Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7111213 LastLast
    in the grickle grass
    Orientation
    Gay
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Re: BOOKS: What are you reading?

Nancy Farmer's The Lord of Opium (2013) didn't live up to the excellence of its predecessor The House of the Scorpion, mired in an onerous moralism, though still a good entertainment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	1212628
    Bactrian Camel
    The worst thing...is not energy depletion, economic collapse, conventional war, or the expansion of totalitarian governments. As terrible as these catastrophes would be for us, they can be repaired in a few generations. The one process now going on that will take millions of years to correct is loss of genetic and species diversity by the destruction of natural habitats. This is the folly our descendants are least likely to forgive us.--e.o. wilson

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Aesop's Fables
    "Nobody's 'upposed to touch me where my bathing suit covers!" - Tardy Turtle.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Nevertheless By Alec Baldwin

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Just finished Buddha by Depak Chopra

currently reading a history of Spain

oh -- and before that, Neal Stephenson's Seveneves, in which I found an astounding error in high-school level physics!

"Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

--Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

*the number is now forty

in the grickle grass
    Orientation
    Gay
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Ian McGuire's The North Water (2016).

A veteran of mayhem encounters even more on a whaling expedition to Greenland.

Name:	61qEq7s02uL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	1215048

A terrifically entertaining account of the 19th century.

Blood-soaked snow, intrigue, villainy and mystery.
    Bactrian Camel
    The worst thing...is not energy depletion, economic collapse, conventional war, or the expansion of totalitarian governments. As terrible as these catastrophes would be for us, they can be repaired in a few generations. The one process now going on that will take millions of years to correct is loss of genetic and species diversity by the destruction of natural habitats. This is the folly our descendants are least likely to forgive us.--e.o. wilson

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Not sure if I posted this before but Brother Odd. I'm really enjoying the Odd Thomas books a good read that is enjoyable and easy yet still scary and exciting with a likable hero and supporting cast.

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Gore Vidal by Ed Kaplan

Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Grimm's Fairytales
    Alice's Avdentures in Wonderland

in the grickle grass
    Orientation
    Gay
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

The Children of Hurin (2007) by the Tolkiens is in an extended episode in the style of The Silmarillion. As an excursion, it's always a pleasure to marvel at J.R.R. Tolkien's imagination, though this book lacks the breadth and splendor of The Silmarillion. His more popular works feel like the unfolding of a world, this merely a tale.
    Bactrian Camel

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

One of my favorite series by one of my favorite authors, MOON SHIMMERS (book 19) of the Otherworld Series by Yasmine Galenorn.

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

"The Tao Te Ching"

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Ben Bova's five novels about exploring the solar system. I've read three of them before and didn't realize they were part of a series. It's good science and great fiction.

"Thirty-one* states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

*the number is now forty

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

The Witching Hour By Anne Rice

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Confucian Analects ,

JUB Addict

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Beyond the Fields: Slavery at Middleton Place
    Barbara Doyle et al.

Quotes:

"For the Anglo-Barbadians, including the two Middleton brothers, who arrived in Charleston to take advantage of the broader opportunities offered by the new colony of Carolina, the pattern of plantation slave labor was well entrenched. It was a pattern the Middletons would adhere to for the next 200 years as they acquired land and developed their South Carolina plantation system.

"In the ensuing years Edward and his descendants, supported by a large slave-labor force, developed the Middleton family plantation network that included...plantations throughout South Carolina, encompassing in all some 63,000 acres with approximately 3,500 slaves.

"As the rice industry grew, so did the need for more laborers to work the rice fields, especially workers experienced in cultivating the grain. That meant the importation of increasing numbers of slaves the western coast of Africa...In this region the inhabitants had been growing and consuming rice for centuries.

"Through inherent survival instincts, courage and resilience, most of the enslaved who did arrive in South Carolina gradually adapted to their unfortunate circumstances...In the process they created the Gullah-Geechee culture in South Carolina and Georgia that evolved from the traditions of West African and Central African coasts. By the time direct importation of slaves from Africa was made illegal in the 19th century, most of the bondsmen sold in Charleston were "country-born" in North America or the Caribbean islands. They, as well as their purchasers, were by then products of a changed, but common environment."
    Last edited by LatimerRd; May 3rd, 2017 at 02:22 PM.

JUB Addict

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Carolina Gold Rice: The Ebb and Flow History of a Lowcountry Cash Crop
    Richard Schulze

"Carolina Gold, the celebrated variety of rice established in the South Carolina Lowcountry, perhaps saved the fledgling colony at the beginning of the eighteenth century and remained integral to the local economy for nearly two hundred years. However, the labor required to produce it encouraged the establishment of slavery, ultimately contributing to the region's economic collapse following the Civil War.

"Richard Schulze, who reintroduced this crop in South Carolina after nearly a century's absence, provides this fascinating inside story of an industry that helped build some of the largest fortunes in America. Drawing on both historical research and personal experience, Schulze reveals the legacy of this once-forgotten Lowcountry icon."

JUB Addict

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^
    I started these books last week while staying at Middleton Place Plantation outside of Charleston, South Carolina.

https://www.middletonplace.org/

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Name:	11016226.jpg 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	1218516
    Last edited by patrickj; May 3rd, 2017 at 05:29 PM.

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

The World's Religions

Still in the heavy-duty introduction, the level of which promises a much better experience than the brief survey course I took in college long ago.

*the number is now forty

JUB Addict

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Wabi-Sabi by Leonard Koren

"Wabi-sabi is a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete. It is a beauty of things modest and humble. It is a beauty of things unconventional."

--from the Introduction

JUB Addict

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^
    Koren's done interesting work.

http://www.leonardkoren.com/

Slippery When Wet
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I just downloaded The Forest of Forever by Rob Blackwell onto my Kindle. The combination of mystery, fantasy, and suspense is definitely not my genre -- however, the book intrigues me and I'm looking forward to the read.

Name:	51o5o0jyabL.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	1219068
    "Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it..." Goethe

in the grickle grass
    Orientation
    Gay
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Kulindahr View Post
    The World's Religions

Still in the heavy-duty introduction, the level of which promises a much better experience than the brief survey course I took in college long ago.
    I think this is a good choice, though I haven't personally read it. Huston Smith is well-regarded and will treat his subjects charitably. Apparently, he practiced Vedanta, Sufism and Zen at different points in his life under the guidance of people in those traditions. Of course, the book was first published in 1958 and there's been a lot of scholarship in the meantime that has simply up-ended some of the notions that were common 50 years ago. So there's that. But as a point of departure from someone who was born outside the traditions he's writing about it's probably reasonable.

I would be interested in watching the show he did with Bill Moyers.
    Bactrian Camel

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Finished reading Into The Water By Paula Hawkins a few days ago. I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as her first book The Girl On The Train.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett. Almost done with it though, will be starting the next book in the series soon.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Barbarian Days/A Surfing Life by William Finnegan (2015)

A worldwide travel guide in search of the best waves.

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Partnered

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

"The Doctrine of the Mean"

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

I'm gonna do a little self promo. I had a collection of short stories, titled Safe Sex, published with an indie press a few months ago if anyone's interested. Here's a summary:
    Safe Sex is hardly ever safe. A confused drifter crosses paths with a charismatic hustler and ends up at teenager’s house. A grad school dropout struggles to make sense of her life and figure out how to live harmoniously with her boyfriend. A lonely gay man stuck in Kansas begins a sexual and emotional relationship with a straight woman. A high school girl, reeling after the suicide of a former friend she taunted, seeks understanding from her fundamentalist Christian aunt and then a classmate. A gay man struggles with expressing the psychological implications of living with HIV as he cuts himself off from family and friends. A white man—haunted by a past transgression— investigates the murder of a Black trans woman and the lack of police interest, discovering the world isn’t as neat as he believes. This collection—five stories and a novella—explores the intersections of gender, race, orientation, religion, secularism, sex and death, attempting to make sense of what it means to be an American in the 21st century.

The book's available via Amazon or Barnes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/09976..._dp_0997694319

Status
    Available
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by MakeDigitalLove View Post
    Grimm's Fairytales
    Alice's Avdentures in Wonderland
    For the first, which addition? I bought a book of them years ago, bit pricey due to the age of it. Was fascinating. Gutenberg is free, but despite the print not being accessible, old books smell the best.

I'm finishing The Scar by China Meiville.
    “I'm not cruel, sir, I won't shoot you in the guts, but I will make you realize how much you took your toes for granted.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Snuff

Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

The Divine Comedy, a couple of English classics with which I got bored, some philosophy books, and Leaves of Grass.

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by zoltanspawn View Post
    I think this is a good choice, though I haven't personally read it. Huston Smith is well-regarded and will treat his subjects charitably. Apparently, he practiced Vedanta, Sufism and Zen at different points in his life under the guidance of people in those traditions. Of course, the book was first published in 1958 and there's been a lot of scholarship in the meantime that has simply up-ended some of the notions that were common 50 years ago. So there's that. But as a point of departure from someone who was born outside the traditions he's writing about it's probably reasonable.

I would be interested in watching the show he did with Bill Moyers.
    It's superb. It's a bit of a shock to me, as when I last did reading on major religions the focus at the time was on how-many-gods, what are its rituals, how it mangles society; this is focused on core principles and understanding of the world.

*the number is now forty

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Presently working my way through Dreadnought: Britain, Germany, and the Coming of the Great War, in about 1200 pages in the eBook edition. It covers all the major international figures, the national politics, military developments, and more, showing how German arrogance and British imperialism were two poles of a Europe that saw itself as the core and epitome of civilization, especially how German militarism and the British doctrine of global naval supremacy led to tension and finally conflict.

*the number is now forty

Slippery When Wet
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Has anyone read "Dear Cyborgs" by Eugene Lim yet?

https://www.amazon.com/Dear-Cyborgs-...s=dear+cyborgs

The reviews I've read have intrigued me -- but there are no "real person" reviews out yet.
    "Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it..." Goethe

Bammer's Papa
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

^
    For the last two days, no link to Amazon that I've clicked works....

*the number is now forty

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

David Sedaris: Theft By Finding Diaries 1977-2002

in the grickle grass
    Orientation
    Gay
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Carson McCuller's The Heart is a Lonely Hunter (1940). Much praised by many, but a little too measured for my taste.
    Bactrian Camel

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

The Skull Beneath the Skin, by P.D. James. I love her novels.

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

A Cookie Mueller Encyclopedia

Name:	51Pht1PgBWL.jpg 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	1225947

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Diana Her True Story - In Her Own Words Fully Revised 25th Anniversary Edition By Andrew Morton

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace by Gore Vidal

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Forward the Foundation by Issac Asimov.

Been looking for this for some years as I have all the other books in the series. I could fo ordered it online, btu I just enjoy going into a bookshop more to get my books...

Slut

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

A Hiss before dying By Rita mae Brown and sneaky pie brown

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph

in the grickle grass
    Orientation
    Gay
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Limenade View Post
    Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph

Did you read this primarily for the gay angle? Or does it draw any comparisons to other South Asian lit?
    Bactrian Camel

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo By Stieg Larsson. Re-reading this series before the 5th one comes out in a few months.

in the grickle grass
    Orientation
    Gay
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

As I Lay Dying (1930) by William Faulkner. The misfortunes of a country family from Yoknapatawpha County grow as they drive their Mother's corpse to her resting place.

Name:	370dd59b8f45bf6ef64de8a55db497b3.jpg 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	1230585
    Bactrian Camel

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Robert Downey Jr : The Fall and Rise of the Comeback Kid By Ben Falk

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Available

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by zoltanspawn View Post
    Did you read this primarily for the gay angle? Or does it draw any comparisons to other South Asian lit?
    Zoltanspawn: Sorry, I didn't see your reply until weeks later, but a gay friend recommended it to me primarily as a gay novel. Have you read it?

in the grickle grass
    Orientation
    Gay
    Blog Entries

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Quote Originally Posted by Limenade View Post
    Zoltanspawn: Sorry, I didn't see your reply until weeks later, but a gay friend recommended it to me primarily as a gay novel. Have you read it?
    No, I'm just curious about it. I read a bit of South Asian lit, and not much gay lit. The cross-over though captures my attention. I just don't want to spend my precious reading time on something mediocre if its only merit is its uniqueness. I want to know how good it is.
    Bactrian Camel

Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single

Posts must follow the:
    Code of Conduct

Currently reading IT by Stephen King in preparation for the movie. Enjoying it so far!