Free Gay Sex Photos, Movies, Reviews and Forums at JustUsBoys
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    auribus teneo lupum Stardreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married
    Location
    Over the Hedge and Under the Hill
    Posts
    3,521


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    A Tax Deduction Cap, good idea?

    Finally realizing that 'we'll let congress work it out' wasn't going to cut it for the tax deductions and loopholes he plans to cut to make his tax plan deficit neutral, Romney floated some ideas now on how he might go about it. One the ideas he floated he called the deduction 'bucket' which is essentially putting a cap on the deductions you can take. His plan is set the limit at $17,000. Under this plan, you can take any combination of deductions you want but once your total deductions reach $17,000; that is all you get, you can't take any more.

    Now I don't know if this suggestion would balance the equation with the rest of Romney's plan (critics are highly doubtful) but I'm not really interested in that point here. I'm interested in this idea in and of itself, is implementing a tax deduction cap a good idea? It sounds like a fair idea that would affect higher income earners more than lower income earners and should raise considerable revenue. Should we implement something like this (regardless of who wins) and is $17,000 the right figure or should it be higher or lower? What do you think?
    Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right. H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)

  2. #2
    JUB Addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11,062


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: A Tax Deduction Cap, good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stardreamer View Post
    Finally realizing that 'we'll let congress work it out' wasn't going to cut it for the tax deductions and loopholes he plans to cut to make his tax plan deficit neutral, Romney floated some ideas now on how he might go about it. One the ideas he floated he called the deduction 'bucket' which is essentially putting a cap on the deductions you can take. His plan is set the limit at $17,000. Under this plan, you can take any combination of deductions you want but once your total deductions reach $17,000; that is all you get, you can't take any more.

    Now I don't know if this suggestion would balance the equation with the rest of Romney's plan (critics are highly doubtful) but I'm not really interested in that point here. I'm interested in this idea in and of itself, is implementing a tax deduction cap a good idea? It sounds like a fair idea that would affect higher income earners more than lower income earners and should raise considerable revenue. Should we implement something like this (regardless of who wins) and is $17,000 the right figure or should it be higher or lower? What do you think?
    Bear in mind the limitation in practice would limit mostly the deductions for state taxes paid and charitable limitation. Congress will not want to limit either, so the resulting limitation would not mean much.

  3. #3
    auribus teneo lupum Stardreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Married
    Location
    Over the Hedge and Under the Hill
    Posts
    3,521


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: A Tax Deduction Cap, good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Benvolio View Post
    Bear in mind the limitation in practice would limit mostly the deductions for state taxes paid and charitable limitation. Congress will not want to limit either, so the resulting limitation would not mean much.
    The idea as I've seen it put forward applies to all deductions including the home mortgage deduction. One critic of the $17,000 figure pointed out that you don't have to be too rich to have your mortgage deduction alone to reach it.
    Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right. H. L. Mencken US editor (1880 - 1956)

  4. #4
    Bammer's Papa
    Kulindahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Location
    on the foggy, damp, redneck Oregon coast
    Posts
    106,326
    Blog Entries
    79


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: A Tax Deduction Cap, good idea?

    I'd rather start with ending the practice of allowing donations to churches as deductions. That amounts to government funding of religion. Charitable deductions should have to serve a secular purpose.

    "Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

    --Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

    *the number is now forty

  5. #5
    JUB Addict
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    11,062


    Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

    Re: A Tax Deduction Cap, good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    I'd rather start with ending the practice of allowing donations to churches as deductions. That amounts to government funding of religion. Charitable deductions should have to serve a secular purpose.
    Taxing people on the income they give to churches would be a tax on the "free exercize" of religion, prohibited by our Constitution.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •