JustUsBoys.com gay porn forum

logo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 58 of 58
  1. #51
    PerScientiam AdJustitiam bankside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Beware the deepity.
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Married (to a man)
    Posts
    17,487
    Blog Entries
    2

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Florida called for Obama, adding 29 electoral votes to bring his total to 332

    Quote Originally Posted by skinIsIn View Post
    Guys, please don't forget...part of the problem is most people fail to realize is that the House of Representatives was set at an arbritary, happenstance number of 435 seats! Some time in the early 20th century (debated in the 20's; inacted in the midst of the Depression) the congressmen representing agrarian, rural districts of various states, were able to halt indefinitely the growth cycle of Congress (~30-40 years,) stifling the "influence" of the rapidly urbanization of the US. We were saddled with "re-apportionment," basically causing diminished representation, over time. In Germany, Great Britain, Canada (and many other nations) have way more parliamentarian representation per person than Americans do in Congress. To have our true voices heard, a population of 280 million needs more proportional standing within the "so called" House of Representatives

    BTW: Congressional terms are too short: they should be three years with a "three strikes you're out" term limit (max. 9 years) maybe with a staggered election cycle similar to the Senate...

    What are your thoughts, gentleman?
    The US is 9 times bigger than Canada. We'll have 338 Members of Parliament at the next election, compared to 435 Members of the House of Representatives in the States. Do you really want 3042 people elected to the HoR?

    I like the quality of representation in Canada, but after a while, you need a limit. With thousands of representatives, it just becomes a little ridiculous, and having a "local" representative wouldn't matter because they'd just be drowned out in a sea of other politicians.

    Also, our MPs are elected for 5 years with no term limits. That is definitely an improvement over your system with constant electioneering.

    US elections go back to the people so frequently it seems ill-suited to the magnitude of the task we ask them to do. They need a track record to run on if our votes are going to have any meaning, and you just can't do that in 2 years.

  2. #52
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    104,398
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Florida called for Obama, adding 29 electoral votes to bring his total to 332

    Quote Originally Posted by Rolyo85 View Post
    I'd be more worried about Texas defining the country's textbooks... Anyway, my argument is that states aren't equal and they should not be treated equally. Should some of them have total dominance over the rest? Hell no, and I'd like to think there are mechanisms to deal with that. But should we also enforce fake uniformity? Absolutely not.
    Of course states are equal -- they're all states.

    BTW, you're the one arguing for uniformity -- enforced by coercion of the tyranny of the majority.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  3. #53
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    104,398
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Florida called for Obama, adding 29 electoral votes to bring his total to 332

    Quote Originally Posted by skinIsIn View Post
    Guys, please don't forget...part of the problem is most people fail to realize is that the House of Representatives was set at an arbritary, happenstance number of 435 seats! Some time in the early 20th century (debated in the 20's; inacted in the midst of the Depression) the congressmen representing agrarian, rural districts of various states, were able to halt indefinitely the growth cycle of Congress (~30-40 years,) stifling the "influence" of the rapidly urbanization of the US. We were saddled with "re-apportionment," basically causing diminished representation, over time. In Germany, Great Britain, Canada (and many other nations) have way more parliamentarian representation per person than Americans do in Congress. To have our true voices heard, a population of 280 million needs more proportional standing within the "so called" House of Representatives

    BTW: Congressional terms are too short: they should be three years with a "three strikes you're out" term limit (max. 9 years) maybe with a staggered election cycle similar to the Senate...

    What are your thoughts, gentleman?
    The size of the House should be doubled.

    Representation should be proportional within each state delegation.

    Terms are fine, just pass the "Private Sector Act" amending the Constitution to require time equal to or greater in the private sector before serving in Congress (and government-related activities don't count).

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  4. #54
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    104,398
    Blog Entries
    78

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Florida called for Obama, adding 29 electoral votes to bring his total to 332

    Quote Originally Posted by bankside View Post
    The US is 9 times bigger than Canada. We'll have 338 Members of Parliament at the next election, compared to 435 Members of the House of Representatives in the States. Do you really want 3042 people elected to the HoR?

    I like the quality of representation in Canada, but after a while, you need a limit. With thousands of representatives, it just becomes a little ridiculous, and having a "local" representative wouldn't matter because they'd just be drowned out in a sea of other politicians.

    Also, our MPs are elected for 5 years with no term limits. That is definitely an improvement over your system with constant electioneering.

    US elections go back to the people so frequently it seems ill-suited to the magnitude of the task we ask them to do. They need a track record to run on if our votes are going to have any meaning, and you just can't do that in 2 years.
    What's ridiculous about a legislature with three thousand members? Better to have an actula local representative than, as is the case for most people now, no real representation at all.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  5. #55
    FEAR THE LIBERAL DETENTE! TX-Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    9,067

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Florida called for Obama, adding 29 electoral votes to bring his total to 332

    3000 members? Can you actually fit that many in the House chamber?

    Seems to me that may be a bit much, I think that probably there is a tipping point where you actually get gridlock simply from the deafening noise of three thousand politicians.

    My initial reaction is to shudder at the thought of a 3000 member House of representatives.
    ATTACK OF THE LIBERAL ELITE

  6. #56
    stop the bullshit
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    34,775

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Florida called for Obama, adding 29 electoral votes to bring his total to 332

    ^ It would look like the meeting of the Soviet House of representatives.

    The problem with numbers so great is that quite literally, the only way to get anything done would be a dictatorship.

    And God help the Us if there were suddenly 3000 politicians at the federal level being lobbied and paid off.

    I'm not totally happy with the increase of the numbers of parliamentarians in the Canadian Federal government. Frankly, I don't think that it matters if one MP is representing 100,000 or 150,000 people.

  7. #57
    Execuvette Rolyo85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Boystown, Chicago
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    8,931

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Florida called for Obama, adding 29 electoral votes to bring his total to 332

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    Of course states are equal -- they're all states.

    BTW, you're the one arguing for uniformity -- enforced by coercion of the tyranny of the majority.
    Yes, because all the big states share a similar goal.

    Also, the tyranny of the majority is what any modern democracy is. The fact that gay marriage is still illegal in 32 states is the tyranny of the majority.
    That we are capable only of being what we are, remains our unforgivable sin.
    - Gene Wolfe

  8. #58
    FEAR THE LIBERAL DETENTE! TX-Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Austin
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Open Relationship
    Posts
    9,067

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Florida called for Obama, adding 29 electoral votes to bring his total to 332

    We actually have the government structure we have (including the Electoral College) because our founding fathers had a (somewhat justified it turns out) fear of the "common man." and what people like OxyRush might do with them. If we went to a straight up proportional sytem, there is no guarantee that it won't be turned on us.

    Personally I like the fact that there ARE checks on runaway legislation in our Gov. - and it's to be remembered that the history of Civil rights in the country is a judicial one, not a legislative one.

    It may be tyranny of the majority that gay marriage is still illegal in so many places, but it wasn't tyranny of the majority that got it's constitutional ban on all gay marriage also.
    ATTACK OF THE LIBERAL ELITE

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About JustUsBoys.com | Site Map | RSS | Webmasters | Advertise | Link to JUB | Report A Bug on this Page

Visit our sister sites: Broke Straight Boys | CollegeDudes.com | CollegeBoyPhysicals.com | RocketTube
All models appearing on JustUsBoys.com were over 18 at the time of photography. The records for sexually explicit images required by U.S. 2257 are kept by the
individual producers of the images. The location of the records is available by clicking the Custodian of Records link at the bottom of each gallery page.
© 2012 JustUsBoys.com. The JustUsBoys.com name and logo are registered trademarks. Labeled with ICRA and RTA. Member of ASACP and The Free Speech Coalition.