,555

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Wikipedia banned but shitmedia like Fox/O'Riley yes?
    Don't think so

  12. #12
    loki81
    Guest

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    "allowed"?

    inaccuracies in most wikipedia material
    I've never found this to be the case... are their inaccuracies? sure, but I would argue against "most" material. do you have any kind of citation? I'll accept a wikipedia article about it.

  13. #13
    Keeland
    Guest

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by cgymike View Post
    IMO it should not be allowed because of inaccuracies in most wikipedia material. It is open source and thus often tertiary or even further derived from the source material that produced it due to extensive edits not to mention vandalism and purposeful alterations. In this forum accurate historical and current affairs citations are of considerable value and importance so that's why I broach the topic.
    A cite or two to back your premise would have made it much more forceful.

    In that vein, Wikipedia's entry (for what it's worth) on its own accuracy, pro and con.
    Several studies have been done to assess the reliability of Wikipedia. A notable early study in the journal Nature said that in 2005, Wikipedia scientific articles came close to the level of accuracy in Encyclopædia Britannica and had a similar rate of "serious errors".[2] The study by Nature was disputed by Encyclopædia Britannica,[3] and later Nature replied to this refutation with both a formal response and a point-by-point rebuttal of Britannica's main objections.[4] Between 2008 and 2010, articles in medical and scientific fields such as pathology,[5] toxicology,[6] oncology[7] and pharmaceuticals[8] comparing Wikipedia to professional and peer-reviewed sources found that Wikipedia's depth and coverage were of a high standard. Concerns regarding readability were raised in a study published by the American Society of Clinical Oncology.[9] However, omissions sometimes remained an issue, at times due to public relations removal of adverse product information. . . .
    A Google search of accuracy britannica wikipedia hauled up this list.

  14. #14
    Execuvette Rolyo85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Boystown, Chicago
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    8,839

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by Nishin View Post
    Wikipedia banned but shitmedia like Fox/O'Riley yes?
    Don't think so
    Word. And who decides what info is "accurate" anymore anyway?
    That we are capable only of being what we are, remains our unforgivable sin.
    - Gene Wolfe

  15. #15
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,646

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by Nishin View Post
    Wikipedia banned but shitmedia like Fox/O'Riley yes?
    Don't think so
    My feeling exactly. Since I've been here this is the typical caliber of source material cited, if anything is cited whatsoever, and wikipedia would be an enormous step up. This forum doesn't seem to be suffering from an epidemic of misinformation because people are over-citing wikipedia. Like another poster said I think the discussions would actually be 3 or 5 steps up from where they are if everyone WERE using wikipedia as a baseline.

    I also think the inaccuracy and unreliability of wikipedia, particularly compared to more singular sources which may be private, profit driven and entertainment geared under a "news" label, is incredibly exaggerated.

  16. #16

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Let's just ban the ones you don't like.

    It could be like an old-fashioned book burning.


  17. #17
    FEAR THE LIBERAL DETENTE! TX-Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,399

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    This is an internet chat board not a thesis defense. I find it kinda amusing when anybody starts getting precious about sourcing and accuracy on a gay porn site.

    If somebody cares enough about something said in here, they will go find the backup for themselves. That includes disputing WIKI articles and the fat man on the radio.

    Talking about banning this or that around here is truly some kind of surreal.
    ATTACK OF THE LIBERAL ELITE

  18. #18
    Rambunctiously Pugnacious JayHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    River Quay - KC
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    24,238

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    I use wiki but try to stick with two types of information. if it is a general bit of data like the countries surrounding northern what the fuck-is-stan then a map out of wiki is typically okay... I have also found the recounted history on wiki is fairly accurate.

    With analyzed data I will only use a wiki that has credible sources where I can verify the data... in that sense wiki has just done the hard work of presentation...

    The content of CEP shouldn't rely entirely on outside sources either. The outside sources should be used to drive home a data point in an overriding discussion from the posters point of view... the most material should come from the posters finger tips not a outside source... I can read everything I need to ...

    For that reason I may occasionally ridicule a source but typically I ridicule or question the data found within. Getting upset about sources when a poster has a opinion on a subject matter is the same as trying to win an argument by attacking the character of the poster... completely irrelevant and not very helpful to the conversation....
    Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve.
    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


  19. #19
    JUB Addict maxpowr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,839
    Blog Entries
    3

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    ^That's what I used wikipedia for also. It should be used for basic information only. Considering MLA has banned wikipedia as a reliable source, I would pass on it to cite anything.

    There are a fair amount of other links on here that I found objectionable as a reliable source too but that's getting off topic.

  20. #20
    JUB Addict LeicsDom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Leicester UK
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    1,814

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by cgymike View Post
    Discussion is invited on the subject of whether wikipedia quotes should be allowed in here versus source material (non-derived).
    I don't see the problem so long as it is clear that Wiki is the source for reference.
    Surely it is then up to the reader to decide if the source is reliable

  21. #21
    Booyah! Callum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Gerstein and Robarts
    Gender
    Male
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    2,706
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Yeah, I'm guilty of reading Wikipedia to see the basics of some things. But I always skip to the citations at the end for the sources provided to see if they're any decent.
    blacksyringe

  22. #22
    panegyric JUB Admin Corny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Germany!
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    36,226
    Blog Entries
    12

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    What is this? Is it 2003 again? Because that's when the big encyclopedias tried this scare tactic.
    Check out my very own Body Hair Lovers and Photography Groups!

  23. #23
    JUB Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Widower
    Posts
    9,580

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by Corny View Post
    What is this? Is it 2003 again? Because that's when the big encyclopedias tried this scare tactic.
    Was that what that was all about?

    I do still have the problem that a lot of politically relevant information I'm looking for isn't on wikipedia or anywhere else on the internet where I'm looking for it.

  24. #24
    Rambunctiously Pugnacious JayHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    River Quay - KC
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    24,238

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Harke I have often thought the data producers of my government should be required to deliver the data in usable forms... often i see reports from different sections of government that are in PDF format so unless I want to transcribe thousands of numbers I can not do a independent scrub of the data.
    Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve.
    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


  25. #25
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by jackoroe View Post
    Wikipedia isn't perfect, of course. It isn't horrible either. We'll continue to allow it to be used. We'll allow it to be rebutted by other sources as well.
    Who is "we"...are you making a mod decision or is that the view of JUB?
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  26. #26
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by Nishin View Post
    Wikipedia banned but shitmedia like Fox/O'Riley yes?
    Don't think so
    No. Fox is a current affairs source and sure it's got it's own view but because it is directly tied into news/current affairs it's useful for this forum if controversial. And in fact that controversy can enrich discussion where "opposing views" can be balanced/contrasted. And no I don't see Fox itself as "fair and balanced". CNN also is an important source!
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  27. #27
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeland View Post
    A cite or two to back your premise would have made it much more forceful.

    In that vein, Wikipedia's entry (for what it's worth) on its own accuracy, pro and con.

    A Google search of accuracy britannica wikipedia hauled up this list.
    I am not interested in being forceful here but rather my motivation was to open a meta level discussion on this forum with respect to authority in quotation as pertains to derived sources. I might have pointed out other sources that are derived apart from Wkikpedia that's true but I wanted to have Wikipedia as a point of focus for the discussion to drill down on this issue of authoritativeness and souce material. Making the discussion "forceful" by ruse or deliberation was not my intent because that would frustrate what I am trying to discuss.
    Thanks you for Wiki's own entry and I'll sure accept that as authoritative opinion on Wiki coming from Wiki...LOL

    I'll dig more in Wikimedia and see what I can find. Thanks for the Google material too.
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  28. #28
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by xbuzzerx View Post
    My feeling exactly. Since I've been here this is the typical caliber of source material cited, if anything is cited whatsoever, and wikipedia would be an enormous step up. This forum doesn't seem to be suffering from an epidemic of misinformation because people are over-citing wikipedia. Like another poster said I think the discussions would actually be 3 or 5 steps up from where they are if everyone WERE using wikipedia as a baseline.

    I also think the inaccuracy and unreliability of wikipedia, particularly compared to more singular sources which may be private, profit driven and entertainment geared under a "news" label, is incredibly exaggerated.
    Good point about the calibre of discussion but that's critiquing this forum isn't it? Lots of material there for sure! I wikipedia is a derived source where does this leave the CEP Forum? Down in the dust isn't it?
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  29. #29
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by Corny View Post
    What is this? Is it 2003 again? Because that's when the big encyclopedias tried this scare tactic.
    I don't understand what you mean. Sorry.
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  30. #30
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,054
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by rareboy View Post
    One of the reasons that Wiki should be allowed to be used is for the reference sources listed at the bottom of most articles. These often list a number of primary sources for the articles in one place that readers can then go to to expand their own research.

    It is no more or less credible than the majority of other sources cited on this forum
    .
    This ^.

    And UNLESS you're a Fox News Only source driven Zombie, any source outside of that they're making up is considered "liberal bias" (aka the truth), so if anyone here quotes wiki it doesn't matter anyway.
    Last edited by CTF; November 27th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  31. #31
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by JayHawk View Post
    I use wiki but try to stick with two types of information. if it is a general bit of data like the countries surrounding northern what the fuck-is-stan then a map out of wiki is typically okay... I have also found the recounted history on wiki is fairly accurate.

    With analyzed data I will only use a wiki that has credible sources where I can verify the data... in that sense wiki has just done the hard work of presentation...

    The content of CEP shouldn't rely entirely on outside sources either. The outside sources should be used to drive home a data point in an overriding discussion from the posters point of view... the most material should come from the posters finger tips not a outside source... I can read everything I need to ...

    For that reason I may occasionally ridicule a source but typically I ridicule or question the data found within. Getting upset about sources when a poster has a opinion on a subject matter is the same as trying to win an argument by attacking the character of the poster... completely irrelevant and not very helpful to the conversation....
    Thanks for putting some thought into your post and the most sensible response so far. You are suggesting screening the wiki source quote against original source material. I concur. However, I can probably get source material from a search engine and go directly from there instead of wading through the wiki article to check for veracity because of "open-source" abuse (aka edits). But, I agree it's a start, and on more "factual" aspects, wiki has it's uses.
    By "allow" in my OP I would modify that word to say "screened" where the article would be allowed if there was also some source material in reference to back it up.

    A lot of the heated arguments here ad hominem and otherwise could be sorted if there was a "brass tacks" way of getting to the nub of an issue. How many times have we heard "back up what you say" and so on. Then the argements get personal when the person either is not willing to do so or does not readily know how to do it. Wikipedia is a bit of a crutch and what I am suggesting in all of this is a better way to substantiate in this forum. Obviously in HT and other forums it's not important.
    But I am but one person and will not speak for anyone else or assign collectivity carte blanche assuming something that may not be shared by the community here.
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  32. #32
    CE&P Secret Police xbuzzerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    10,646

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by cgymike View Post
    Thanks for putting some thought into your post and the most sensible response so far. You are suggesting screening the wiki source quote against original source material. I concur. However, I can probably get source material from a search engine and go directly from there instead of wading through the wiki article to check for veracity. But, I agree it's a start, and on more "factual" aspects wiki has it's uses.
    By "allow" in my OP I would modify that word to say "screened" where the article would be allowed if there was also some source material in reference to back it up.

    A lot of the heated arguments here ad hominem and otherwise could be sorted if there was a "brass tacks" way of getting to the nub of an issue. How many times have we heard "back up what you say" and so on. Then the argements get personal when the person either is not willing to do so or does not readily know how to do it. Wikipedia is a bit of a crutch and what I am suggesting in all of this is a better way to substantiate in this forum. Obviously in HT and other forums it's not important.
    But I am but one person and will not speak for anyone else or assign collectivity.
    You're talking about real, real research though. How often is that even being used vs. people linking something from reuters or a private news source?

  33. #33
    The Boy Next Door LuvFindsAndyHardy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    4,074

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by cgymike View Post
    I am not interested in being forceful here but rather my motivation was to open a meta level discussion on this forum with respect to authority in quotation as pertains to derived sources.
    Check out the big brain on Brad

  34. #34
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by xbuzzerx View Post
    You're talking about real, real research though. How often is that even being used vs. people linking something from reuters or a private news source?
    Well, original research is the ultimate of course and no, I'm not talking on that level. Merely talking about quoting material not engaging in original research to create the authoritative source material. True, a lot of research is done from secondary sources so you do have a point there.
    We are not at Reuters or CNN but I'm sure Anderson Cooper has some derived stuff in his reportage.
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  35. #35
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by LuvFindsAndyHardy View Post
    Check out the big brain on Brad
    Thanks though not sure of the relevance to the subject at hand.
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  36. #36
    FEAR THE LIBERAL DETENTE! TX-Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,399

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Hah. you be more likely to get people to agree on "facts," and sources in Hot Topics. Who is going to be doing all this "screening," why is it necessary?

    There is no source on the net that someone can't argue with, ignore, wish away, challenge, etc, that's never been different on any board anywhere and it's no different here.

    Talking about "banning," and "screening," is ridiculous.
    ATTACK OF THE LIBERAL ELITE

  37. #37
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by LeicsDom View Post
    I don't see the problem so long as it is clear that Wiki is the source for reference.
    Surely it is then up to the reader to decide if the source is reliable
    No because at issue here is the credibility of that source. Clarifying that it is wiki is understood but insufficient to establish veracity.
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  38. #38
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by TX-Beau View Post
    Hah. you be more likely to get people to agree on "facts," and sources in Hot Topics. Who is going to be doing all this "screening," why is it necessary?

    There is no source on the net that someone can't argue with, ignore, wish away, challenge, etc, that's never been different on any board anywhere and it's no different here.

    Talking about "banning," and "screening," is ridiculous.
    Where did I say banning? Like I said elsewhere I'm not making this such a forceful discussion though this forum is "not for the faint of heart" by definition. And if it is a rigorous forum in that way why shouldn't it also be in the sense of having robust posts backed up by authoritative source material. Not bullet proof, no, but an enhancement to the rubbish that is sometimes proffered.

    I think your conclusions are a little pat and simplistic.
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  39. #39
    FEAR THE LIBERAL DETENTE! TX-Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,399

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by cgymike View Post
    Where did I say banning? Like I said elsewhere I'm not making this such a forceful discussion though this forum is "not for the faint of heart" by definition. And if it is a rigorous forum in that way why shouldn't it also be in the sense of having robust posts backed up by authoritative source material. Not bullet proof, no, but an enhancement to the rubbish that is sometimes proffered.

    I think your conclusions are a little pat and simplistic.
    Uhhh,

    Quote Originally Posted by cgymike View Post
    Discussion is invited on the subject of whether wikipedia quotes should be allowed in here versus source material (non-derived). IMO it should not be allowed because of inaccuracies in most wikipedia material. It is open source and thus often tertiary or even further derived from the source material that produced it due to extensive edits not to mention vandalism and purposeful alterations. In this forum accurate historical and current affairs citations are of considerable value and importance so that's why I broach the topic.

    Wikipedia is NOT accepted as an authoritative citable source in many instances and why not this forum as well. We can improve quality of posts here by disallowing it. But this is just my opinion and users here are welcome to discuss this.
    (emphasis mine)

    Come on. Do you really think that requiring sourcing and referencing like we are all trying for our Doctorates would do anything other than kill this forum? It's kind of Gestapo like tactics anyway. Who get's to decide what is acceptable? You?

    Really? People can say whatever they want however badly sourced, you don't have to read it. This isn't Harvard, it's JUB. Let's not pretend a good political purse fight has anything to do with "facts," in the first place.
    ATTACK OF THE LIBERAL ELITE

  40. #40
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,054
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by cgymike View Post
    By "allow" in my OP I would modify that word to say "screened" where the article would be allowed if there was also some source material in reference to back it up
    .

    A lot of the heated arguments here ad hominem and otherwise could be sorted if there was a "brass tacks" way of getting to the nub of an issue.
    From a Mods perspective two things here:

    1. Often times all that we get is an "opinion;" 'everyone who doesn't agree with my opinion are a group of screaming meanies, and I don't see why you don't get that.'
    2. 'Here's a link that best conforms to my opinion, I'll quote the full copyrighted source, and I won't share with you my opinion about it, or care about your opinion regarding the source...discuss.'

      So, as Mods we're left with either editing one or the other, deleting one or the other, or waiting until it turns into a train wreck and either closing it, or deleting it.

      But good idea though!
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  41. #41
    JUB Addict cgymike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    6,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by TX-Beau View Post
    Uhhh,



    (emphasis mine)

    Come on. Do you really think that requiring sourcing and referencing like we are all trying for our Doctorates would do anything other than kill this forum? It's kind of Gestapo like tactics anyway. Who get's to decide what is acceptable? You?

    Really? People can say whatever they want however badly sourced, you don't have to read it. This isn't Harvard, it's JUB. Let's not pretend a good political purse fight has anything to do with "facts," in the first place.
    Gestapo? What? My opinion? That was disclaimed several times in my response posts by saying it was MY opinion. I. Me. NOT WE.
    Of course people can say what they want (within the rules set out in the stickies).

    Responded in kind to your post pal.

    Kinda lacks content doesn't it?
    Your post comments are forwarded to the CIA.

  42. #42
    FEAR THE LIBERAL DETENTE! TX-Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,399

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Excuse me? Is that not talking of banning something? Which you then said you weren't talking about?

    If ANYONE is on here deciding who and what may be sourced that is indeed gestapo like tactics.

    Everything else I said, pretty much stands.

    You know why this is a ridiculous idea?

    http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war.../ideologue.htm
    ATTACK OF THE LIBERAL ELITE

  43. #43
    Virtus in medio stat JUB Admin opinterph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jawja
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    21,352
    Blog Entries
    14

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    I think Wiki can be a useful starting point and I sometimes quote it as a source. I think you just have to use a little intuition (e.g. additional research) before citing it as authoritative.

    Example: The last sentence in this screen cap was later found to be incorrect.


  44. #44
    FEAR THE LIBERAL DETENTE! TX-Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,399

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    LOL that's funny.
    ATTACK OF THE LIBERAL ELITE

  45. #45
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,054
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    I honestly cannot think, or recall a time where ANYONE who's posted in CE&P has ever used Wiki as a Primary Source to begin a discussion topic here in CE&P.

    I use it as a link source to provide additional background from where I'm coming from on any given topic, but never as a primary source, and I can't honestly think of anyone (from either spectrum of any given debate) who has.

    So, from that point it's a difference between using Websters, Merriam, or the Urban Dictionary as sources for defining certain words, and/or their meanings.
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  46. #46

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by opinterph View Post
    I think Wiki can be a useful starting point and I sometimes quote it as a source. I think you just have to use a little intuition (e.g. additional research) before citing it as authoritative.

    Example: The last sentence in this screen cap was later found to be incorrect.

    Very thankful that last part was wrong -- however he could be stripping for Kim Jong-il.

  47. #47
    PerScientiam AdJustitiam bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Middle of Snowwhere.
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    16,351
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    LOL maybe JUB needs "fact checkers."
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte. And Joseph Wilcox.

  48. #48
    FEAR THE LIBERAL DETENTE! TX-Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,399

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    I say we institute a panel to which anyone who wants to start a thread must SUBMIT THEIR ORIGINAL, AND SOURCED RESEARCH BEFORE THEY ARE ALLOWED TO INITIATE A DISCUSSION!

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

    Sorry, my inner mad scientist got away with me...
    ATTACK OF THE LIBERAL ELITE

  49. #49
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,054
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Springer View Post
    Very thankful that last part was wrong -- however he could be stripping for Kim Jong-il .


    If that were true Wikipedia would have referenced that.

    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  50. #50
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,054
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Use of Wikipedia quotes in this forum is questionable

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    LOL maybe JUB needs "fact checkers."
    That's part of what everyone else is here for.

    Isn't it?
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About JustUsBoys.com | Site Map | RSS | Webmasters | Advertise | Link to JUB | Report A Bug on this Page

Visit our sister sites: Broke Straight Boys | CollegeDudes.com | CollegeBoyPhysicals.com | RocketTube
All models appearing on JustUsBoys.com were over 18 at the time of photography. The records for sexually explicit images required by U.S. 2257 are kept by the
individual producers of the images. The location of the records is available by clicking the Custodian of Records link at the bottom of each gallery page.
© 2012 JustUsBoys.com. The JustUsBoys.com name and logo are registered trademarks. Labeled with ICRA and RTA. Member of ASACP and The Free Speech Coalition.