JustUsBoys.com gay porn forum

logo

remove these banner ads by becoming a JUB Supporter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 116

Thread: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

      
   
  1. #51
    Rambunctiously Pugnacious JayHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    River Quay - KC
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    24,086

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by palemale View Post
    Nothing wrong with the way we say it. That's proper English.
    Yeah... but you should be speaking Amuricun..... jeesh.
    Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve.
    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


  2. #52

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    New York City is a group of islands off the coast of North America. That separation by a body of water from the rest of the continent was bound to cause some variation in pronunciation.

  3. #53
    Rambunctiously Pugnacious JayHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    River Quay - KC
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    24,086

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Water changes dialect.... ahhh so that is why pirates talk the way they do.....
    Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve.
    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


  4. #54

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Just ask the Irish and Jamaicans.

  5. #55
    Rambunctiously Pugnacious JayHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    River Quay - KC
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    24,086

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Yar but what about Boston...
    Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve.
    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


  6. #56

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    They have no excuse for speaking differently.

  7. #57
    Rambunctiously Pugnacious JayHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    River Quay - KC
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    24,086

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Thank you i assumed as much....

    Now where did Mexico, Missouri get its name? Oh and while we are at it how about Big Bone Lick State Park??? Historic cruising spot or what?

    Of Course Big Bone Lick is located right next to BeaverLick so it may be just hopeful thinking......
    Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve.
    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


  8. #58
    JubberClubber White Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Widower
    Posts
    10,824

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    A true Texan would not pronounce Houston as Howston. Sam Houston was the 1st and 3rd president of the Republic of Texas. I traced his name back to a great great grandfather (I believe) in Scotland. Let's find a Scot and see how he says it.

    Medic1 posts here at times. I've sent him a PM.
    BEWARE! Harassing the Indian may result in sudden and severe hair loss.

  9. #59
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,049
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by palemale View Post
    It is also interesting to note that Texas names its largest city after the street in Manhattan that forms the boundary between Greenwich Village and Soho on the west side of the island, and the East Village and Lower East Side on the east side of the island. I am talking about Houston Street, of course.
    Wow! And I was thinking that you were credible in your History.

    That are you're just checking to see who's paying attention.

    Harrisburg, Texas was one of many capitols of Texas until Santa Anna Burned the whole city to the ground during the Texas Revolution. During that time it was also the seat of government of Harris County. Where a little place San Jacinto is also located.

    After that battle, the locals renamed what is now the largest City in the State of Texas after General Sam Houston. (pronounced Hue-stun).

    Texans don't pronounce it correctly, though. We call it How-ston Street, with the accent on the first syllable, not You-ston, with no accent on either syllable. When are y'all in Texas going to learn how to speak English properly?
    So you still haven't explained who or what How-ston street in "NEW YORK CITY" is named after.

    Is it true that Wall Street was named after a wall that kept wild pigs out and other undesirables out of what is current day "Lower Manhatten?"
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  10. #60
    JUB Addict maxpowr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,637
    Blog Entries
    3

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by JayHawk View Post
    Yar but what about Boston...
    I'd punch your fart box for that comment. There is a reason the northeast region of the US is called NewEngland. Many of our towns are cities have English equivalents. Where is Gillette Stadium located? Foxborough. Even my hometown despite having a unique name was actually incorrectly spelled on the town charter and the name stuck. It was supposed to be named after another English town (which shockingly only has 320 people in it according to wikipedia) but one letter got changed. Coincidentally, said town is located in Suffolk county and what county is Boston in? Shocker. Sister counties in MA: Middlesex and Norfolk can also be found in England.

    Just don't tell Canadians that "Nova Scotia" is Latin for New Scotland.

  11. #61
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,049
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by maxpowr9 View Post
    ...Even my hometown despite having a unique name was actually incorrectly spelled on the town charter and the name stuck. It was supposed to be named after another English town (which shockingly only has 320 people in it according to wikipedia) but one letter got changed.
    Let me guess...was it the letter R?

    Just don't tell Canadians that "Nova Scotia" is Latin for New Scotland.
    Or as they say in upstate Maine, "Civilization."
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  12. #62
    JUB Addict maxpowr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,637
    Blog Entries
    3

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by centexfarmer View Post
    Let me guess...was it the letter R?
    Har har har.

    It was actually a "t" into a "d". I'm disappointed BP hasn't PM'd the guess where my hometown is after the pot discussion.

    The town's library is so old...How old is it?...It's so old that they spell "public", "puvlic" on the building.

  13. #63
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,049
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by maxpowr9 View Post
    Har har har.

    It was actually a "t" into a "d". I'm disappointed BP hasn't PM'd the guess where my hometown is after the pot discussion.

    The town's library is so old...How old is it?...It's so old that they spell "public", "puvlic" on the building.
    Many years ago I was on a private bus with Coast Guard buddies of mine driving back from Boston to New Bedford.

    We passed through a town that I knew damned good and well how the "locals" pronounced it:

    Leominster, MA.

    And I pronounced it just like it is spelled to this Texas boy: Leo-Minster.

    My Coast Guard Buddies and Shipmates HOWLED!

    "LEMON-STA!"



    So, yeah what-eva!
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  14. #64
    JUB Addict maxpowr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,637
    Blog Entries
    3

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by centexfarmer View Post
    Many years ago I was on a private bus with Coast Guard buddies of mine driving back from Boston to New Bedford.

    We passed through a town that I knew damned good and well how the "locals" pronounced it:

    Leominster, MA.

    And I pronounced it just like it is spelled to this Texas boy: Leo-Minster.

    My Coast Guard Buddies and Shipmates HOWLED!

    "LEMON-STA!"



    So, yeah what-eva!
    Yeah, our pronunciations are southern English: Worcester = wus-ta. Copley = cop-lee. Berkshire = burk-sheer. Haverhill = hey-vrill.

    Hint: you amalgamate the pronunciations of Worcester and Berkshire to get the correct pronunciation of Worcestershire as wus-ta-sheer.

  15. #65
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,049
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    And here in Texas names with the letter J or X are silent.

    For example; Mexia is pronounced Me-hay-ya.

    Bexar the county seat of which San Antonio is the county seat of is pronounced Bay-har.

    Texas is properly pronounced, Tey-has.

    And it's true what y'all (you all; all of you say): Texans don't "speaka da engrish."

    We speaks da Spanglish.

    And PRO-nounce the English as it's written.



    With that in mind, there's a town about a half an hour South of Dallas called Waxahachie.

    They filmed Places in the Heart there, and it's a roll that won Sally Field her first "you really like me" Oscar.

    How would you pronounce Waxahachie?

    Even the local weather readers get it wrong.
    Last edited by CTF; November 21st, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  16. #66
    JUB Addict maxpowr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,637
    Blog Entries
    3

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    ^I learned Spanish in high school so I know all intricacies of the language including some of the obscure Nahuatl. Por ejemplo, Oaxaca se pronuncia, "wa-hä-ka".

    I would pronounce "Waxahachie" as "woah-hä-a-chi".

    Edit: learned the a with umlaut.

  17. #67
    Rambunctiously Pugnacious JayHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    River Quay - KC
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    24,086

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    The poke at Boston was meant more for BP as he was strolling the streets of Jub at that time... I see Centex has set you right however...



    When I die I may not go to heaven, I don't know if they let Cowboys in
    If they don't just let me go to Texas, Texas is as close as I've been

    Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve.
    ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.


  18. #68

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by centexfarmer View Post
    Wow! And I was thinking that you were credible in your History.

    That are you're just checking to see who's paying attention.

    Harrisburg, Texas was one of many capitols of Texas until Santa Anna Burned the whole city to the ground during the Texas Revolution. During that time it was also the seat of government of Harris County. Where a little place San Jacinto is also located.

    After that battle, the locals renamed what is now the largest City in the State of Texas after General Sam Houston. (pronounced Hue-stun).



    So you still haven't explained who or what How-ston street in "NEW YORK CITY" is named after.

    Is it true that Wall Street was named after a wall that kept wild pigs out and other undesirables out of what is current day "Lower Manhatten?"
    I was once sitting on the subway, overhearing a conversation between two women from Texas. They heard the conductor announce the "How-ston" Street stop, and the one women commented about what she perceived to be the mispronunciation of Houston Street. The other women said, "well, "How-ston" Street was here before Houston, Texas existed."

    Houston Street is also a Scottish name.

    Houston Street is named for William Houstoun, who was a delegate from State of Georgia to the Continental Congress from 1784 through 1786 and to the Constitutional Convention in 1787.[1] The street was christened by Nicholas Bayard III, whose daughter, Mary, was married to Houstoun in 1788.[3] The couple met while Houstoun, a member of an ancient and aristocratic Scottish family, was serving in the Congress.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston...28Manhattan%29

    I believe Wall Street got its name from fortifications the Dutch built to keep the English out, or perhaps Native Americans.

  19. #69

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    How about Weehawkin and Seacaucus, NJ. Two of many Native American place names in New Jersey.

    One of my favorite place names is Intercourse, PA.

  20. #70
    IllumiNaughty Overlord. bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    15,400
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by centexfarmer View Post
    And here in Texas names with the letter J or X are silent.

    For example; Mexia is pronounced Me-hay-ya.

    Bexar the county seat of which San Antonio is the county seat of is pronounced Bay-har.

    Texas is properly pronounced, Tey-has.

    And it's true what y'all (you all; all of you say): Texans don't "speaka da engrish."

    We speaks da Spanglish.

    And PRO-nounce the English as it's written.



    With that in mind, there's a town about a half an hour South of Dallas called Waxahachie.

    They filmed Places in the Heart there, and it's a roll that won Sally Field her first "you really like me" Oscar.

    How would you pronounce Waxahachie?

    Even the local weather readers get it wrong.
    I'd say WAX-a-HATCH-ee because that's what it looks like and we know basically nothing about Spanish here.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte.

  21. #71
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,049
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    This thread has gotten educational. Me likey.

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    I'd say WAX-a-HATCH-ee because that's what it looks like and we know basically nothing about Spanish here.
    ^ You've come the closest so far. Except the first part isn't pronounced Wax like candle wax, but like walks like something that you would talk. like a Chinese cooking tool.

    Walks-a-HATCH-ee.

    It's funny to be in a room full of locals, and to hear someone put the emphasis on WAX when saying Waxahachie.

    Everyone instantly winces in pain.
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  22. #72
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,049
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by palemale View Post
    I was once sitting on the subway, overhearing a conversation between two women from Texas. They heard the conductor announce the "How-ston" Street stop, and the one women commented about what she perceived to be the mispronunciation of Houston Street. The other women said, "well, "How-ston" Street was here before Houston, Texas existed."

    Houston Street is also a Scottish name.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston...28Manhattan%29

    I believe Wall Street got its name from fortifications the Dutch built to keep the English out, or perhaps Native Americans.
    It's good that woman recognized that.

    With the exception of Central Park it's hard to be in the city and visualize a time when the whole island looked like that.
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  23. #73
    IllumiNaughty Overlord. bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    15,400
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by centexfarmer View Post
    This thread has gotten educational. Me likey.



    ^ You've come the closest so far. Except the first part isn't pronounced Wax like candle wax, but like walks like something that you would talk. like a Chinese cooking tool.

    Walks-a-HATCH-ee.

    It's funny to be in a room full of locals, and to hear someone put the emphasis on WAX when saying Waxahachie.

    Everyone instantly winces in pain.
    LOL that is probably my Canadian accent coming through in the way we say "a" as in "wax." I can pick out Americans right away when they say "a" as in "walks" for a lot of words that we would tend to say like "wax." For instance, we don't say "pahhsta" but "pasta." And not Obahhma but Obama.

    The real puzzler is British newscasters who change a's halfway through a word. "Afghanistonn" instead of "Afghanistan." Stan. Like Dorothy Zbornack's ex-husband Stan, from the Golden Girls.

    Okay now you try one of ours: "Iqaluit," capital of Nunavut.
    Last edited by bankside; November 22nd, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte.

  24. #74
    JubberClubber White Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Widower
    Posts
    10,824

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by palemale View Post
    I was once sitting on the subway, overhearing a conversation between two women from Texas. They heard the conductor announce the "How-ston" Street stop, and the one women commented about what she perceived to be the mispronunciation of Houston Street. The other women said, "well, "How-ston" Street was here before Houston, Texas existed."

    Houston Street is also a Scottish name.



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston...28Manhattan%29

    I believe Wall Street got its name from fortifications the Dutch built to keep the English out, or perhaps Native Americans.
    I believe you have stumbled upon your pronouncement of Howston. I traced Sam Houston back to Scotland, so maybe Sam's kin changed it just for the fun of it. To keep us talking about who is right.

    Also, our Houston was the first word spoken on another place in the universe.
    BEWARE! Harassing the Indian may result in sudden and severe hair loss.

  25. #75
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,049
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    LOL that is probably my Canadian accent coming through in the way we say "a" as in "wax." I can pick out Americans right away when they say "a" as in "walks" for a lot of words that we would tend to say like "wax." For instance, we don't say "pahhsta" but "pasta." And not Obahhma but Obama.

    The real puzzler is British newscasters who change a's halfway through a word. "Afghanistonn" instead of "Afghanistan." Stan. Like Dorothy Zbornack's ex-husband Stan, from the Golden Girls.

    Okay now you try one of ours: "Iqaluit," capital of Nunavut.
    Please forgive my Texas drawl, but I'd pronounce that as E-qal-you-it, capital of Noon-a-vut.

    How'd I do?
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  26. #76
    IllumiNaughty Overlord. bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    15,400
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by centexfarmer View Post
    Please forgive my Texas drawl, but I'd pronounce that as E-qal-you-it, capital of Noon-a-vut.

    How'd I do?
    No need to apologise. E cal oo eet, noonavoot, is closer to the local pronunciation, but I doubt most Canadians would even say it like that unless they're from the north. Down south I mostly hear "ikALLA wit" and Noonavœt or Noonavit.

    Which I'm sure makes northerners cringe as much as you mentioned in your example.

    just don't spell it with a "U." Iqualuit apparently means "city of shit" which our Prime Minister learned after a poorly proof-read press release went out describing his visit there.
    Last edited by bankside; November 22nd, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte.

  27. #77
    JUB Addict Lestatnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Holbrook
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    23,934

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by rareboy View Post
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

    I believe that the US did not actually 'win' the War of 1812. Just sayin'.
    That's true. I think history calls it a draw, & a foolish war. Some states here in New England (there we go again, stealing other people's place names, LOL), MA, RI, NH, CT talked of secession

    For an interesting take on the War of 1812, try

    Mr & Mrs Madison's War: America's 1st Couple & the 2nd War for Independence by Hugh Howard

  28. #78
    JUB Addict Lestatnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Holbrook
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    23,934

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by palemale View Post
    It is also interesting to note that Texas names its largest city after the street in Manhattan that forms the boundary between Greenwich Village and Soho on the west side of the island, and the East Village and Lower East Side on the east side of the island. I am talking about Houston Street, of course. Texans don't pronounce it correctly, though. We call it How-ston Street, with the accent on the first syllable, not You-ston, with no accent on either syllable. When are y'all in Texas going to learn how to speak English properly?
    Actually, Houston St in NYC was named for a man named William Houstoun, Houston, TX is named for Sam Houston.

    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Street_(Manhattan)[/url

    He was a GA delegate to the Continental Convention, & ended up marrying Mary Bayard, a member of one of NY's prominet families, whose farm was located near Houston St. He's buried in St Paul's Chapel in NYUC]

  29. #79
    IllumiNaughty Overlord. bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    15,400
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Canadians have the same argument over "Lougheed."

    In Alberta, he was perhaps our most competent and well-respected Premier since Confederation. Pronounced Law Heed. In British Columbia it's the name of a street and a bunch of other stuff pronounced Low Heed. I did quite the double-take the first time I heard that.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte.

  30. #80
    JUB Addict Lestatnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Holbrook
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    23,934

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    ^^^^Oops & you already said that. Damn system won't let me edit.

    I came from the part of NJ where my "accent" was taken for mid west (no accent) to MA! Many friends were from Hudson & Bergin (Boigen) counties, talk about accents. In Boigen county, you have a terlet berl in your BR, you go to Joisey City, & park your cahr in Jernal Sqah. We were told that the NYC (especially "DA BRONX" & Queens & N NJ & MA accents somehow are traced back to Merry Ole England. Do we have any "origins of English" teachers/students here?

    When I first moved here, I asked a new friend where Pea Body was. She laughed & said PeBuddy? & Natick, where the late great Al Parker grew up is prounced NADICK (maybe in his honor?)

  31. #81
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    9,502

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    God, Telly started a thread that turned into something.

    Try pronouncing "Calais," Maine, as a Mainer. Also Bangor (hint: not like the Weather Channel does).

  32. #82
    IllumiNaughty Overlord. bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    15,400
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Kal ay rhymes with hay?
    And bang gore (maybe that should be a thread in the fetish/CEP forum)
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte.

  33. #83
    JubberClubber White Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Corpus Christi Tx
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Widower
    Posts
    10,824

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lestatnj View Post
    ^^^^Oops & you already said that. Damn system won't let me edit.

    I came from the part of NJ where my "accent" was taken for mid west (no accent) to MA! Many friends were from Hudson & Bergin (Boigen) counties, talk about accents. In Boigen county, you have a terlet berl in your BR, you go to Joisey City, & park your cahr in Jernal Sqah. We were told that the NYC (especially "DA BRONX" & Queens & N NJ & MA accents somehow are traced back to Merry Ole England. Do we have any "origins of English" teachers/students here?

    When I first moved here, I asked a new friend where Pea Body was. She laughed & said PeBuddy? & Natick, where the late great Al Parker grew up is prounced NADICK (maybe in his honor?)
    Whoever said New Joisey reminded me. My last 3 years in HS I had an English teacher from New Joisey. I had a hell of a time trying to get people to believe I was from Texas. That accent stayed with me for years.
    BEWARE! Harassing the Indian may result in sudden and severe hair loss.

  34. #84

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lestatnj View Post
    ^^^^Oops & you already said that. Damn system won't let me edit.

    I came from the part of NJ where my "accent" was taken for mid west (no accent) to MA! Many friends were from Hudson & Bergin (Boigen) counties, talk about accents. In Boigen county, you have a terlet berl in your BR, you go to Joisey City, & park your cahr in Jernal Sqah. We were told that the NYC (especially "DA BRONX" & Queens & N NJ & MA accents somehow are traced back to Merry Ole England. Do we have any "origins of English" teachers/students here?

    When I first moved here, I asked a new friend where Pea Body was. She laughed & said PeBuddy? & Natick, where the late great Al Parker grew up is prounced NADICK (maybe in his honor?)
    I'd say the accent is more Irish. The quintessential NY working class accent is often illustrated by the statement, "meet me at toity-tird and tird." The Irish do not pronounce the "h" in "th." Usually, the "th" sound is simply expressed as a hard "t."

  35. #85
    JUB Addict maxpowr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,637
    Blog Entries
    3

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lestatnj View Post
    That's true. I think history calls it a draw, & a foolish war. Some states here in New England (there we go again, stealing other people's place names, LOL), MA, RI, NH, CT talked of secession

    For an interesting take on the War of 1812, try

    Mr & Mrs Madison's War: America's 1st Couple & the 2nd War for Independence by Hugh Howard
    Again these nonsensical AP USH facts but Nova Scotia almost became a US state with Maine. Nova Scotia heavily battled England and the US armies had to eventually divert their forces south and westward and Britain was able to retain the island. It's why the region has a heavy devotion to things related to New England. However, New Brunswick was heavily settled by former British loyalists after the American Revolution that prevented the US from aiding Nova Scotia due the loyalists controlling the Bay of Fundy.

  36. #86
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,049
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by maxpowr9 View Post
    Again these nonsensical AP USH facts but Nova Scotia almost became a US state with Maine. Nova Scotia heavily battled England and the US armies had to eventually divert their forces south and westward and Britain was able to retain the island. It's why the region has a heavy devotion to things related to New England. However, New Brunswick was heavily settled by former British loyalists after the American Revolution that prevented the US from aiding Nova Scotia due the loyalists controlling the Bay of Fundy.
    And as much as I thought that I knew about Early American Colonial History?

    It wasn't until a drive up to a friends beach house in Lubec, Maine a couple of summers ago that I stumbled upon these "historical sites" which clearly showed the conflict between the U.S. and Canadian Border, and all of the parties that were involved, and WHY.

    And was even more surprised to discover the divergence between "Upstate Maine" and New Brunswick.

    "Upstate Maine" is some backwater, while New Brunswick and all of the towns within it, could easily be confused with lower Connecticut, U.S.A.



    WTH?
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  37. #87
    Seeking a free country
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    96,713
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    So if Nova Scotia suddenly magically became a US state, what would that do to the Electoral College?

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  38. #88
    JUB 10k Club
    CTF's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    El corazón de Tejas
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Dating
    Posts
    20,049
    Blog Entries
    23

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    So if Nova Scotia suddenly magically became a US state, what would that do to the Electoral College?
    Let us deal with Puerto Rico first, shall we?
    Never regret anything, because in that moment it's exactly what you wanted.

  39. #89
    JUB Addict maxpowr9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    8,637
    Blog Entries
    3

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    So if Nova Scotia suddenly magically became a US state, what would that do to the Electoral College?
    Puerto Rico would be first in actuality and that's for Congress to decide not me.

    Centex, for even more obscure USH, Cuba was almost a US state too. James Buchanan (people write about the "great" presidents like Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson etc., but if you want your history sordid, Buchanan is your man. Not to mention he was the first "closeted" President.) was in talks with Spain to buy the colony from them (look up Ostend Manifesto). If the Civil War never happened, Cuba would have been a US state.

  40. #90
    Do I dare to eat a peach?
    palbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Coastal Downeast Maine
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    9,502

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Because there are a limited number of names so we have to re-cycle.

  41. #91
    Keeland
    Guest

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by centexfarmer View Post
    Do you not accept the fact that Britian was once GREAT because the Empire once controlled more than 3/4 of the GLOBE???
    That's not the reason. It's called Great Britain for the same reason "greater" is tacked on to some cities that officially or otherwise have merged into one entity — the greater London area, the greater New York City area, the greater Toronto area, the greater Armpit, Sask., area.

    Britain refers to England and Wales. The Union with Scotland in 1707 formed Great Britain. The "Great" in the name simply refers to the larger land mass. As then and of now it NEVER referes [sic] to any political, economic or military greatness as most of the world seems to think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestatnj View Post
    When I went to school in the 50s, when Rea, er Ike was president, I remember they showed us a world map. where every country of the Briish Commonwealth/Empire (it still existed, in Africa) were pink.
    Any teacher who taught that Britain is called great because of it's empire was wrong.

  42. #92
    JUB Addict Lestatnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Holbrook
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    23,934

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by Keeland View Post
    Any teacher who taught that Britain is called great because of it's empire was wrong.
    Uh, where did I say that? No teacher taught us about the origin of "Great Britain". It was the "British Empire" not the "Great British Empire, & TMK, the origins of Great Britain were never discussed. Most of what I learned of European & English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish history I've read in the (many, sob!) years since school.

  43. #93
    Seeking a free country
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    96,713
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    And if it was all purple, it would be Grape Britain.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  44. #94
    Are u haleloo ya ? Telstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    27,787

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    This thread has been taken over by Americans now LOL
    I have no interest in this anymore.


    NEVER LISTEN TO A ONE SIDED STORY AND JUDGE.

  45. #95
    IllumiNaughty Overlord. bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    15,400
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by Telstra View Post
    This thread has been taken over by Americans now LOL
    I have no interest in this anymore.
    Wait. Am I missing the satire in that remark?

    You made a thread about the US. I find it embarrassing for Americans when they think the internet is all about them. And I find it dispiriting when people from other countries focus on the US when on a given subject, their own country or some other country might be of greater relevance/interest/magnificence/excellence.

    But when you make a thread about the US (and despite its unwarranted attention, there are still certainly interesting things about the States worth discussing) it makes sense for Americans to respond.
    Americans need to keep their guns so they can protect themselves from gun violence just like Nancy Lanza did. And like Chris Kyle did. And like Gabby Giffords did. And like Tom Clements did. And like Michael Piemonte.

  46. #96
    Are u haleloo ya ? Telstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    27,787

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    Wait. Am I missing the satire in that remark?

    You made a thread about the US. I find it embarrassing for Americans when they think the internet is all about them. And I find it dispiriting when people from other countries focus on the US when on a given subject, their own country or some other country might be of greater relevance/interest/magnificence/excellence.

    But when you make a thread about the US (and despite its unwarranted attention, there are still certainly interesting things about the States worth discussing) it makes sense for Americans to respond.
    I'm just saying i have no interest/not interested in this thread anymore. Thats all.
    No satire intended.


    NEVER LISTEN TO A ONE SIDED STORY AND JUDGE.

  47. #97
    Seeking a free country
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    96,713
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by Telstra View Post
    This thread has been taken over by Americans now LOL
    I have no interest in this anymore.
    Um... you invited us. Now you're leaving your own party because we came?

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  48. #98
    Are u haleloo ya ? Telstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    27,787

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    Um... you invited us. Now you're leaving your own party because we came?
    oh dear, i said i'm not interested in this thread.
    You guys can go on and talk.


    I'll keep skipping thro if anything interest to me.


    NEVER LISTEN TO A ONE SIDED STORY AND JUDGE.

  49. #99
    Seeking a free country
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    96,713
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by Telstra View Post
    oh dear, i said i'm not interested in this thread.
    You guys can go on and talk.


    I'll keep skipping thro if anything interest to me.
    You said you're not interested because it's filled up with Americans. Was that an excuse, or what?

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  50. #100
    Are u haleloo ya ? Telstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    27,787

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do the US use names from all around the world ??? [SPLIT]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    You said you're not interested because it's filled up with Americans. Was that an excuse, or what?
    mmmm its not nice of me not to respond.
    But here ...


    NEVER LISTEN TO A ONE SIDED STORY AND JUDGE.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About JustUsBoys.com | Site Map | RSS | Webmasters | Advertise | Link to JUB | Report A Bug on this Page

Visit our sister sites: Broke Straight Boys | CollegeDudes.com | CollegeBoyPhysicals.com | RocketTube
All models appearing on JustUsBoys.com were over 18 at the time of photography. The records for sexually explicit images required by U.S. 2257 are kept by the
individual producers of the images. The location of the records is available by clicking the Custodian of Records link at the bottom of each gallery page.
© 2012 JustUsBoys.com. The JustUsBoys.com name and logo are registered trademarks. Labeled with ICRA and RTA. Member of ASACP and The Free Speech Coalition.