JustUsBoys.com gay porn forum

logo

remove these banner ads by becoming a JUB Supporter.

Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

      
   
  1. #1
    Bicho Estranho! hunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    4,469

    Code of Conduct

    Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    For example, the threads about Pluto not beina a planet anylonger because of some scientists said so; Tomato is a fruit because someone said so, and so it goes.

  2. #2
    Strange
    theatreboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Fairfax
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    5,069
    Blog Entries
    25

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    because that's the way that it's been forever basically.
    "mmmyes, this is all true..."

    Ask Me Questions!

    and, yes, these are my eyes.

  3. #3

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Ok first of all, a tomato is a fruit, if you were eating the stem, roots or leaves of the tomato plant, that would be a vegetable.

    Also, there is a need for a universal definition of all things. Or else everything would get confusing and we wouldn't be able to understand each other.

  4. #4
    cozmik
    Guest

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    As humans we like to group things. We group people, places, things. That's just the way humans are. We've created a group called fruits, vegitables, etc. A tomatoe is called a fruit just because it meets the qualifications to be in that group. Same thing with Pluto, except our new definitions and qualifications for being in the group "planet" means Pluto can't be there any more.

    We don't have to accept these things, among others, but we're not going to be in synch with the general population either, cause we still like pre-defined groups cause it requires less thinking.

  5. #5
    The Baroness of Bling
    Swellegant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Oakland (on scenic San Francisco Bay)
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    7,195
    Blog Entries
    30

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    You don't have to accept it. Make up your own definitions.

    However, as so astutely pointed out above, for us to communicate and learn, we have to have establish definitions. If Pluto does not actually match the definition of a planet, then it's not a planet, just as if a dog does not match the definition of a schnauzer, it's not a schnauzer, it's some other kind of dog; if a tomato matches the definition of fruit better than the definition of vegetable, then it's a fruit.

    On the other hand, what difference does it make?

    Whether or not Pluto is a planet or not is completely irrelevant except to anyone studying the solar system; I have no idea what the difference is between a planet and a non-planet... I always assumed planets orbit the sun, that moons orbit planets, and something that does neither is just a rock floating about in space. I've never been to Pluto, I have no idea what it does or doesn't do, and I can't even imagine caring.

    Whether or not a tomato is a fruit or a vegetable only matters if you're counting them for your diet; I can't even tell what characteristics define a fruit versus a vegetable... something about the presence of fructose would be my guess. But tomatoes go in salads and on sandwiches, or fried with a little salt, or in marinara sauce, etc; my definition of a tomato rests on what it's used for.

    So here's the upshot: if you want to make up your own definitions to things, go right ahead, but I have to warn you that it's a lot of work. You have to think the thing all the way through, you see. And it's so much easier to just accept an expert's word on the matter. That's why religion is so popular.

    Keep questioning everything, hunky.

    * Question the Dominant Paradigm *

  6. #6
    I spell spelled spelt
    gsdx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Peterborough Ontario
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    33,453
    Blog Entries
    26

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    We don't, really, Hunky.

    There are still people around who believe the Earth is flat.

    But then, you probably know how those people are treated.

  7. #7
    I don't care
    sb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    8,331
    Blog Entries
    110

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    yeah like why is the colour red, red and not green? and why do they call cars, cars instead of mosquito's?
    and it hurts with every heartbeat......



  8. #8
    slobone
    Guest

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by gsdx View Post
    We don't, really, Hunky.

    There are still people around who believe the Earth is flat.

    But then, you probably know how those people are treated.
    When Americans were asked, how long does it take the earth to go around the sun, 17% said 1 day, and 18% said the sun goes around the earth.

  9. #9
    rainbow2006-01
    Guest

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    There was one thing on youtube where Americans were asked where they should bomb next. The creators of the show made a map but put different names on Australia, like South Korea, France etc. A lot of them said, oooh France looks like a good place to bomb, pointing at Australia. One said South Korea looked bigger than they originally thought, again pointing at Australia. I mean wow!

  10. #10

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by hunky View Post
    For example, the threads about Pluto not beina a planet anylonger because of some scientists said so; Tomato is a fruit because someone said so, and so it goes.
    Expanding on your example: Why do we have to accept that homosexuality is not a disease just because some scientists (American Medical Assoc, Am. Psych Assoc) said so....

    Scientific evidence and informed discussion are not a bad thing per se. In some cases a society changes views on a topic based on evidence. There many things that we now take for granted that are based on scientific evidence (think about seat belt use). At the same time science is far from perfect (insert Nazi doctors or the Tuskegee experiment in Alabama here)

    More than a few crimes have been committed in the name of science but there have been some improvements in the way we explain a few things now compared to a couple of generations ago (think homosexuality, domestic violence, child rearing practices, etc.). At the same time an average person doesn´t have to agree with scientists or even have a basic understanding of the problem. We know that condoms prevent HIV but some decide not to use them for different reasons (or no reason at all). Lack of knowledge, inadequate/incomplete information and conflicting agendas (political, religous) are some additional factors to consider when deciding about pluto, tomatoes or condoms.

  11. #11
    Banned donnykabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ontariooo
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    5,794
    Blog Entries
    4

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    You don't have to accept it. If you don't go along with it, society will just think you are crazy though.

  12. #12
    Imbeciles...
    luminum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    11,229
    Blog Entries
    7

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    I agree with allt he above statements.

    You don't have to accept the standardized definition of planets and fruits and vegetables, but then you have to ask yourself why you've chosen to accept the older definition of planets, fruits, and vegetables.

    You also have to ask yourself then, based on how you feel, shouldn't the asteroid Ceres be a planet? It's just as qualified as Pluto.

    Should bell peppers be fruits or vegetables? Beets? And why?

  13. #13
    Sex God 190E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    510

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Because the guy who created it either makes more money than you, has more connections, or is more powerful and threatening, if none of the above apply, have at it. (satire)

  14. #14
    mowrest20
    Guest

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Okay, I'm confused. Is Pluto a fruit or vegetable?

  15. #15
    In Loving Memory Andreus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    20,470

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    the way we categorize things constantly gets changed, but the reality of them never does

    Pluto will be called something esle in a few hundred years and tomatoes may as welll

    never know

  16. #16

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    an old saying i grew up with "it's just another case of there you are"

  17. #17
    JUB Addict gotdimples77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cuba, NY
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    1,195

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    a tomato is a fruit because it is the result of a polinization of a flower. the flower itself and the rest of the plant not originating from the polinization of a flower is a vegetable

  18. #18
    Temeritous hirsuteness
    Lube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    7,559
    Blog Entries
    34

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    It also depends on context. Nothing is absolute.

    A tomato is a 'fruit' in the scientific sense, as gotdimples77 said: it's the love child of a plant.

    But a tomato is not a 'fruit' in the sense of I'm-going-shopping-at-the-supermarket. It's a vegetable. At the supermarket--or in your kitchen or tummy--a fruit is a sweet thing from a plant. A vegetable is a savory thing from a plant.

    Do you call green beans a fruit? How about corn on the cob? (Technically they may not be fruit; there are finer gradations there I'm sure.)

    Anyone (other than a scientist) who insists on calling a tomato a fruit is either himself a fruit (wacky) or a vegetable (no brain waves).
    The world never changes if you're forever "minding my own business".
    The mindset that no one knows you're gay because you haven't told them,
    is like the dog that thinks you don't see him stealing the steak because he avoids your glance.
    Staying in the closet is like continuing to sit in the back of the bus.
    It's accepting that it's wrong to be who you are.

  19. #19
    gabriel1
    Guest

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by gsdx View Post
    We don't, really, Hunky.

    There are still people around who believe the Earth is flat.

    But then, you probably know how those people are treated.

    *looks in wonderment at gsdx* the Earth ISN'T flat??
    Oh woe is me, woe is me...

  20. #20
    Imbeciles...
    luminum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    11,229
    Blog Entries
    7

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    *looks in wonderment at gsdx* the Earth ISN'T flat??
    Oh woe is me, woe is me...
    Yes, it means that in fact, when people ran away from you and disappeared, they were lying when they said that they had fallen off the edge of the earth and that's why they couldn't hang out with you. Lies!

  21. #21
    Thankfully Liberal & Gay
    frankfrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Illinois (Agent Provocateur and Refujiunderground you can do it)
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    14,849
    Blog Entries
    5

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    You say to-MAY-to, I say to-MAH-to...

    Pluto is neither a fruit nor a vegetable, it's an animal! Arf arf...
    Capitalize when needed. Did you help your Uncle Jack off a horse, or help your uncle jack off a horse?
    AMY'S BOSS: Sorry, I need to lay you and Jack off. AMY: Can you just jack off? I feel like shit today.
    "All legal U. S. residents who are 18 years or older, shall have an unconditional right to vote." - 28th Amendment, US Constitution?
    I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires" - Susan B. Anthony

  22. #22
    hangin around douseiai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Austin
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    2,374
    Blog Entries
    12

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by hunky View Post
    For example, the threads about Pluto not beina a planet anylonger because of some scientists said so; Tomato is a fruit because someone said so, and so it goes.
    ok here i go....
    pluto is a planet... however it is in the category of dwarf planet...
    tomato is a fruit because of the definition of fruit... which is a matured ovum... aka it comes from a flower...
    the reason we go by what other people say is so that we can have a clear definition of what things are... the reason we made pluto a dwarf planet is because we finally have a real definition of a planet... your talking about factual issues not opinions... we base facts by what science proves... i'm not saying you have to believe everything you hear from scientist... but for pointless issues like if pluto is a planet or not thats just stupid... why should you even care? it doesn't affect you... and if someone tells you pluto is a planet... well lets tell them the requirements to get planet statis... basically spherical, orbits a star (or our sun), and clears debris from its orbital pathway... pluto fits in 2 of those but not the third... it does not clear up debris from its orbit neptunre does... and tomato... well tomato here ya go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato

    your first statement i am sorry to say is kinda silly if not stupid... if we didn't define things through methodology of science and other ways then well... we wouldn't have dictionaries... i could call my teacher an assmonkey because thats my word for teacher... we need things defined so we have comonalities so that we might communicate better.... as well as explore our galaxy and planet better... science isn't trying to push things aside... they merely want the most specific definition for things so that we can more easily define other thigns
    Mine is the Earth and the sword in the stone, Mine is the throne for the idol
    One fleeting moment, and it is all gone, Crownless again Will I fall?

  23. #23
    JUB Addict irish1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Partnered
    Posts
    1,933

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow2006-01 View Post
    There was one thing on youtube where Americans were asked where they should bomb next. The creators of the show made a map but put different names on Australia, like South Korea, France etc. A lot of them said, oooh France looks like a good place to bomb, pointing at Australia. One said South Korea looked bigger than they originally thought, again pointing at Australia. I mean wow!
    I wish that they had said "Nowhere".

  24. #24
    The old familiar sting blackbeltninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cape Town; the arse-end of the Dark Continent
    Gender
    Male
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    9,096
    Blog Entries
    17

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by luminum View Post
    Should bell peppers be fruits or vegetables? Beets? And why?
    Anything containing seeds is a fruit - I presume bell peppers fall into here, unless our bell peppers and your bell peppers are two different things of course.

    A beet is a vegetable, i think, like an onion - you're eating the root.

    -d-
    Members: [insert appropriate/relevant wise saying or deep thought here]
    Thank you.


    I hope you get this message.
    Comments welcome.

  25. #25
    Imbeciles...
    luminum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    Orientation
    Gay
    Status
    Single
    Posts
    11,229
    Blog Entries
    7

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    I was going based on his definition that fruits were sweet and vegetables were not.

  26. #26
    Currently observing blooeyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Orientation
    Bisexual
    Posts
    1,167

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Quote Originally Posted by hunky View Post
    For example, the threads about Pluto not beina a planet anylonger because of some scientists said so; Tomato is a fruit because someone said so, and so it goes.
    You don't

    You create your own reality don't let others take that away from you
    I read once that the ancient Egyptians had fifty words for sand & the Eskimos had a hundred words for snow. I wish I had a thousand words for love, But all that comes to mind is the way you move against me while you sleep & there are no words for that.

  27. #27

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    Why would I "create my own reality" and "make up my own definitions" when a bunch of experts who do nothing with their lives but study planets or tomatos have already gone to the trouble of thinking up a definition for me? I have no problem with their definitions.

    We don't have to believe what "somebody" comes up with as a definition for a tomato. But if it is a botanist who has spent a career studying fruits and vegetables instead of just some random person off the street, then why the heck not? It saves me the trouble of reclassifying all the world's life forms. It saves me the trouble of rediscovering all the objects in the solar system. As far as I can see we should be glad they can be bothered...

  28. #28
    hangin around douseiai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Austin
    Orientation
    Gay
    Posts
    2,374
    Blog Entries
    12

    Code of Conduct

    Re: Why do we have to accept what others think is right.

    aha a clue sherlock
    Mine is the Earth and the sword in the stone, Mine is the throne for the idol
    One fleeting moment, and it is all gone, Crownless again Will I fall?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | About JustUsBoys.com | Site Map | RSS | Webmasters | Advertise | Link to JUB | Report A Bug on this Page

Visit our sister sites: Broke Straight Boys | CollegeDudes.com | CollegeBoyPhysicals.com | RocketTube
All models appearing on JustUsBoys.com were over 18 at the time of photography. The records for sexually explicit images required by U.S. 2257 are kept by the
individual producers of the images. The location of the records is available by clicking the Custodian of Records link at the bottom of each gallery page.
© 2012 JustUsBoys.com. The JustUsBoys.com name and logo are registered trademarks. Labeled with ICRA and RTA. Member of ASACP and The Free Speech Coalition.